× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Desktop Client changes backups into syncs

Mad_Pierre
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Desktop Client changes backups into syncs

I cannot reliably use my ReadyNAS 204 as a backup device using the ReadyCloud Desktop client App in Windows 10! 😞

•  I do "Backup PC Folder" and it creates the back up correctly, does all the indexing and backs up my files.
  • After a random amount of time of normal PC use (days rather than hours usually) the backup icon in the client changes to a "sync" folder rather than a "backup" so no backups occur on that folder thereafter.  See picture. All visible folders were once backups.

The only solution I have found is to delete the files from my ReadyNAS via admin and re-do the "Backup PC Folder" for each affected folder. A lengthy and painful process when some of the folders contain large numbers of large files. This also leaves me without a backup for the period of re-creation.

• I am on the latest version of the client 1.17
  • ReadyNAS is on latest firmware 6.10.1
  • This has happened on previous versions of the above.
  • This has happened on multiple Windows 10 Pro PCs

1. Is there a way to fix it without re-creating the backup from scratch? I can find no "jobs" or similar to edit /re-run/whatever
  2. Is the client going to be fixed to stop this?
  3. Should I just give up on the client and use other backup software or Windows backup?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Desktop Client changes backups into syncs

@Mad_Pierre wrote:
  1. Should I just give up on the client and use other backup software or Windows backup?

I'd seriously consider doing that.  ReadyCloud limits the location of the source folder, and as you've found it doesn't have much in the way of troubleshooting or controls.

Personally I use Acronis TrueImage on the PCs (backing up to a location on the NAS).  Of course there are a lot of other options.

Message 2 of 4
Mad_Pierre
Aspirant

Ok. Figured that might be the answer 😞 I've started a Windows backup for now...

Can I uninstall the client or do I need it to make shares work?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Mad_Pierre wrote:

Can I uninstall the client or do I need it to make shares work?

You can uninstall the client if you aren't using ReadyCloud to access the NAS remotely.

It's not installed on any of my devices.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements