× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Support for Foscam FI8918W IP Camera

Support for Foscam FI8918W IP Camera

I have a few of theses and would like to add them.
The Panasonics work very well so far.
B
Message 1 of 38
JabbaTheHutt
Tutor

Re: Support for Foscam FI8918W IP Camera

Thanks for the input regarding Foscam. We'll review as part of our ongoing camera support plan. Glad your Panasonic camera is working well.
Message 2 of 38
stephenc01
Aspirant

+1
Message 3 of 38
Oblivion1
Tutor

Any news regarding Foscam support ?
Support for Foscam FI8904W and Foscam FI8905W are also wanted..
Message 4 of 38
TheSwede86
Aspirant

+1, want support for FI8905W. I am waiting for the camera to be supported and that will decide if I buy Netgear or go for a Synology which already has this camera and other Foscam supported.

Can we get any official updates in regard to this?
I have a Netgear NAS waiting for me to pick it up and if I get an answer if/when it will be implemented I can pick it up and start using it :wink:
Message 5 of 38
nsj
Aspirant
Aspirant

want support for three Foscam Fi8910W.
Thankx
Message 6 of 38
ryancar
Aspirant

+1 request for FI8918W support.
Message 7 of 38
MisterRico
Aspirant

+1 request for FI8918W support (and other foscam models)

http://www.foscam.com/pro.aspx?TypeID=1
Message 8 of 38
geggog
Aspirant

+1

Any chance we could get an update on the likelihood of the Foscam cameras being added?
Message 9 of 38
TheSwede86
Aspirant

geggog wrote:
+1

Any chance we could get an update on the likelihood of the Foscam cameras being added?

+1, there seems to be a real interest in getting Foscam support so it would be nice to get an official update, bought a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 and it would be great if Foscam support would be implemented. In a reply (of course) the more information would be better i.e. "We are looking into it" compared to "It will be in a future release that is estimated to be released in October" but of course that varies due to what information is available (for you guys - "Netgear" - to disclose).
Message 10 of 38
pacifox
Aspirant

Hi,

No news for the new beta 1.2 release !!

Why no support for Foscam ?

thank's
Message 11 of 38
grr1
Aspirant

Voting for Foscam support as well... 🙂
Message 12 of 38
wdrumheller
Aspirant

Yes, Voting for Foscam support. Is there any way to view the feed from the camera, even if the PTZ is not supported? I have several of these cameras already, and the ReadyNAS Pro, and I bought the Surveillance program, and I'm trying to get this system to work. So, I've spent the money and didn't check the compatibility list well and now I'm looking for a "fix" to this issue. I'll probably end up buying a bunch of new cameras, but I'd like to avoid that expense if I can.
Message 13 of 38
btaroli
Prodigy

Well, this is a real bummer. We're camera shopping for our nursery (and planning to use cameras also for nanny-cam) and was hoping to leverage this capability with my ReadyNAS. But so far the best-rated camera is Foscam... and yet no support. 😞

Also a little nervous, looking back through the forum, at how little activity there has been with the development on this. Still beta and we're almost in February of 2013? This sort of trend seems a lot like some other third party cooperations that fizzled in the past, and makes me a little leery of trying this out. Can anyone comment on this specifically? Does the 1.2 beta feel fully baked and I shouldn't worry?
Message 14 of 38
btaroli
Prodigy

Been doing some more research, and there *is* a path to supporting the very newest Foscam model, the FI9821W (though the critical factor is H.264 support, so the FI9820W is supported too), using the newly released DVBLink IPTV module. Seems that IPTV, for them, includes H.264 streams from cameras. 😄 So I'm leaning now toward doing that for my needs instead of waiting around for full support with the Surveillance add-on.

Also, I did encounter the (apparently now defunct) Kmotion add-on in these forums as well. No new build since late 2011 and the download location given on it's add-on thread doesn't still contain the software. So I guess you're SOL if you might want to try it and didn't already purchase a license.

Oh! I almost forgot the best part. Foscam's model numbering is extremely confusing. But they carry both MJPEG cameras (like the FI8910W and FI8918W) and H.264 (including the mendtioned FI9821W, but *also* the FI8608W. I mention the 8608 because it's the closest analog to the 8910 in the H.264 lineup. It does have some functional differences, though, which may be important to consider if you're looking for a supported path for using Foscam with ReadyNAS sooner than pigs fly. See the Foscam (US) FAQ.

The main differences between the FI8910W and the FI8608W have to do with the video compression. The FI8608W comes with newer H.264 video compression for smoother video and smaller file sizes, which means you will be able to store many more pictures and video with this camera compared to many of the other models that run on older MJPEG compression. One more unique feature is that the FI8608W comes with an integrated SD card slot for local internal storage on the camera itself. An SD card can be browsed remotely as well through the web interface.

The FI8608W does have few limitations however, such as the inability to stream live video on a webpage using an HTTP URL, which the MJPEG cameras are able to do. This is due to the FI8608W and other H.264 compression cameras adopting a new software framework, which does not utilize this feature. This is subject to being added in the future as a firmware update.
Message 15 of 38
tarkeen
Aspirant

support say product manger told that foscam insignifigant camera vendor, not will support
Message 16 of 38
btaroli
Prodigy

Then the product manager is not the sharpest tool in their shed. You can tell them I said that. 🙂

Seriously folks. This isn't rocket science. And this is a seriously old issue. The latest cameras support both MJPEG and H.264. So what exactly is the issue?
Message 17 of 38
tarkeen
Aspirant

No now how too call product manager
Message 18 of 38
btaroli
Prodigy

btaroli wrote:
Been doing some more research, and there *is* a path to supporting the very newest Foscam model, the FI9821W (though the critical factor is H.264 support, so the FI9820W is supported too), using the newly released DVBLink IPTV module. Seems that IPTV, for them, includes H.264 streams from cameras. 😄 So I'm leaning now toward doing that for my needs instead of waiting around for full support with the Surveillance add-on.

For anyone who had tried H.264 from a Foscam camera with DVBLink IPTV, you probably experienced problems. I sure did with the FI9821W. Turns out that the issue was that the Foscam required digest (not basic, clear-text) authentication and DVBLogic hadn't yet implemented that for the IPTV module. It's not GA yet, but as of build 8706 of the IPTV module, this is WORKING. As of this morning I am successfully able to record from my 9821's! It may take a brief time for DVBLogic to put out a regular update release that incorporates the changes from this debug build, but just wanted to let folks know there had been some movement here. DVBLogic gets huge praise for this, as they actively work with customers to address these sorts of issues!
Message 19 of 38
rob230
Aspirant

Is this product dead now? Would be nice if we could just add simple stream urls like IPADDRESS/videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=psd that we know work :?
Message 20 of 38
btaroli
Prodigy

If you're referring to ReadyNAS Surveillance, I can tell you it shows up for ROS6, so I don't think they'd consider it dead. Does it support Foscam? To my knowledge, no. But DVBLink does! 😄 Quite well in fact.
Message 21 of 38
tiranor
Aspirant

rob230 wrote:
Is this product dead now? Would be nice if we could just add simple stream urls like IPADDRESS/videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=psd that we know work :?

As i have 2 Foscam ip cams, i don't want to spend so much money for something i'm not sure is supported.

ATM, i directly record the videostream on my NAS, via the curl function, and a cron job. The only downside is that it records everything, and not just when there is a movement.

Maybe i'll try later to create another cron job to erase all videos not linked to any snapshot done directly by the camera software.
Message 22 of 38
Solomon22
Aspirant

Hello, Please advise me a couple models of IP camera compatible with x86 readynas, which have 3G simcard slot, or USB port for 3G USB modem. Please help.
Message 23 of 38
ClarkeF
Aspirant

Interesting to me that this thread has the most comments and the response as provided earlier was the Foscam is too small to add support.

I installed the product today - looking for an alternative to my PC based NVR and when I went to add my 1st camera - not supported (despite the claim of over 1500 camera's supported). Also no product update in a while - is Netgear serious about this software?

Foscam has been providing lower cost IP camera that a LOT of people are buying. Netgear needs to add support as well as show support for this product by continuing to update it and add new camera's capabilities.

Please reconsider your support for Foscam devices. Please add simple command line support for mjpeg/h264 capture for other devices that are not in your list.
Message 24 of 38
ca1n
Initiate

I joined the forum just so I could also request support for the Foscam range of camera's.

I am actually really disappointed in Netgear for the lack of support to such a widely used product such as Foscam's Cameras. I purchased a ReadyNAS 102 based on the idea that there was support with the Surveillance app, and so far I am regretting my purchase. I ended up with nothing more than a device to store my hard drives and keep them warm at night.
Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements