× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding: Protocol Type

readyornot
Aspirant

Port Forwarding: Protocol Type

My router/firewall wants me to specify a protocol type for port forwarding. The choices are things like ICMP(1), IGMP(2), TCP(6), etc. Or I can tell it "Custom IP Type". Anyone know which I should choose?

Also, do I need a static public IP for Photos II to work? I don't think my ISP gives me a static IP.
Message 1 of 5
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: Port Forwarding: Protocol Type

Photos II defaults to 8086. If you want to set it to another port, just go into frontview and select Photos II from the addons. On the Summary tab you can change the port used.
Message 2 of 5
chirpa
Luminary

Does your router support UPnP? If so, Photos2 will do the port forwarding on its own, with no setup by you. It would be TCP based.
Message 3 of 5
readyornot
Aspirant

No, it does not support UPnP. I was able to get Photos II working using TCP as the protocal. Thanks!
Message 4 of 5
readyornot
Aspirant

I actually have not been able to get Photos II to work outside my network. I still believe the problem is related to properly setting up port forwarding on my SonicWall Firewall. The SonicWall device wants me to specify a "protocol" as well as a port to forward. I went with the above advice to use TCP as a protocol which I thought fixed the problem, but it doesn't. Is there consensus that TCP is the correct protocol? Does anyone know why TCP has a "(6)" following it? Is that the normal port for TCP? I thought HTTP would be the protocol to use, but it isn't an option to use it to create what SonicWall calls a "service object", which is necessary to create the necessary NAT rules.

Photos II is a neat little add-on that works nicely at home...I just wish I could configure my firewall so i could share my photos with someone other than my wife!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements