× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS-O-Matic add-on

super_poussin
Virtuoso

Re: DNS-O-Matic add-on

can you try uninstall the add-on and install it again ?
Message 76 of 104
secret_rivals
Aspirant

I have tried a reinstall. I am having the same problem I had with the OpenDNS addon > no updates, no logs.
Message 77 of 104
ksaraf
Aspirant

I have installed version 2.1 on my NV+ 4.1.6.
It creates the folders "addons-configs" and "addons-scripts". What is the default password that it sets for these folders? I cannot get into them without the password. If I delete the password, then I can easily access it the DnsOMatic config file to put in my username and password, but I am wondering if I need to put the same password back on for the script to work????

Thank you.
Message 78 of 104
ksaraf
Aspirant

Me too. No updates, no logs on version 2.1 (or 2.0)
Message 79 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

I will publish a new version based on ddclient
Message 80 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

new version please uninstall previous one

For Sparc

For X86

edit /c/addons-config/dnsOmatic/ddclient.conf and change username and password then launch the service

==> replace nologin and nopassword by your value
Message 81 of 104
mickyching
Aspirant

Hi guys,

I've installed 1.50 and it still does not appear to be running.

It updates if I run the script manually but does not seem to run automatically. According to FrontView, the add-on is running but I have checked the logs and they are not being updated.

My understanding is that it should check every 5 minutes. Is this still the case ?

Can anyone suggest how I can confirm that the process is running and suggest anything else I can check.

Thanks in advance.
Message 82 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

use the 2.6 version

there's no log but it runs every 5 min

1) install it
2) disable it
3) modify ddclient.conf
4) launch it
Message 83 of 104
ksaraf
Aspirant

I installed version 2.6

what is the password for the addons-config directory??

Message 84 of 104
ksaraf
Aspirant

Version 2.6

Message 85 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

there's no password for addons-conf directory

can you reboot the nas ?

btw you can also try to download again the addon to be sure you have the correct version
Message 86 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

2.7 for pro

for sparc

I correct some typo in frontview
Message 87 of 104
ksaraf
Aspirant

Ok, removed 2.6, deleted the addons-config dir, reboot, install 2.7, reboot
-it created the addons-config dir, again with a 6 character password.
-When I try to start or stop the DNSoMatic service, it tells me the same thing - serivce cannot be stopped, or service was already stopped/failed to start.
-Only When I remove the password from the addons-config dir can i get into it to edit the config file. 😞
Message 88 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

I did not put a password on addons-config share , this share is accessible by everyone

so really strange

can you download again the 2.7 again and test it ?
Message 89 of 104
ksaraf
Aspirant

Ok, So I did this all over again and it still does not work. Again, this is on a NV+ with Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]

Installed version 2.7
Stopped servive - Failed to stop
REBOOT
New share created: "addons-config" share has a password - cannot access directory (even as Admin)
Remove password to be able to access the directory
Edit ddclient.conf - add username and password
Restart DnsOMatic
- Fails to start
Reboot system
Dnsomatic still fails to start (notice the dot next to DnsOMatic is always greyed out--always stopped, can never start it)

Message 90 of 104
super_poussin
Virtuoso

can you launch it by ssh and give me the error message ?
Message 91 of 104
rmallon1
Aspirant

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me out here.

I've installed DNS-O-Matic (sparc) on my ReadyNAS Duo, rebooted, and have opened the config script found in '\\ipaddress\c\addons-scripts\DnsOMatic'.

Instructions say to "put your username/password in it", but I am not sure exactly what fields to enter my DNS-O-Matic credentials.

The first line of the default script is:
#!/bin/bash
HOSTNAME="all.dnsomatic.com"
USER=xxxxxx
PASS=password

So this seems like the logical place to enter my user name and pass.
ie:
#!/bin/bash
HOSTNAME="all.dnsomatic.com"
USER=my user ID
PASS= my passowrd

I save config, restart the service and patiently refresh the DNS-O-Matic homepage, but it never registers... what is going wrong?

Am I saving my user credentials in thew wrong place?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Robert
Message 92 of 104
NASCHARGE
Aspirant

Can someone please correct me if im wrong,

When DNS-O-Matic is running it checks the current ip every 5min and compares it to the cached ip in /tmp/oldip.DNS-O-Matic.
If it is different it then updates the ip.

I was wanting to update the ip once every day or be able to change how often it updates, and force the update even if the ip is the same. I cant see anywhere to do this....

What I have done is create a cron job to change the cached ip once a day. this seems to work, I was just wondering if there was another way?
Message 93 of 104
sphardy1
Apprentice

DNS-O-Matic add-on

NASCHARGE wrote:
Can someone please correct me if im wrong,

When DNS-O-Matic is running it checks the current ip every 5min and compares it to the cached ip in /tmp/oldip.DNS-O-Matic.
If it is different it then updates the ip.

I was wanting to update the ip once every day or be able to change how often it updates, and force the update even if the ip is the same. I cant see anywhere to do this....

What I have done is create a cron job to change the cached ip once a day. this seems to work, I was just wondering if there was another way?

This makes very little sense...

- updating once per day gives the potential for your web address to be unavailable for up to 1 day
- probing the current ip address adds next to no additional loading to your NAS so why the need to change?
- updating when the address has not changed doesn't achieve anything

So what problem are you actually trying to solve?
Message 94 of 104
NASCHARGE
Aspirant

Sorry maybe I didn't explain correct.

I still want to check to see if the ip has changed every 5min or if ip changes during the 24 hour period.
But assuming the ip hasn't changed in 1 day I still want to force a update so the DNS the site registers that there has been a update even when the ip hasn't changed. This will show up in the history on DNS-O-Matic site.
The reason I want to do this is I have a few accounts and it sometimes cancels account after x days of no updates. Its a bit of a pain to keep registering again and again.
Also I have written a program that gets the history of the updates and will alert me if it has been missed for a period of time.
Message 95 of 104
sphardy1
Apprentice

Well you appear to have a solution, though are you sure a non-changed IP address gets registered as a valid update?

The other option is to consider a different DNS provider. For example: I've used DynDNS extensively and when an IP address has not been updated in a month I get an email asking me if I want to keep the account - a single click on the link ensures the account is kept, which is hardly onerous. I have multiple addresses under the same account and have never had to reregister or had my account cancelled.
Message 96 of 104
Dexter1759
Aspirant

Hi All,

I'd love to get DNS-O-Matic working. But my log keeps saying the following when it checks every 5mins....

Tue Apr 19 20:25:01 GMT 2011 : Return message of DNS-O-Matic : 

It's picked up my correct IP address and the cached IP address is blank.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dex
Message 97 of 104
swmoeller
Aspirant

Dexter1759 wrote:
Hi All,

I'd love to get DNS-O-Matic working. But my log keeps saying the following when it checks every 5mins....

Tue Apr 19 20:25:01 GMT 2011 : Return message of DNS-O-Matic : 

It's picked up my correct IP address and the cached IP address is blank.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dex

I share this problem and would appreciate some hints.
Setup:

ReadyNAS NVX, RAIDiator 4.2.19
    DNS-O-Matic 1.5

I performed the following actions

Install add-on
    Disable add-on
    Terminal (I am on OSX Lion) and SSH to ReadyNAS
    cd /c/addons-scripts/DnsOMatic/
    vi dnsomatic
    inserted my username and password inside ""
    saved
    sh /c/addons-scripts/DnsOMatic/dnsomatic <NO output or error, when executing the script.>
    tail -f /var/log/DNS-O-Matic.log

(I am aware, that experts will have a much more elegant approach, but not me...)

LOG-file (extract)
Mon Oct 3 02:25:01 HKT 2011 : found: <my current IP with the ISP> cached IP:<empty>
Mon Oct 3 02:25:01 HKT 2011 : Return message of DNS-O-Matic :

Online, DNS-O-Matic website says "Waiting for first update"
As my current ISP-IP is different from the one recorded @ DnyDNS, something should actually happen (according to my understanding)

I also tried
chmod ug+x dnsomatic

without any improvements.

Many thanks for your help!

Stefan
Message 98 of 104
swmoeller
Aspirant

Not sure, if it helps, but if I run
https://<username for dnsomatic>:<password for dnsomatic>@updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=<mydomain>.dyndnsXXX&myip=<current ISP-IP>&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG)
manually (copied from the script), it updates the IP as desired on dnydns.

It seems to be, that the script never reaches the point, where it accesses the dnsomatic-site to update the IP. Reason: When I enter wrong credentials (in the script) for the site, it does not complain.

Any help pointing me into the right direction is highly appreciated!

Stefan
Message 99 of 104
swmoeller
Aspirant

I now installed version 2.6 and found it working flawlessly!!
Message 100 of 104
Discussion stats
Announcements