× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Real World Usage Examples

Gurutek
Aspirant

Real World Usage Examples

Hi Gents; hoping someone can give me some advice here:

I've been using various forms or readynas for the past 8 or so years (Pre Netgear Days Even!!). I'm now looking to put in a basic CCTV setup at home. I have a ReadyNAS Pro (12TB), and am hoping to get 4 x Axis 1.3mega pixel network camera's (Hoping to capture 25fps at 1280 x 1200), and use the ReadyNAS pro to monitor / capture / control the system. As this seems to be a rather new area for netgear, I'm wondering if anyone has a similar CCTV network setup successfully? Will I still be able to use the ReadyNAS pro for file serving / squeeze center?

Are there any specific limitations I should know of? What are the benefits of the ReadyNAS product offering compared with the Synology offering?
Message 1 of 6
Gurutek
Aspirant

Re: Real World Usage Examples

Is anybody using this as a home CCTV monitoring solution?
Message 2 of 6
Gurutek
Aspirant

24 viewings and no answers.... either everyone reading are visiting (and also wondering if anyone has had an real world experience), or I've offended the Jedi Council?
Message 3 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

The Jedi Council don't visit the forums much anymore.

Four cameras at that rate should be fine to a Pro 6. Going to have the cameras natively save via CIFS/NFS to a share?

In the past, I've installed http://motion.sf.net on the NAS, and had it pull from camera feeds, since my cameras didn't have decent built-in motion detection. Forum user WhoCares also made an add-on that does basically this setup, but with more GUI: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=52968
Message 4 of 6
Gurutek
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Chirpa - I thought you'd left Netgear? I'm confused how the ReadyNAS Surveillance addon records the CCTV video stream - I pesume you set this up all within the addon's console? Or are you saying you don't need to install ReadyNAS surveillance, and can merely setup the camera's individually, and use another addon for movement detection? If this is the case, then you don't really need the addon?

Sorry - A bit new to the whole surveillance arena 🙂
Message 5 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

I did leave NTGR, but someones gotta stick around the forums and help out 😉

Surveillance pulls from the cameras also. You setup the camera IP info in the addon GUI, then it pulls down the video feed and saves it. Some cameras like Axis have the ability to push to a remote server as well.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements