× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems running Plex Media Server after 6.6.0 update

jpcarro
Star

Re: Problems running Plex Media Server after 6.6.0 update

Thanks mdgm.  I'm following your progress with ChuckPa over on the Plex forum.  This is all we can ask...that Netgear and Plex work together to resolve the issue.  Hope your latest discovery leads to a fix.

Message 51 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

I've some practical suggestions on what Netgear can do:

Help the Plex developers return a working service to the customer. I'm sure they can assist despite the fact that Plex "develops, distributes, and supports the plex server app."

Learn from this incident - put in place proper measures to protect the end user from such an outage in the future.
Message 52 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

It's good to see Netgear on the case too. Thanks mdgm for your efforts.
Message 53 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Some interesting info posted on the thread over on the Plex forums. The latest seems to indicate that Netgear haven't published all the neccessary packages with 6.6.0, the resolution may well be in Netgears hands......time will tell. They seem to be making headway which is good to see.
Message 54 of 82
jpcarro
Star

I SSH'd in and ran:

apt-get update

Then rebooted and installed PMS 1.1.4 (which was stuck on previous version unable to uninstall or remove)...and I'm streaming again.

Message 55 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Good stuff!

I'm hesitant to ssh in due to potential warranty issues.....nas is only out of the box a couple of weeks.
Message 56 of 82
jpcarro
Star

I was leary about installing some of the other pkg's discussed in the thread, but felt an "apt-get update" was safe enough.  It worked for me and I'm streaming (and transcoding) once again.

BTW, I've since disabled the SSH service.

Message 57 of 82
Eckers
Guide

This sounds positive but with me only being a non-tech user i'm not comfortable using the SSH/Putty method to fix. Is there any timescale on when a consumer friendly update to PMS will be available to fix this issue?

Message 58 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Update.

A number of users are now up and running.

It seems that updating the readynad firmware is fixing the issue. There appear to be some missing packages from the original 6.6.0 release which have now been published.

For now, only ssh'ing into the nas and forcing the update will fix it. Guess we are now waiting on Netgear to roll up a complete 6.6?
Message 59 of 82
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

For those not wanting to run the apt-get update command manually, it is ran after a fresh boot and after one week of uptime (by the rn-update service).  It is also ran daily (by the apt-update service).

Message 60 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Short answer:

So if you have problems with starting Plex for RN2XX since the upgrade to 6.6.0 please try rebooting your NAS or wait it out and it should fix itself. It might be about 5-10 minutes (or perhaps a bit longer - it does depend on things such as your internet connection) after a reboot or so before it fixes itself.

Then you should be able to start Plex which is your confirmation that it is fixed.

More info:

We have uploaded the missing package to our repository.

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix.

You can download the logs and look in packages.log to see which packages are installed. This log is generated from
# dpkg -l

You should see ii next to the package if it is installed properly. The version of libc6:armhf should match the one for libc6:armel

I think if I'm reading it right that the 1.2.2 installer only installs the libc6:armhf package if on firmware prior to 6.6.0 so if you last factory reset on 6.6.0 and installed 1.2.2 rather than 1.1.4 or earlier first the necessary package likely won't be installed. Hopefully Plex fixes this in the next PlexPass version of Plex Media Server.

The public 1.1.4 version should work on 6.6.0 now too, I think.

If you did happen to have done a factory reset on 6.6.0 and installed the 1.2.2 app and there is no libc6:armhf in the packages list (not even an old version that needs updating) you could do:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install libgcc1:armhf libc6:armhf

to force the missing packages to be installed.

Edit: siigna's suggestion below:

Alternatively the libc6:armhf package can be downloaded from our repository and uploaded to the NAS (Apps > Upload), for those uncomfortable with SSH access.  An apt-get update will be performed as part of the installation.

Message 61 of 82
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

@mdgm wrote:

If you did happen to have done a factory reset on 6.6.0 and installed the 1.2.2 app you could do:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install libgcc1:armhf libc6:armhf

Alternatively the libc6:armhf package can be downloaded from our repository and uploaded to the NAS (Apps > Upload), for those uncomfortable with SSH access.  An apt-get update will be performed as part of the installation.

Message 62 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Ok guys. What i needed to do to get up and running was download the package from the netgear repository and upload (see last paragraph of mdgm post). It failed to install but plex did work after attempting to upload the libc6:armhf package. Maybe because the apt-update was performed when i tried to install the package?
Message 63 of 82
Eckers
Guide

Yes, I had exactly the same experience. It's good to have a fully working Plex back. Now I just need to wait three days for my libraries to rebuild and redo all my Playlists...

Message 64 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Lol @Eckers

Snap! Setting up libraries takes ages. I've done movies, kids movies, tv shows. Currently working on music then have to do pictures and home videos.
I had just finished doing this when 6.6.0 struck!
Message 65 of 82
m-frank
Aspirant

There has been a lot of writing on this thread, and now i'm confused. I got a guide from super poussin how to apt-get, but i'm not sure how to ssh and write commands.

Others suggest that I just install the: libc6-armhf-meta_1.0.0_armel.deb But is it also for Inte l(x86) CPUs? (ReadyNAS 516)

I've also spoken to Netgear support, and they say that I shall uninstall the SP LMS and then install Logitech Media Server NT from the Frontview > Apps > Available Apps.

If i choose this solution, i still have to make a 100% uninstall of the SP LMS, and not sure how, since I do not have much experience in ssh.

By the way, does anyone know what the difference is between SP LMS (v1.0.9/v7.9) and Logitech Media Server NT (v7.9.0.b7dfc80-nt1)?

Does anyone have an opinion what will be the best approach for me?

Message 66 of 82
SergeBaeyens
Aspirant

I rebooted my ReadyNAS and I didn't see any changes ?! Plex is still not visible  in the catalogue of available Apps to be installed ?! I should miss something.

Message 67 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@SergeBaeyens wrote:

I rebooted my ReadyNAS and I didn't see any changes ?! Plex is still not visible  in the catalogue of available Apps to be installed ?! I should miss something.

That's because Plex decided not to distriibute it through Netgear - it is not related to the recent issue with 6.6.0 compatibility.

YOu need to download the app from plex.tv and upload it on the apps page of the web ui.

Message 68 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

That's because Plex decided not to distriibute it through Netgear - it is not related to the recent issue with 6.6.0 compatibility.

It's interesting to read that. I was informed over on the Plex forums that the app wasn't available due to some issue on Netgears end? All I know for sure is that it surprised me that it wasn't available via the readynas app store. 

Anyway, I digress from the issue at hand. 

@SergeBaeyens As Stephen has suggested, download via plex.tv. Then on the app tab of the readynas hit the upload button and browse to the file you downloaded from plex.tv. After a couple of minutes if you haven't got a notification just refresh the apps tab. Hopefully you can start Plex from here.

I have tested the latest pms app for both plex pass holders and non plex holders and both work fine. 

Message 69 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Pinkyg wrote:

It's interesting to read that. I was informed over on the Plex forums that the app wasn't available due to some issue on Netgears end? 

It does take two to tango ...

Message 70 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

It most certainly does

It most certainly does
Message 71 of 82
SergeBaeyens
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen. But it still doesn't work ?

I download this one from plex.tv (I have a ReadyNAS 212)

Plex Media Server for Netgear

• Version
  • 1.1.4.2757-24ffd60
  • September 13, 2016

I can upload in my NAs . But when I set it ON I receive an error message. I still make something wrong ?

Message 72 of 82
StephenB
Guru

I think you need 1.2.2

Message 73 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you checked what your packages.log shows for armhf packages?

Message 74 of 82
SergeBaeyens
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I took the 1.2.2 version but still a error message when I set it ON.

It's a nightmare this issue. It's the fault of Apple. When you have a new IOS version , everything works fine. That give you a bad habit that everything is easy ! 🙂 

Message 75 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 34 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements