× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 214 - Unable to install Android app on new phone with Android version 13

hornetts
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 214 - Unable to install Android app on new phone with Android version 13

Hi everyone, I have a new Samsung phone that is current with Android V13. When I attempt to install Readycloud (which still runs fine on my old phone), Google Play Store advises that "This app isn't available for your device because it was made for an older version of Android".

Is there a newer app? I still need this capability, and would not expect a newer version of Android to be an obstacle. Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 214 - Unable to install Android app on new phone with Android version 13

Since ReadyCloud is about to be retired, I don't know why you would bother.  Netgear certainly isn't going to update it at this point.

Message 2 of 9
hornetts
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 214 - Unable to install Android app on new phone with Android version 13

Honestly and with respect, I have business needs to meet so until I get a formal notification from Netgear (which I have yet to receive), this NAS and its functionality is what I'm continuing to move forward with. When I receive notification from Netgear that this NAS is being decommissioned, then I'll replace it, although it definitely won't be with another Netgear product.

I just bought a QNAP TS-932PX-4G for a customer, and I'm liking their product. They appear to have an ongoing product path and great support for it.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@hornetts wrote:

Honestly and with respect, I have business needs to meet so until I get a formal notification from Netgear (which I have yet to receive), 

Not sure what you mean by "formal notification", but Netgear has said this:

No idea if they will bother to send out an email to registered customers or not - I did not receive one.

"Decommissioning the NAS" is not the same as shutting down ReadyCloud.  Netgear has shut down similar free services in the past - Ready Remote, Replicate, and ReadyNAS Photos are some examples. I agree with @Sandshark that it is very unlikely that Netgear will release a new ReadyCloud app at this point.

I believe you will find that Netgear will shut down ReadyCloud (though perhaps somewhat later than the announced date). If you have a business need that requires ReadyCloud, I suggest you should have a contingency plan in place.

@hornetts wrote:

When I receive notification from Netgear that this NAS is being decommissioned, then I'll replace it, although it definitely won't be with another Netgear product.

My own assessment is that Netgear is quiet-quitting the NAS business.  They haven't introduced a new ReadyNAS product since 2017.  Manufacturing appears to have stopped a couple years ago (try to find a new model for sale).  Several posters here are saying they cannot get paid support.  

Netgear is a bit hit-or-miss on marking products on their support pages as end-of-life.  My Pro-6 has been end of life for years, but https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rndp6000-200_(readynas_pro_6) doesn't show that.  The RN214 doesn't either, but newer OS-6 NAS like the RN424 do.  However, several RN214 part numbers are listed on the EOL list here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear/pdfs/EOL.pdf

FWIW, I haven't ever received an email saying any of my ReadyNAS have been put on the EOL list.  I have received email notifications when Netgear announced there would be no more security updates for my older 4.2.x and 4.1.x systems.

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Honestly and with respect:  You're screwed.  Obviously, I don't work for or answer to Netgear.  They'd fire me if I did.  That's my personal assessment.  Not what you want to hear, I'm sure; but a fact.  But trust me, you aren't alone.  In fact, you're now a step ahead of many, who still don't know it.  Had the incompatibility with Android 13 not caused you to come here, you'd still be in the dark.

I guess you missed the NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here. in the banner here in the forum.  It used to say April, BTW, so they could slide it more, but I wouldn't count on it.  Could and should Netgear send announcements to every registered ReadyNAS Remote user email?  Absolutely!  Will they?  Obviously not.  They made the announcement very quietly here in the forum quite some time ago and have sent out no notifications to users.  It's also on the main ReadyCloud page, but since I don't use ReadyCloud, I don't know for how long.  But, of course, once registered, many users have no reason to go to that site because they just use the app.  And, BTW, it affects a lot more than just ReadyNAS users, it affects users who use ReadyCloud with a USB drive attached to their router.

Netgear has made no attempt to offer users any kind of replacement or even advice on one.  They haven't even said how a ReadyCloud user is supposed to log in once ReadyCloud is terminated, since they cannot currently log in to the NAS locally.  At this point, I'm just assuming the answer will be "they can't" and network managers will be scrambling to create local accounts for all and transfer any ReadyCloud account personal folder data to the new local account one (including setting up permissions for that data) in addition to setting up an alternative remote access method.  That's a lot of hoops to jump through even with advanced notification.

There are discussions in the forum about potential replacements, none of which were initiated by or have been added to by Netgear.   I posted concerning my preferred remote access method, ZeroTier.  I rejected using ReadyCloud when Netgear ended ReadyNAS Remote years ago (also with limited notification, but at least with a replacement for some) and have been using ZeroTier instead for years.

So wait for formal notification if you wish.  But doing so will likely leave you in a very bad place when Netgear finally does pull the rug out from under you.

Message 5 of 9
VicksJ
Aspirant

I tried installing zerotier on RN212 but failed, can you please guide how to do it

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Message 7 of 9
VicksJ
Aspirant

Thanks, I tried running curl  -s https://install.zerotier.com/ |  bash but it failed installation as some packages are not found, can you please check and confirm its working for you now. I am running it on ARM

Message 8 of 9
VicksJ
Aspirant

ok so installed iproute2 manually and then installed 1.4.0 deb as stated in other thread and its working now. thanks for the help

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements