× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow write speeds again

Sput
Aspirant

Slow write speeds again

I posted about a month ago about a problem with slow write speeds and after a bit of digging around it turned out I had thouseands of small files which were being copied hense the slow down in data speed.

My slow data transfer speeds are back again, the attached photo shows copying an ISO from my desktop to the Readynas and also the desktop to a VM running in esx.

The copy to the VM shows the kind of speeds I was getting writing to the NAS but as you can see im getting nowehre near those speeds writing to the nas.

The NAS has 2 GB lan connections bonded together as an LACP layer 2 connection and the unifi switch is also set to bond the two ports together.

As a test I have tried to write from the VM to the nas and got good write speed to the nas, which is where I get confused and stuck.

Desktop > VM ok (implies no problems with the desktop)

VM > NAS ok (implies no problems with the NAS)

What do people suggest I look into?

Many thanks

Sput

Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Slow write speeds again

What speeds are you seeing from the desktop -> NAS when you aren't simultaneously transfering from desktop->VM?

Also, what speeds are you seeing from NAS->desktop?

Is strict sync enabled on the NAS share?

Message 2 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

Heres a shot of when copying only to the nas, still slow performance.

Strict sync isnt enabled on the share no

Sput

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Thx.  What is the speed in the other direction?

Message 4 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help with this puzzler.  I have attached some photos showing data speeds to the nas and from the nas to my desktop PC, and I have also put in speeds from my desktop to a VM and from that VM to the nas.

• The following shows write speeds, from desktop PC (an ssd) to the nas
  • This shows data going the other way from the NAS to the SSD Desktop pc
  • The following shows speeds from a VM running on esx to the nas
  • The next one shows from SSD to VM

Number 1 shows the problematic situation,

Number 2 shows its in one direction as 40MB read is acceptable im guessing. 

Number 3 Shows that writing to the netgear nas is going at an acceptable speed, which makes me think that nas/networking is ok.  Number 4 showing from my desktop on SSD to the VM which was number 3 shows that my desktop writes ok to other locations, making me think the desktop is ok.

Where should I be looking to next if I think I can write out from the desktop OK (4) and I can write to the nas ok (3)  Im a bit of a loss.

I had this kind of problem about a month ago and posted a forum post, and it turned out the data I was copying from the desktop to the nas was a folder with tens of thousands of small files which is why speed went terrible, but this is just copying one ISO or Video file….

It looks like everything is working as it should other than from my desktop to the nas.

I have a couple of USB ethernet adaptors, is it worth testing with one of these?

Sput

Message 5 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

Have just tested the USB ethernet adapter, was good write speeds to the VM, poor write speeds < 1MB/s to the nas, illogical and inexplicable.

I have also tested writing to different shares on the NAS from the Desktop and the same low performance is seen.

Im loathed to rebuild the desktop as it will write to other comuters on the network without problem

Message 6 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

I have also eliminated DNS as an issue, accessing the NAS via IP does the same

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

This is an RN202, correct?

Is it possible to connect the desktop to the same NIC port that the machine hosting the VM is using? Then see if speed changes.

Message 8 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

Evening @StephenB 

I have some updates, yes indeed a readynas rn202.  A little background on myself, Ive been in IT for 15 odd years and before that an enthusiast with good knowledge.

I have been methodical with my testing and documenting things as making too many changes cause no real solution, as you saw.  I have had a fault on my broadband line the last couple of days, which in my head should have no bearing on the internal LAN speeds.  Today BT have been out and claim to have fixed the problem with the broadband.

I did a test before posting this from the PC to the NAS and had the same 335kb/s transfer, and was thinking about what you said about changing to the LAN port feeding ESX, and thought lets just test by swapping out the cat5 between switch and patch panel, and then between patch panel and PC.

Swapped the patch between the panel and the switch and heypresto 98MB/s from the desktop to the nas.  I figured damn it faulty patch cable thats a mere two months old.  So then put the original patch back in and got 98MB/s again, the IT tech in me says something odds gone/going on.  I dont see how a fault with the broadband can cause problems internally and Ive tried two routers, initially with a Unifi USG and then with a HH4 and the a HH5, I will for the time being call this concluded, Im going to leave the HH5 in for a few days while BT sorts the broadband speeds out, but I think we might have a resolution, all be it in explicable.

Give me a few days of testing about and will report back.  Thankyou for being a great assistance over the last few days.

Sput

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sput wrote:

I dont see how a fault with the broadband can cause problems internally

Me either.

@Sput wrote:

Swapped the patch between the panel and the switch and heypresto 98MB/s from the desktop to the nas.  I figured damn it faulty patch cable thats a mere two months old.  So then put the original patch back in and got 98MB/s again, the IT tech in me says something odds gone/going on. 

That is interesting, and makes me wonder if there was a bad connection at the panel (or switch).

Message 10 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

I will swap the patching between the Desktop and the Hue bridge this evening, as lets face it Hue does not need gigabit 😄 and see what impact that has, perhaps will need to repunch the panel....

Will keep you posted

Sput

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Is the switch in question a "green" one that dials down the power based on the signal strength?  If so, unplugging and re-plugging likely reset that.  It would mean that the logic isn't doing a very good job at selecting the appropriate power setting, so I don't know of a good solution.

Message 12 of 13
Sput
Aspirant

Hi @Sandshark not aware of the Unifi switch having that kind of power saving feature, having used them for the last couple of years id imagine id have seen it happen before.

@StephenB I have swapped the ports with the hue bridge, and so far so good.  Will keep it this way for a few days and swap back if the speed decreases again ill look at reterminating the port.

Shall keep everyone posted.  

Thanks for the help, have a good evening all

Sput

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements