× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

So I installed the Java addon. But where is it?

Scouser
Aspirant

So I installed the Java addon. But where is it?

Title says it all.
Message 1 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: So I installed the Java addon. But where is it?

Most likely not on your hard disk and not on the ReadyNAS otherwise you wouldn't be asking 😉
Looking at what the add-on actually does you may try to run this command from your SSH shell and see what happens
apt-get -y install sun-java5-jre

This may at least give a clue as to what happened during the installation of the add-on.

-Stefan
Message 2 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Stefan. I really would like to get Java up and running so that I can attempt to install serviio.

Here's the result of the command you suggest:

MainStore:/# apt-get -y install sun-java5-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
java-common sun-java5-bin
Suggested packages:
equivs sun-java5-plugin ia32-sun-java5-plugin sun-java5-fonts ttf-baekmuk ttf-unfonts ttf-unfonts-core ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho
ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-uming
Recommended packages:
libasound2 libxext6 libxi6 libxp6 libxt6 libxtst6 gsfonts-x11
The following NEW packages will be installed:
java-common sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jre
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 30.0MB of archives.
After unpacking 83.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
java-common
E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
MainStore:/#

The thing I dont understand is that I installed it via frontview and it never barked. Just installed and said good to go. I dont see anythng in /var/log.

of course, on 4.2.19 I cant run apt-get update. What is the score with this anyway? When can we expect to be able to get it?
Message 3 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Scouser wrote:
Thanks for your reply Stefan. I really would like to get Java up and running so that I can attempt to install servo.

I *think* I once built a "real" add-on for OpenJDK 1.6. Real in the sense that it doesn't rely on apt-get to work but comes with all the needed binaries in the package. No promises given but I can have a look whether I still have that.

Scouser wrote:
The thing I dont understand is that I installed it via frontview and it never barked. Just installed and said good to go. I dont see anythng in /var/log.

Well, the installer will only bark when told to do so 😉 And since the apt-get command would always return an error code, even with -y specified, it makes sense to not bark there.

Scouser wrote:
of course, on 4.2.19 I cant run apt-get update. What is the score with this anyway? When can we expect to be able to get it?

I don't think I understand what your question is, there. Can you clarify?

-Stefan
Message 4 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

I *think* I once built a "real" add-on for OpenJDK 1.6. Real in the sense that it doesn't rely on apt-get to work but comes with all the needed binaries in the package. No promises given but I can have a look whether I still have that.

That would be really appreciated. Thank you so much.

Scouser wrote:

I don't think I understand what your question is, there. Can you clarify?

I can't get apt-get update to work. It barfs with "W: GPG error: http://www.readynas.com 4.2.19/ Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B7F02108D553259A"

As I understand it, the SDK for 4.2.19 is not yet available. Just wondering when it will come. Feeling rather nude without a dev kit on my new baby :cry:

-Stefan[/quote]
Message 5 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Scouser wrote:
I can't get apt-get update to work. It barfs with "W: GPG error: http://www.readynas.com 4.2.19/ Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B7F02108D553259A"

Well, what you can do as an interim solution is to disable the 4.2.19 repository in the sources.list file to get the more standard stuff from the Debian repos and recompile the rest from the GPL sources.

-Stefan
Message 6 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

I considered doing this. But was worried that I might stomp on something by overwriting existing system files. ( I mean if I do an apt-get "somestuff" as root!)
I will give this a go. Thanks again for the help.
Message 7 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Cool. That did the trick.

MainStore:/etc/apt# java -version
java version "1.5.0_14"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_14-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_14-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
MainStore:/etc/apt#

Thanks heaps.
Message 8 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Alas this is no good to me. I need Java6.
Cant seem to find the debian backport for sun-java6-jre .
Message 9 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Afaik there is no backport for JRE6/JDK6 to etch. That was the reason I built the OpenJDK 6 stuff in the first place 😉 I'll see what I find.

-Stefan
Message 10 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Ah! so no wonder I could not find it. Appreciate your help Stefan. I have Serviio installed and ready on the Nas. If it works, I will have a go at packaging it up.
D you know if there is a dev kit available for frontview for 4.2.19? I.e., to build an addon plugin. I found http://www.readynas.com/?p=346 but it seems old (2008). Do you know if these instructions still apply?
Thanks again
Message 11 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

While the article you found really is quite old, the SDK that it links is to is updated regularly. So in fact the SDK you can download from there has been updated like two weeks ago and now even contains the code for the ARM architecture. But don't expect too much from the SDK. It will get you started but that's about it. Oh, and maybe it will confuse you, too 😉

-Stefan
Message 12 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Thanks Stefan. I am an old time Unix hack. I have done quite a bit of work on Linux in the past...written many a device driver. But because there are so many variants of Linux, each has its quirks. I have not worked on etch before so its just a mater of me playing about and getting used to another Linux distro. Trying to get my head around the many debian distros is difficult as it is. But once I am up to speed, I hope to be able to contribute. Getting a pucker dev kit with C compiler is of paramount importance. I am holding out for it with fingers crossed. I have not got another machine to work on otherwise I would build a dev kit on that instead. I am thnking of setting up a VM on my Mac to do that, but would really like to see the native kit. But I see that lots of people are building/developing packages for x64 so it must be able to be done. Maybe I just need to understand the environment I need. Still digging around learning 😉
Cheers
Berny
Message 13 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Berny,

since you don't have a separate machine to develop on I'd suggest you take a look into debootstrapping a clean etch environment onto your ReadyNAS. Once I'm back in my office I can send you a link on how to do that.

-Stefan
Message 14 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Brill! look forward to it. Thanks again.
Berny
Message 15 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Here you go: http://wiki.wefixit.de/readynas:building

Just ignore any German text and make sure to replace "lenny" with "etch".

-Stefan
Message 16 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Hmmm. Got:

This topic does not exist yet

You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If permissions allow, you may create it by using the Create this page button.
Message 17 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Found it:
http://wiki.wefixit.de/readynas:buildenv

Thanks. Will look at this tomorrow when I can get some free time 😉
Message 18 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Scouser wrote:
Found it:
http://wiki.wefixit.de/readynas:buildenv

Wtf? Sometimes I really, really hate the auto-spellchecker of my Mac. Just tried it again and for sure it automatically replaces buildenv with building. Sorry.

-Stefan
Message 19 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Anyhow, if you PM me your email address I'll send you an OpenJRE 6 add-on for testing.

-Stefan
Message 20 of 48
Scouser
Aspirant

Hi Stefan,
Sorry for the late reply. I only got to play this morning.
Got your package thanks heaps for this. Installed it perfectly but alas it didnt work because serviio requires GUI stuff.
But......
I figured out how to get Sun's Java 6 installed albeit there is still a problem.....read on....

First, to install Sun's Java6 JRE on x86 NAS do the following:

1. Add "deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-backports etch-backports main non-free" to /etc/apt/sources.list
2. type apt-get update
3. type dpkg-reconfigure debconf
Select Option 1 Dialog
Select Option 3 Medium
4. type apt-get install sun-java6-jre

So now that I have a pucker Java6 JRE, I started serviio but it blew out because I don't have DISPLAY set.

I have tried all sorts of suggestions to do this but can't get an xterm/SSH session from my Mac (Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ) to forward the DISPLAY variable to the SSH session on the NAS. Tried ssh -X root@nas, Tried setting XForwarding on (local ssh_config) and so on. I can login ok but echo $DISPLAY gives me nada.
Any ideas?
I thought I would ask you as you use a Mac too.
Bottom line is I want to run an X application on the NAS but want it to open up a window on the Mac.

Hmmm...nw router has arrived. Maybe offline for a little while 😉
Message 21 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

That's tough luck then because for any $DISPLAY to work properly, you'd need the X-Windows system with all or at least most of it's libraries installed on the ReadyNAS. I don't think there's enough room on the system partition for that.

-Stefan
Message 22 of 48
sphardy1
Apprentice

Is there not a web interface for serviio to avoid having to use X-Windows?
Message 23 of 48
WhoCares_
Mentor

Haven't seen any but didn't look too closely either.

-Stefan
Message 24 of 48
sphardy1
Apprentice

Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements