× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enabling SSH access on Readynas Ultra 2

beaumonr
Aspirant

Enabling SSH access on Readynas Ultra 2

Hi,

I've got two old Readynas ultra 2's which I am replacing with 2 new Synology DS224's mainly due to age and the declining support. In order to migrate the data I want to run some Rsynch routines via SSH but I can't seem to find out how to enable SSH access on the Net admin page. Various sites say go into the services page but enabling SSH is not available in any of the tabs.  I

I'm obviously missing something.

please help

btw I wanted to "PULL"  the data from the Readynas but it seems the Synology DSM224s don't allow you to do that. I've tried pushing an Rsynch job to the synology but just can't get it to connect despite Rsynch working between the two Netgears for years.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Enabling SSH access on Readynas Ultra 2

Note I instructed you to log in as root with the NAS admin password.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

I've got two old Readynas ultra 2's

Are you running 4.2.x firmware?  Or did you convert the systems to OS 6?

If you are running 4.2.x, then you need to install this add-on:

Then log into the NAS as root, using the NAS admin password.  If you are using the default password - netgear1 - you will need to change it.

@beaumonr wrote:

I've tried pushing an Rsync job to the synology but just can't get it to connect despite Rsync working between the two Netgears for years.

This sounds like it could be a missing setting on the synology.  Though it could possibly be a wrong destination path in the ReadyNAS backup job.

Message 2 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Do make sure you've set rsync access to read/write and that the Synology is included in the allowed hosts, if you've used that option.

Message 3 of 14
beaumonr
Aspirant

ok, downloaded the add as instructed, installed it restarted the readynas, checked the logs which tell me that SSH root access has been enabled with the same password as my admin account. 

From the same pc which I've logged into the management page I then try an SSH connection. It initially warns me about the lack of keys and gives option to continue, it then permanently adds the IP address to the list of known hosts.

I try and login it requests the password I enter it then it appears to open the connection I can see the name of the server  and the ip address of the pc I,m trying to access it from. but then it closes the connection.

heres the screenshot.

I've not idea why and further help appreciated

thanks

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Note I instructed you to log in as root with the NAS admin password.

Message 5 of 14
beaumonr
Aspirant

Ahaaaa yes I didn't read it properly sorry. Obviously I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

In fact I've just done it by reading a separate post elsehwere and I've come back to let you know.. only to see your reply....

I was feeling all successful.....  but then...back down to earth. hahahahaaa

Thanks so much ... right now to try and get the Rsynch working ...    I might be back  🙂

cheers

Rob

Message 6 of 14
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi,

I've checked the Rsynch config on the Synology, edited the Rsynch account  and then checked the share destination settings so that the Rsynch account has full read write access to it. I can't see any other settings or permissions here.

When I create the back up job on the Readynas, using the Synology share above as the destination and specifying the server by IP address and the Rsynch account and password, I can't get the "test connection" to work says it always fails.

not getting any other useful information. both on the same network, can see each other. I'm at a loss for next step

thanks

Rob

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

When I create the back up job on the Readynas, using the Synology share above as the destination and specifying the server by IP address and the Rsynch account and password, I can't get the "test connection" to work says it always fails.

Have you tried running the job anyway?  It's been a while since I used 4.2.x firmware, but my recollection is that sometimes test connection failed but the backup job still worked.

FWIW, another option is to use SMB.

Message 8 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not familiar with Synology, but I wonder if it's not a case of properly specifying the share name.  For example, on a ReadyNAS, you specify the backup share as just Backup in the GUI, not data/Backup, but from SSH, you have to specify data/Backup.  Maybe the same, maybe different, on a Synology.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm not familiar with Synology, but I wonder if it's not a case of properly specifying the share name. 

I mentioned this possiblity (using the correct destination path) above, and it is certainly something to look at.

Another thing I recall is that often it is better to use the IP address as the remote destination and not the host name.

But I have seen "test connection" fail when it shouldn't have.  It is easy to try, and shouldn't do any harm. 

Message 10 of 14
beaumonr
Aspirant

---------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried running the job anyway?  It's been a while since I used 4.2.x firmware, but my recollection is that sometimes test connection failed but the backup job still worked.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oooooh yes ... wonderful, now why didn't I think of that. brilliant thanks.

So I have two identical Readynas Ultras which I've used for 8 years as main and back up, the project is to migrate everything from them to a pair of DS224s in an identical set up. Main and Backup.

I tried all your brilliant advice on my Readynas backup box and got the above rsync connection  to work with a small test job  to the new Synology main box.. So tried exactly the same on the main Readynas server but its failing with this error.

I've been through all the permissions on the shares, have both instances of frontview to each box on my screen side by side but on the box I want to back up from I can't seem to get round this error.  

if you have any more wisdom it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INCREMENTAL Backup started. Thu Sep 19 18:44:56 CEST 2024

Job: 002
Protocol: rsync
Source: [test]/
Destination: 192.168.1.45::test

@Error: auth failed on module test
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [sender=3.0.9]

Backup failed. Thu Sep 19 18:44:56 CEST 2024.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /test/ ==> 192.168.1.45::test due to unknown reason. Please see log.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 14
beaumonr
Aspirant

hi, yes thanks I'm aware of that, but tried all manner of permutations just in case. I have managed to run a small test job from one machine as per my answer above but sods law I'm getting a failure which I can't seem to overcome on the machine I need to back up.

---------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [sender=3.0.9]

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /test/ ==> 192.168.1.45::test due to unknown reason. Please see log.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oooooh yes ... wonderful, now why didn't I think of that. brilliant thanks.

So I have two identical Readynas Ultras which I've used for 8 years as main and back up, the project is to migrate everything from them to a pair of DS224s in an identical set up. Main and Backup.

I tried all your brilliant advice on my Readynas backup box and got the above rsync connection  to work with a small test job  to the new Synology main box.. So tried exactly the same on the main Readynas server but its failing with this error.

I've been through all the permissions on the shares, have both instances of frontview to each box on my screen side by side but on the box I want to back up from I can't seem to get round this error.  

if you have any more wisdom it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------

Reason for failure:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is rsync enabled on the test share?

Message 13 of 14
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi,

I've given up on the rsync, so switched to SMB and after faffing around with settings on the synology I finally got it to work. The old Readynas has now done a full back up of the most important data to the new server. I still  can't quite believe how fiddly it is. ah well. Thats the trouble with doing these things on an ad hoc basis, it feels like your inventing the wheel every time. Once you know its easy...

I'm happy that although the journey was painful I  resulted in getting SSH access to my old netgears. so I can now have a play around with them. Thanks again Stephen I really don't know how I would have found that out without your help, I recall you have helped me a number of times over the Netgears life for which I am very grateful.

Now the pressures off and we have new live servers I would like to discover what the rsync issue was .... just because I don't want to be beaten. 😉  

cheers

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements