× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro Business Edition - How to install libio-socket-ssl-perl ?

bethjim
Aspirant

Readynas Pro Business Edition - How to install libio-socket-ssl-perl ?

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition - OS 6.7.5

Logitech Media Server (LMS) 7.9.1

I'm trying to run a plugin called Spotty in LMS but it fails with this error message:

"Spotty requires the Perl module IO Socket SSL. You can NOT use Spotty without this module. Please use your operating system's package manager to install it."

I asked over on the LMS board and it was suggested that I "Check with the ReadyNAS community how to install libio-socket-ssl-perl. It's likely something like "sudo apt-get install libio-socket-ssl-perl".

I'm a bit lost...help?  Anybody?

Thanks 

Jim

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas Pro Business Edition - How to install libio-socket-ssl-perl ?

You will need to enable SSH access and then use an SSH client such as Putty to connect to the NAS.  Log in as user root using the admin password.  Once there, do an apt-get update and then the apt-get command they gave you (without sudo, since you are already logged on as root).

You may also be able to do it via an app like Shell in a box, but I've not tried that.

Note that this will likely install the app in the root partition, which is of limited size on the ReadyNAS.  If this app creates large databases and/or logs, that could cause issues with the OS partition filling up.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

You will need to enable SSH access and then use an SSH client such as Putty to connect to the NAS.  Log in as user root using the admin password.  Once there, do an apt-get update and then the apt-get command they gave you (without sudo, since you are already logged on as root).

You may also be able to do it via an app like Shell in a box, but I've not tried that.

Note that this will likely install the app in the root partition, which is of limited size on the ReadyNAS.  If this app creates large databases and/or logs, that could cause issues with the OS partition filling up.

Message 2 of 13
ABNL
Guide

OK, I logged in with Putty. I tried to find the right command. Then this happens:

login as: root
root@xxx.xxx.x.xx's password:

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.7.5

root@ReadyNAS:~# apt-get update
Hit:1 http://egnyte-cdn.egnyte.com/storagesync/netgear6/en-us 6.7 InRelease
Get:2 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates InRelease [63.1 kB]
Hit:3 http://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.7.5 InRelease
Ign:4 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian jessie InRelease
Hit:5 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian jessie Release
Fetched 63.1 kB in 2s (26.9 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
root@ReadyNAS:~#

I do not know what to do now? This is what I should do?

"and then the apt-get command they gave you (without sudo, since you are already logged on as root)"

Who are "they" and what is a "sudo" and what did they give me?

Message 3 of 13
ncameron
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

I am trying to do the same thing. I got as far as donwloading Putty and logging on as root, but when I try the 'apt-get update' command, I receive ''apt-get is not recognised as an internal or external command...'?

Message 4 of 13
ABNL
Guide

To make Spotty work (use newest firmware on your ReadyNas and newest LMS)

first:

apt-get update

then:

apt install libio-socket-ssl-perl

Message 5 of 13
bethjim
Aspirant

@ncameron wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

I am trying to do the same thing. I got as far as donwloading Putty and logging on as root, but when I try the 'apt-get update' command, I receive ''apt-get is not recognised as an internal or external command...'?

ncameron - I was successful with the same directions as above using Putty.  I have however updated my ReadyNAS to OS 6 firmware and run LMS 7.9.1.  Not sure if that's the difference or not but everything updated on the NAS and the Spotty plugin is installed and running well in LMS.

Message 6 of 13
ncameron
Aspirant

Do you have to be locally attached to do this successfully?

I am trying to do it via remote access across the Atlantic...

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ncameron wrote:

Do you have to be locally attached to do this successfully?

I am trying to do it via remote access across the Atlantic...

That depends.

-if you have a VPN connection to your home network, you can.

-if you've forwarded port 22 in the Pro's router to the Pro, then you can.

Otherwise, you won't be able to use ssh at all.

Message 8 of 13
ncameron
Aspirant

Sorry; I should have been clearer...

I am not trying to stream music from the ReadyNAS LMS in the US, just connect to it remotely and install the SHH module, and set up Spotty, so that next time I'm over there, it just works.

So I connected to Root via Putty remotely, but when I ran the command specified it wasn't recognised - I was just wondering if that was becuase I was remotely attached...

Message 9 of 13
ABNL
Guide

In your Admin page, select SSH to activate (no installation needed). You use Putty to install Perl.

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ncameron wrote:

So I connected to Root via Putty remotely, but when I ran the command specified it wasn't recognised - I was just wondering if that was becuase I was remotely attached...

What exactly did you type?

Message 11 of 13
ncameron
Aspirant

I typed apt-get update

It was said that i did not have to prefix it with sudo, since I was already logged on as root.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ncameron wrote:

I typed apt-get update

It was said that i did not have to prefix it with sudo, since I was already logged on as root.

That's correct.  Did you log in as root, using the admin password?  Or did you log in as admin?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements