× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.28 RAIDiator to VirtualBox (?)

olinman
Aspirant

4.2.28 RAIDiator to VirtualBox (?)

So the last thing I saw on this was for 4.2.23 - I do not seem to be able to get this image into virtualbox despite following the instructions provided.  When it boots it does not appear to be booting a workable OS.  Sure I am missing something dumb, but can someone offer me some help as to the instructions to do this?

Trying to develop an app without mangling my current readynas pro.

-Lane

Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 4.2.28 RAIDiator to VirtualBox (?)

This VM is essentially an OS6 VM, but with the root.tlz on the boot flash replaced with the one from RAIDiator-x86 with all other files on the boot flash left as is.

Note as the VM uses the OS6 kernel you won't be able to test kernel modules for RAIDiator-x86 in the VM.

To upgrade the provided VM one would replace the root.tlz on the flash with the one from 4.2.28 and from tech support mode extract the root.tlz onto the 4GB root volume.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well I realise that's probably not as straightforward for you as it is for me. So I spent some time today making an updated version of the VM for 4.2.28 and updated the thread. See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/RAIDiator-x86-4-2-28-VirtualBox-image-notsupporte...

Message 3 of 5
olinman
Aspirant

thank you mgdm...

I am curious though - I thought I followed the directions - 

1) downloaded 4.2.28

2) created disk image with 16k gap

3) dd'd data to raw

4) converted to vmdk

But when I booted, the linux kernel shows fewer dots to boot, and fails to start my network...  I've repeated it a number of times, and I am unable to connect.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Only the root.tlz is from 4.2.28. The rest of the files on the flash are from the OS6 firmware image. The VM uses ReadyNAS OS 6.0.5 because it was built a long time ago now. The kernel and initrd.gz need to be ones from OS6.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements