× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installed 2 add ons now can't get into admin Case: 16996037

pheitmeyer
Aspirant

Just installed 2 add ons, PHP for Pro and eXtxplorer to my 4219 ready nas pro, and now i can't seem to access the admin (setup) page any longer. the shares appear to be ok, and i can ping the IP's, but no admin access. i waited 15 minutes, then restarted the readynas. same thing.

Anyone have a suggestion for my next step?

thx,

Paul

add ons:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21743
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21738
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Installed 2 add ons now can't get into admin any longer.

Do you have SSH access (i.e. have you installed the EnableRootSSH add-on)?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

thx!

Um nope I haven't installed that, unless i missed something, the eXtplor just said it needed PHP as it's pre-req. But now that i don't have access to the admin it doesn't look like i'm going to be able to install that.
Message 3 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Since you don't have SSH access (it's a good idea to have this installed in case you have problems with an add-on such as PHP) you'll need to seek help from NetGear tech support (http://www.readynas.com/support). Please edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in this thread) to include your case number.
Message 4 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

Re: Installed 2 add ons now can't get into admin Case: 16996

support said i need to reinstall the O/S on the device. i'll be doing that this friday nite.

after that is complete, is this the SSH addon i should install?

http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin
Message 5 of 20
samuk
Aspirant

I had the same issue with my ultra4 earlier today

Support did not help much, I did however have ssh installed. This helped as I had hidden shares that I could not access from the gui as support got me to reinstall os..which messed the password / access up for the share..

I was told to backup and do a factory reset!
Message 6 of 20
samuk
Aspirant

It would be nice to know why two plugins caused so much of an issue..it will take 2 days to back / restore the data..!
Message 7 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

That stinks! Support told me nothing would be changed or modified. But after hearing that i'm going to backup the info on the drive first. The crazy thing this, the entire reason i'm going thru this is to workaround an issue with Backup Exec trust/access to the ReadyNAS. This time after i get it back to normal i'm going to have to wait for a proper fix not bother installing the add ons - i don't have time to mess with this either!
Message 8 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I doubt an OS Re-install would give you back access to Frontview but I guess you could try it. Removing the add-ons and what the PHP add-ons leaves behind would be the way to go.
Message 9 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

mdgm, i can't uninstall anything because i don't have access to frontview and the add-ons menu. so i can only go with what support told me at this time. if that doesnt' work i'll need to factory default it then restore my saved config then copy my data back on.
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes since you don't have SSH access you can't uninstall add-ons etc. without Frontview access.

If the OS Re-install doesn't fix it, then either doing a factory reset or getting help from NetGear remotely logging in and fixing the problem would be the only options.

The SSH add-on you mentioned above is the one to install on your x86 ReadyNAS before installing things like PHP that can break Frontview.
Message 11 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

thx yes i wish i would have known that earlier. this is turning into a big time waster! how does netgear remotely log into it?
Message 12 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

They should be able to tell you that.
Message 13 of 20
amac27
Aspirant

If you dont gave ssh add-on installed in the NAS then you'll need to put it to techsupport mode and port forward telnet port to theNAS.

Please contact support so they can assist you on this.
Message 14 of 20
samuk
Aspirant

Support were not much help, try said they dont proved support for community addons..

Factory reset was the only way to go..

I do like some of the community plugins..shall I install or not? Don't want to end up in the same situation again..

Any thoughts?
Message 15 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

Justin in support gave me totally incorrect information. He said

"My suggestion for you is to do an OS re-install. This procedure re-installs the OS on the device while leaving your content intact. When doing the OS re-install you are removing the OS off the 4GB per drive partition that is created for the OS and you are replacing the current OS with the saved OS that is stored on the Flash Memory of the device. Your content, settings, and shares will all remain intact and will not be erased. "

Well what happened was that after doing an O/S reinstall, not only was the Admin page not available still, but ALL the settings and shares were deleted.

Good job Justin! 😞
Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

pheitmeyer wrote:
...Well what happened was that after doing an O/S reinstall, not only was the Admin page not available still, but ALL the settings and shares were deleted...
Perhaps you did the factory default procedure, and not the O/S reinstall?
Message 17 of 20
pheitmeyer
Aspirant

No i did not, i'm not that stupid thank you.
Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

pheitmeyer wrote:
No i did not, i'm not that stupid thank you.
Not suggesting you are stupid. On some ReadyNAS models (particularly ones w/o the LCD panel) that would be quite possible to do by mistake.

O/S reinstall shouldn't delete any data; I guess shouldn't is the key word. I hope you have a current backup.
Message 19 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS Re-install leaves the data intact, but does make some setting changes. The shares are kept intact. Now depending on what the add-ons installed did, a firmware re-install may possibly have some unexpected consequences but it would leave the data intact. The OS, settings etc. are stored on a separate partition to your data.
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements