× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc)

Russell_Coight
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission 2.80 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

tarobun wrote:
To run from command line enter:
cd /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION
./transmission-daemon --logfile /var/tmp/transmission.log

To view log file:
cat /var/tmp/transmission.log

Is now working 🙂 Thanks for the help

In the log was:

Couldn't bind port 51413 on 0.0.0.0: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?)

No version of Transmission was running, but the version that comes with the NAS was installed, so I deleted that and it worked.

One problem though, I'm unable to delete any files/folders that transmission has downlaoded, permission error. Permissions are nobody/nogroup.

Is there naything I can do?

thanks
Message 51 of 160
wilwai
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission 2.81 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Thank you very much for the 2.81 it run so well in my NV+ 🙂

However, did the watch directory function still working on 2.81?
Dose the following text still working?

"watch-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent/sources/",
"watch-dir-enabled": 1

Thank you very much.
Message 52 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Just tested watch-dir and it works fine.

Make sure the directory exists and use
"watch-dir-enabled": true
Message 53 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Re: New Transmission 2.80 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Russell Coight wrote:

One problem though, I'm unable to delete any files/folders that transmission has downloaded, permission error. Permissions are nobody/nogroup.

Is there anything I can do?

Hmmm... not sure. That's the default permissions which is recommended by the transmission team to be "world-writable" (umask=0).

Maybe try playing around with the "umask" setting in the settings.json? Might need to do a bit of reading. 🙂
Message 54 of 160
Russell_Coight
Aspirant

umask 0 fixed it 🙂

I had cracked the shits woth Transmission and seriosuly considered upgrading to a newer unit, hoping that would fix the issues, don't have to now 🙂

Donation coming your way 🙂 Thanks for putting the time into old units like these.
Message 55 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Thanks for the donation. 🙂

Much appreciated!
Message 56 of 160
spacecrap
Aspirant

Hi there,
I just upgraded to Transmission 2.81 and found out that I could enter the transmission web interface, but:
- all the downloads are gone from the overview (I probably have to add this manually?);
- New downloads won't start downloaden.

I have an open port, but the downloads just won't start, what can I do to fix this?

edit; strange.. it seems that the RPC port was still on 8181 in stead of 9091.. i changed this in the .json and one of the downloads works now... the other ones don't yet....
Message 57 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Re: New Transmission 2.82 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

Updated to version 2.82 - dedicated to Russell Coight

Changes:
All Platforms

• Fix webseed crash

• Fix crash when adding UDP trackers whose host's canonical name couldn't be found

• Fix crash when sending handshakes to some peers immediately after adding a magnet link

• Fix crash when parsing incoming encrypted handshakes when the user is removing the related torrent

• Add safeguard to prevent zombie processes after running a script when a torrent finishes downloading

• Fix "bad file descriptor" error

• Queued torrents no longer show up as paused after exiting & restarting

• Don't misidentify Tixati as BitTornado?

Web Client

• Fix syntax error in index.html's meta name="viewport"

• Fix file uploading issue in Internet Explorer 11
Message 58 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

spacecrap wrote:
Hi there,
I just upgraded to Transmission 2.81 and found out that I could enter the transmission web interface, but:
- all the downloads are gone from the overview (I probably have to add this manually?);
- New downloads won't start downloaden.

I have an open port, but the downloads just won't start, what can I do to fix this?

edit; strange.. it seems that the RPC port was still on 8181 in stead of 9091.. i changed this in the .json and one of the downloads works now... the other ones don't yet....

Hmmm... upgrading from 2.42(?) is a bit tricky as the settings.json file is retained and don't default to the 2.8x settings.

Maybe try renaming the settings.json file and restarting the addon so a fresh settings.json is created which you can then edit manually.
Message 59 of 160
spacecrap
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.
I can only change the settings.json file in the 'transmission-deamon' folder... but when I change the name and start + close down transmission nothing changes.

The issue is that the folder with the new version differs from my old version.
With the new transmission the folders 'torrents' and 'resume' can be found in the root folder (\\192.168.1.105\addons-config\Transmission)
where my old torrent files can be found in the 'torrents' and 'resume' folders which are placed in the transmission-daemon folder (\\192.168.1.105\addons-config\Transmission\transmission-daemon)

I cannot copy my old files to the new folder and I don't know what I have to change to reconfigure tranmission so my old torrents can be shared again.

Is this clear and could you help me out?
Message 60 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

spacecrap wrote:
I can only change the settings.json file in the 'transmission-deamon' folder... but when I change the name and start + close down transmission nothing changes.

Is there a settings.json in the /addons-config/Transmission/ folder? That's the one you should be changing. The other one is now unused.

spacecrap wrote:
I cannot copy my old files to the new folder and I don't know what I have to change to reconfigure transmission so my old torrents can be shared again.

Why can't you copy the files to the new folder? Do you get an error?

There are 2 way to get your old torrents back:
1) You'll need to move all the *.torrent files in /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/torrents to /addons-config/Transmission/torrents and change your download dir to point to the old folder.
2) Edit the /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/start.sh and change TRANSMISSION_HOME=/c/addons-config/Transmission to TRANSMISSION_HOME=/c/addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon (and also remember to do so each time you upgrade the addon).

Option 1) is the preferable one.
Message 61 of 160
spacecrap
Aspirant

tarobun wrote:
spacecrap wrote:

Is there a settings.json in the /addons-config/Transmission/ folder? That's the one you should be changing. The other one is now unused.

spacecrap wrote:
I cannot copy my old files to the new folder and I don't know what I have to change to reconfigure transmission so my old torrents can be shared again.

Why can't you copy the files to the new folder? Do you get an error?

There are 2 way to get your old torrents back:
1) You'll need to move all the *.torrent files in /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/torrents to /addons-config/Transmission/torrents and change your download dir to point to the old folder.
2) Edit the /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/start.sh and change TRANSMISSION_HOME=/c/addons-config/Transmission to TRANSMISSION_HOME=/c/addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon (and also remember to do so each time you upgrade the addon).

Option 1) is the preferable one.

There is a settings.json file in the transmission folder, but this cannot be edited. I tried that without succes.
When I want to copy files it gives the error that the disk is full or protected against copying.

The strange thing is that Transmission was not working correct, but after editting the file in the transmission-daemon folder it did work... so it almost seems that this folder still is used.

I am at work now so I cannot test your option 2, but I will do this this afternoon. I will keep you posted.
Message 62 of 160
spacecrap
Aspirant

so, I'm at home now and tried to acces the settings.json file. The following sign comes up: "acces to *blabla* was denied"

I will now try the second option you advised.
Message 63 of 160
spacecrap
Aspirant

i've opened the transtart.ch file and this came up:

#!/bin/sh
# *************
# transmission start by super-poussin
# *************
# Variables
#
# Path to transmission-remote
REMOTE="/usr/local/bin/transmission-remote"

# Options to be passed to transmission-remote
TRANSOPT=" localhost:8181 -n admin:password1"
# *************

#LIST=`cat /c/addons-config/Transmission/seeding.txt`
#for ID in $LIST; do
# $REMOTE $TRANSOPT --torrent $ID --start > /dev/null
#done

#LIST=`cat /c/addons-config/Transmission/downloading.txt`
#for ID in $LIST; do
#done

#LIST=`cat /c/addons-config/Transmission/idle.txt`
#for ID in $LIST; do
#done

what do I have to change?
Message 64 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

Nope the file is called "start.sh", not the "transtart.sh" (that's the old one).

Change "start.sh" as follows (difference is in bold).

#!/bin/bash
#
# This should contain necessary code to start the service

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/c/addons-config/Transmission
export TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME=/etc/frontview/addons/ui/TRANSMISSION/web

ARGS="-f"
[ -f /c/addons-config/Transmission/settings.json ] || ARGS="$ARGS -a 127.0.0.1,10.0.0.*,192.168.*.* -w /c/media/BitTorrent"

start-stop-daemon --start --chuid nobody:nogroup --umask 0 --nicelevel 19 \
--background --quiet --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/TRANSMISSION.pid \
--exec /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/transmission-daemon -- $ARGS

To:

#!/bin/bash
#
# This should contain necessary code to start the service

export TRANSMISSION_HOME=/c/addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon
export TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME=/etc/frontview/addons/ui/TRANSMISSION/web

ARGS="-f"
[ -f /c/addons-config/Transmission/settings.json ] || ARGS="$ARGS -a 127.0.0.1,10.0.0.*,192.168.*.* -w /c/media/BitTorrent"

start-stop-daemon --start --chuid nobody:nogroup --umask 0 --nicelevel 19 \
--background --quiet --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/TRANSMISSION.pid \
--exec /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/transmission-daemon -- $ARGS

Also running the following command should make all files under /addons-config read/writable.
chown -R nobody.nogroup /c/addons-config
Message 65 of 160
spacecrap
Aspirant

I cannot find any file that is called start.sh.... 😞
maybe a clean install would do the trick?

And I'm starting to feel like a noob, but how do I enter a command line? I tried to find out on the www and ended up with putty icw. rootssh but it seems that the command line you noted has no effect.... (i know I'm missing something... but what)
Message 66 of 160
AlTaiR1
Aspirant

When I alter the settings from the web interface; They apply but don't seem to alter the /addons-config/Transmission/settings.json file. Where do these get stored?
Message 67 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

spacecrap wrote:
I cannot find any file that is called start.sh.... 😞
maybe a clean install would do the trick?

The file should be in /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION if it's not that the new version has not installed correctly. What version does it say on the ReadyNAS FrontView addon services tab?

spacecrap wrote:

And I'm starting to feel like a noob, but how do I enter a command line? I tried to find out on the www and ended up with putty icw. rootssh but it seems that the command line you noted has no effect.... (i know I'm missing something... but what)

If the command was run successfully you should be able to open/edit any files in /addons-config/Transmission -> No more "access denied".
Message 68 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

AlTaiR wrote:
When I alter the settings from the web interface; They apply but don't seem to alter the /addons-config/Transmission/settings.json file. Where do these get stored?

The settings.json file is only saved when the Transmission service stops (via the ReadyNAS FrontView addon services tab) or when the ReadyNAS shuts down.
Message 69 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

I have been having a problem which, if I think about it, has only occurred since I upgraded to Transmission v2.8.1 and that is that I am unable to move anything out of the BitTorrent folder or rename anything in it or in subfolders. I am asked for my password which is then apparently rejected as the action is not carried out. If I copy the files to my MacBook, I have the same problem there with the only exception that my password is accepted.

The only way to do anything is to go into Frontview and reset the share's permissions but that needs doing every time because the next time I want to rename or move anything, it happens again.

I have been trying to figure this out for some time now but just realised that, as far as I know, it is only the BitTorrent folder that is affected. I don't see any mention of this issue in the release notes of 2.8.2 so I don't know if this is a known issue or just something which I am experiencing but I am wondering if Transmission is setting the file/folder permissions or maybe it is not doing something it should do.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me as it is driving me insane having to continuously reset permissions.
Message 70 of 160
tarobun
Tutor

I think they changed something in Transmission 2.8x...

What is the umask value in your settings.json file? Can you try it with "umask":0 ?
Message 71 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

tarobun wrote:
I think they changed something in Transmission 2.8x...

What is the umask value in your settings.json file? Can you try it with "umask":0 ?

I wasn't sure if that was a reply to my post or not.

Anyway, I have just been trying to open the settings.json file and found that I could not open it or copy it the way I had been able to do in the past and even when I logged in as Admin (as opposed to my user account with Admin status), I could not open it without adjusting permissions - so I feel that something is quite wrong.

The umask value was 10 but I have changed it to 0 as you suggest and I'll wait and see what happens.
Message 72 of 160
MiG_098
Aspirant

My Duo v.1 (sparc) runs Raidiator 4.1.12 and Transmission 2.82 (fresh installation, previously deleted S-P's 2.04 version that stopped work under 4.1.12).
Works just fine but there's one problem: I couldn't stop Transmission via Duo's web-interface in order to edit settings.json file.
Short after I've unchecked it's mark and pressed Save button (green light turns off) Transmission starts itself again, it's check-box is unchecked but green light stays on.
Somehow after some manipulation I've managed to change several parameters in settings.json but now I just can't set up Transmission Remote access 'cause there's no possibility to set rpc-whitelist parameter without stopping the daemon.
Maybe there's a way to manually stop Transmission?

Update: problem solved using different browser
Message 73 of 160
addam
Aspirant

I'm having some issues with a specific tracker and the readynas. I have no problems when trying to download with transmission for mac.
I get no seeders but no errors either. I alson notice that some downloads are slower to start now compared to before.
How can I find out what's wrong?
BR/addam
Message 74 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

addam wrote:
I'm having some issues with a specific tracker and the readynas. I have no problems when trying to download with transmission for mac.
I get no seeders but no errors either. I alson notice that some downloads are slower to start now compared to before.
How can I find out what's wrong?
BR/addam

I have experienced exactly the same problem going back over the last two years. Whenever it happens, I either find the same torrent on a different site or use a Mac BitTorrent client.

I think I may have once reconnected to my ISP thus acquiring a new IP address and I think that also canceled the problem on that occasion but it didn't work consistently so I didn't continue with it. Anyway, I got the sense that my IP address may have been blacklisted by the tracker.
Message 75 of 160
Discussion stats
Announcements