× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 File Backup to USB Drive

Alexjccim
Apprentice

RN214 File Backup to USB Drive

Hello All,

I transferred 6TB of files from RN214 to USB Drive.  I restored the files back to the RN214 after some volume maintenance.  How do I set up the File Backup app so it backs up changed files on RN214 as opposed to creating a fresh 6TB backup by re-writing the existing files?  I appreciate any help given.  - Alex.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Re: RN214 File Backup to USB Drive

@StephenB wrote:

@Alexjccim wrote:
I am having trouble getting the Host component setup.  I will do some research so i can figure out the Rsync syntax.

Not sure what your problem is.  On the source, you enter

• Name: Remote: Rsync Server
  • Host: 127.0.0.1
  • Port: 0 (just leave it out)
  • Path: NAS Share name (no slashes)

You do need to enable rsync as a protocol in the share settings.

I appreciate your explanations and guidance.  My problem was solved when I enabled the shares for Rsync.

-Alex

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Alexjccim wrote:

Hello All,

I transferred 6TB of files from RN214 to USB Drive.  I restored the files back to the RN214 after some volume maintenance.  How do I set up the File Backup app so it backs up changed files on RN214 as opposed to creating a fresh 6TB backup by re-writing the existing files?  I appreciate any help given.  - Alex.

How is the USB drive connected?  (Is it connected to a NAS USB port, or to a PC)?

One way to accomplish this is to use the rsync protocol as the backup method.  Then set up the NAS share as the "remote" source, using IP address 127.0.0.1, and the USB drive as the "local" destination.

Message 2 of 11
Alexjccim
Apprentice

StephenB,

I connected it to the RN214 USB port.  I will try RSync this evening and report my results.

Thank you,

-Alex

Message 3 of 11
Alexjccim
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

One way to accomplish this is to use the rsync protocol as the backup method.  Then set up the NAS share as the "remote" source, using IP address 127.0.0.1, and the USB drive as the "local" destination.

I am having trouble getting the Host component setup.  I will do some research so i can figure out the Rsync syntax.

-Alex

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Alexjccim wrote:

Message 5 of 11
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Stephen,
Yes, I learned that I needed to set the protocol in both shares. I haven’t triggered it yet. I want to make sure it doesn’t rewrite the data in the USB. Can you tell me some setting that I can look at to ensure I won’t write over data?

-Alex
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Alexjccim wrote:
 Can you tell me some setting that I can look at to ensure I won’t write over data?

Are you simply concerned about the running time? Or is there files on the USB drive that you don't want overwritten because they are different?

Message 7 of 11
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Stephen,

I don't want any of the USB files overwritten until the RN214 overwrites the original file.  I want new files backed up on the USB.  I want deleted files to be deleted from the USB.  Honestly, my problem is I haven't read a detailed explanation of what Rsync is doing.

-Alex   

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Alexjccim wrote:

I want new files backed up on the USB.  I want deleted files to be deleted from the USB.  Honestly, my problem is I haven't read a detailed explanation of what Rsync is doing.

Rsync will copy any file on the source share that is

• newer than the one on the destination USB
  • has a different size than the one on the USB
  • not on the USB at all

There is also an option on the advanced tab that will delete files on the USB that are no longer on the NAS.

Message 9 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

The first RSYNC backup will take a while for the NAS to figure out what's already on the drive, so it will take a lot longer than you might expect for a backup of just new and modified files.  Affter that, the amount of time (shown in the backup log) will show you it's incremental.

The log that's accessable through the GUI is incomplete.  If you really need to verify the first copy is just checking the existing files (though I don't understand why that is a concern), you'll have to look in the downloaded logs..  

Message 10 of 11
Alexjccim
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@Alexjccim wrote:

I appreciate your explanations and guidance.  My problem was solved when I enabled the shares for Rsync.

-Alex

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements