× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Surveillance backup to Dropbox

Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

ReadyNAS Surveillance backup to Dropbox

Hello All,

I am looking for some direction.  I would like to know some options on backing up my ReadyNAS Surveillance video to dropbox.  Obviously, the desire is for a remote backup on the cloud of my surveillance footage.  So if something happened to the NVR system, I would have a secondary backup.

Thank you in advance,

-Alex

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Surveillance backup to Dropbox

Hello Alex_CCIM,

DropBox of ReadyNAS uses the shares of the NAS.

Video data from ReadyNAS Surveillance I believe is not something you will find from the share list. You may need to manually do it from Windows explorer drag and drop or copy paste to one of the shares.

See page 44 at http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Surveillance_UM_7May12.pdf

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

JennC,

I appreciate the fast response.  Your answer brings up more questions for me.

1) Where do i find the video footage?

2) Is there an automatic way of making it accessible to Dropbox for ReadyNAS?

To be honest...

3) I havent even been able to get the Surveillance Backup to work yet.  I am trying to FTP it into another NAS that I have and I cant get it to work.  I am not getting error messages either.  I am getting the 'auto start for backup' in the log but nothing after that.  I am not getting any error message from the 'test FTP' button.  No response either.  I will place an eventual trouble ticket on this.

4) I am also having issues with the Dropbox for ReadyNAS app as well.   Another issue I have a trouble ticket on.

Regardless of #3 and #4:

5) Are the backups only readable from the surveillance playback system?  I assume the raw footage is as such?

I am sorry for all the noob questions.  I just got my ReadyNAS Surveillance up and running with 3 cameras.  I am still in the learning stage but I like it.  I plan on adding 2 more cameras.

Thank you,

-Alex

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Alex_CCIM,

See page 70 of ReadyNAS Surveillance user manual. This has instructions how to save the video as AVI or ASF.

To get the video file that is on page 44. I don't think there is an automatic way to make it accessible to DropBox. If the file is AVI then it won't need the app to read it. Please try the Windows first see if you can manually copy or transfer file from the location to one of the shares of the NAS.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

JennC,

Unfortunately, the raw footage is some proprietary format.  Having to manually save everything to a AVI file isnt realistic as a backup.  From your answers, that tells me that the answer to my question is really - No.  There isnt a way to make a readable backup to Dropbox.  I just now need to figure out how to make an auto backup of the raw data to dropbox.  I can work with that.

-Alex

Message 5 of 6
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

ReadyNAS Surveilance , use backup to another NAS Shared drive thru a FTP (Backup Server) . From the second ReadyNAS , use the built in Dropbox push the folder .

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements