× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas SDK 3.0 (unofficial)

MyC0w
Aspirant

ReadyNas SDK 3.0 (unofficial)

Hello

As most of you know NetGear had released an SDK which can be used to create applications for their ReadyNas devices, as they have realised updated firmware and a new platform (ARM) it seems that they have forgotten to update the SDK.

This is where I have come from, while trying to create a application using this SDK it was noted that the example they provide (run a service for a set number of seconds) just didn’t work. While looking around these forums a few people have put forward bug fixes and other suggestions. After making these changes a somewhat working application was created and installed on a Duo V2 (ARM). While playing with this SDK environment it become confusing on what files you needed edit as there where duplicates of files within, which seemed like, random folders.

After a few hours playing around with that environment and getting nowhere fast, I came up with something which solves that problem as well as including all the bug fixes suggested on here along with many others which were picked up when creating the new environment.

So here we are the unofficial release of the ReadyNas SDK 3.0. It’s aimed at developers wanting to create their application on a Linux based machine instead of on the device itself. It’s been tested and on an uBuntu 11.04 along with a ReadNas Duo v2 (ARM). Can’t see any issues with it creating working applications for x86 or Spac devices, but I don’t have the means of testing on those devices.

**This is being classed as an unofficial update as I’m in no way associated with NetGear because of this use at your own risk.**

Below you can see the change log along with link to download it

Changes from Version 2.0
------------------------

1. New Folder structure

add-on/
add-on/bin/ Location of the built add-on (add-on_version.bin)
add-on/config/ Add-on configuration files
add-on/config/apache/ Apache configuration file
add-on/src/
add-on/src/control/ Add-on control scripts
add-on/src/FrontView_UI/ Front view add-on control interface
add-on/src/FrontView_UI/language/ Language files

2. Added <icon_url> to config/ADDON.xml
Now able to change the icon location after the add-on has been created

3. Added a 'auto' language to add-on/src/FrontView_UI/language/
Stops errors when the ReadyNas interface language is set to automatic

4. Bug fix in config/ADDON.xml
Removed /addons/%ADDON%/ from <get_url> and <set_url>

5. Removed .addon_build_settings
The settings within this file could be retrieved from the xml files within the configuration
folder. Removing this settings file removes the need to update more than one file when
changing the value of:
DETAIL_URL, CURRENT_URL, ICON_URL, REBOOT_REQUIRED, RESTART_APACHE, MIN_RAIDIATOR_VERSION

6. Added <reboot_required> to addon_current.xml
In the last update change log is stated that <reboot_required> was added to addon_current.conf
this was not the case. This is used to restart the ReadyNas device.

7. Added <restart_apache> to addon_current.xml
This is used to restart Apache (y/n)

8. Added a debug option when installing the addon, see install.sh to enable/disable
Logs the installation process of the addon if enable these can be seen on the
System -> Info page

9. ./bin/build_addon
Now requires 2 arguments first one being the host machine type (x86, sparc, arm) as well as
the target type (x86, sparc, arm). For example if developing the addon on a linux machine (x86)
and creating a addon for the Duo V2 (arm) the following command needs to be entered
./bin/build_addon x86 arm

10.Bug Fix addon service not added to /etc/default/services
Within the install.sh there should be two default options added <addon>=1 and <addon>_SUPPORT=1.
<addon> was not added, this meant that the addon could not be enabled or disabled.

Current Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rh5b6s3nncz6w40

ReadyNas SDK 3.0 (unofficial) (12.09.12)

Comments, suggestions and bug reports all welcome.

Regards,
Andrew
Message 1 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

Re: ReadyNas SDK 3.0 (unofficial)

Things are being pushed to the Smart Network SDK, away from the legacy add-on SDK.
Message 2 of 6
MyC0w
Aspirant

Came across that while doing a bit of research when working on this SDK but the Smart Network SDK seemed dead with nothing coming out of it apps wise, most links referring to it have been moved/deleted. If you got more information about it care to share the links?
Message 3 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

Smart Network is NTGR's future for unified apps. I don't have anymore info, maybe JabbaTheHut can chime in.
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's another community SDK for the old add-on framework here: http://gitorious.org/readynas/frontview-sdk
Message 5 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

I would look into the SDK mdgm linked, as the FrontView SDK doesn't appear to be maintained anymore. Yoh-dah was the one that would update it, with him and me gone, lot of that stuff is now idle.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements