× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission add-on thread

Mephisto1
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread

Hey!

The ReadyNAS dont know how it could reach the tracker.
To Solve this problem, we have to enter the ip address of the server into the Client/ReadyNAS [as you do it on Windows (C://Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts)],
but unfortunately I dont know how, and the overview of the parameters does not help too.

Hope for help!

ReadyNAS U2120
RAIDiator 4.2.15
Transmission v2.13
Message 376 of 921
soehest
Aspirant

Just out of curiosity is there any reason that the Duo version of transmission has not been updated past 2.11? 🙂
Regards
Message 377 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

a lot of code and libraries change so some compilation problem
Message 378 of 921
Kram1
Aspirant

Hi - first time setting this up on my Duo. Having a bit of trouble with scheduling and after a bit of help please...

Have got transmission up and running ok and downloading etc...

Issues start here...
Have disabled transmission; edited the json file to enable alt speed time begin; changed start/stop time in minutes; then reeanble transmission.
When i add a new torrent it just starts straight away 😞

I have tried changing the 'start added torrents' to true/false, but this makes no difference. (just starts or queues on as paused)

I also notice these functions can be changed in the transmission GUI and that they change the parameters in the json file, but not sure what to do.

Apologies for the noobness. no doubt something simple
Regards
Mark
Message 379 of 921
trevorken
Aspirant

I've got the same problem as also mentioned in a couple of other threads.
Everytime my readynas duo is switched of via the scheduler, all running torrents start to verify the data.
For the moment it is even not possible anymore to verify my data during the periods in between the scheduled shutdown (torrent is 189 GB big)
I tried to run the transtop.sh script and found a problem in this. I adapted it and now it seems to work if I run the script itself.
But if it is switched off, the torrents start to verify again.

Anyone got a clue to help me, this is getting quite anoying.
Message 380 of 921
nitesh
Aspirant

Hi. I am a new owner of an Ultra and have been trying to get Transmission 2.13 to work. Here is my problem:
Before installing the add-on, I had a share named "Media" with a folder named "BitTorrent". After installing the add-on and completing one torrent download, I was unable to find the downloaded file(s). After searching the forums for some information I found that rebooting was required to see the folders etc. After rebooting, I was able to see the files in "Media/BitTorrent" but all my other folders from the share had disappeared. I found a similar issue in an older post [http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32865&start=0]
I also noticed a separate share in the share listing named "media", which I could not see in explorer. When I uninstalled the add-on, my folders reappeared and the downloaded data disappeared. I tried renaming the share "Media" to "media" but for some reason I am unable to rename it. Re-installing the add-on once again hides all the other folders, and brings back the downloaded files.
Can someone please help?
Update:
With Transmission installed, all folders in "Media" are missing when browsing with explorer (win 7). On the other hand, if I browse using an ftp client, I can see all folders/files but not the files downloaded by transmission.
Update:
It seems that Transmission is creating a new share called "media" which is making the existing share "Media" invisible somehow. I had tried editing the "settings.json" file to change "c\media\BitTorrent" to "c\Media\BitTorrent", but after making this change, the Transmission service refused to start.
Message 381 of 921
Dimonira
Aspirant

Before installing Transmission 2.13 I uninstalled 2.11. The new version works fine. Then I tried to disable the transmition service (I tried to understand why I could not write anything in the webroot). When I tried to run a service that did not happen because of an error. After rebooting ReadyNas I discovered the loss of some shares. As a result, I had to restore the configuration ReadyNas of the stored copy and reinstall Transmition. After that, everything worked again.
Message 382 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

nitesh wrote:
Hi. I am a new owner of an Ultra and have been trying to get Transmission 2.13 to work. Here is my problem:
Before installing the add-on, I had a share named "Media" with a folder named "BitTorrent". After installing the add-on and completing one torrent download, I was unable to find the downloaded file(s). After searching the forums for some information I found that rebooting was required to see the folders etc. After rebooting, I was able to see the files in "Media/BitTorrent" but all my other folders from the share had disappeared. I found a similar issue in an older post [http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32865&start=0]
I also noticed a separate share in the share listing named "media", which I could not see in explorer. When I uninstalled the add-on, my folders reappeared and the downloaded data disappeared. I tried renaming the share "Media" to "media" but for some reason I am unable to rename it. Re-installing the add-on once again hides all the other folders, and brings back the downloaded files.
Can someone please help?
Update:
With Transmission installed, all folders in "Media" are missing when browsing with explorer (win 7). On the other hand, if I browse using an ftp client, I can see all folders/files but not the files downloaded by transmission.
Update:
It seems that Transmission is creating a new share called "media" which is making the existing share "Media" invisible somehow. I had tried editing the "settings.json" file to change "c\media\BitTorrent" to "c\Media\BitTorrent", but after making this change, the Transmission service refused to start.

Transmission do check if a directory /c/Media exist (because some users change media to Media) , in this case it will use it and create the transmission directories.
By Default transmission use /c/media. the default media path created by frontview is /c/media.

I just jeck the code and the code is correct. Will take a look deeper to understand what's happened
Message 383 of 921
eton
Luminary

Transmission is awsome

Which password shall be set in?
transtart.sh
transtop.sh

The FrontView admin password or any password?
Or shall both be changed to the same as the user and password in settings.json?

My setup
Transmission 2.11 (upgrading from 2.01 I think)
RAIDiator 4.1.7
Message 384 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

eton wrote:
Transmission is awsome

Which password shall be set in?
transtart.sh
transtop.sh

The FrontView admin password or any password?
Or shall both be changed to the same as the user and password in settings.json?

My setup
Transmission 2.11 (upgrading from 2.01 I think)
RAIDiator 4.1.7

must be the same as the one you put in settings.json
Message 385 of 921
eton
Luminary

Great!
That was a bit unclear in the install guide. Thanks

One other thing, after the Transmission update I updated PHP Support to 1.3 and that crashed Transmission (and at that stage there was no Create torrent button in Frontview). But I reinstalled Transmission and now everything works.
Message 386 of 921
gohtraw
Aspirant

Stupid question maybe but what do those addon .bin files do exactly?
Do they contain a compiled version of transmission and all the dependencies?

I'm just curious because I just got r11629 to compile and it was quite a hassle (tons of reading until I had all the dependencies right).
In the end this worked:
./autogen.sh --build=sparc-linux --disable-nls --disable-gtk
Message 387 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

gohtraw wrote:
Stupid question maybe but what do those addon .bin files do exactly?
Do they contain a compiled version of transmission and all the dependencies?

I'm just curious because I just got r11629 to compile and it was quite a hassle (tons of reading until I had all the dependencies right).
In the end this worked:
./autogen.sh --build=sparc-linux --disable-nls --disable-gtk

yes it does contain everything
Message 388 of 921
gohtraw
Aspirant

so will it overwrite newer versions and thus possibly break other add-ons or will it just look what's installed and try to work with that first?
Message 389 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

gohtraw wrote:
so will it overwrite newer versions and thus possibly break other add-ons or will it just look what's installed and try to work with that first?

what do you mean ?

The addon will install the transmission files and all the required libraries.
The addon do not delete libraries so software using older version should work
Message 390 of 921
nitesh
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
nitesh wrote:
Can someone please help?
Update:
Update:

Transmission do check if a directory /c/Media exist (because some users change media to Media) , in this case it will use it and create the transmission directories.
By Default transmission use /c/media. the default media path created by frontview is /c/media.

I just jeck the code and the code is correct. Will take a look deeper to understand what's happened

Here's how I finally fixed the problem:
1) Uninstall Transmission
2) Move all files/folders from "Media" to another location
3) Delete "Media", create new share "media"
4) Install Transmission (reboot nas to make sure)
5) Move files back to "media".
Message 391 of 921
stanmawr
Aspirant

Hi, I have recently installed Transmission 2.11 on my ReadyNas Duo running Radiator 4.17.

I am able to upload and download OK. However, looking in Inspector on the web interface, I get "No Selection" displayed at the top of every section. No data is displayed in the "Information" or "activity" sections, whilst the "peers", "tracker" and "files" sections seem otherwise OK. Is anyone able to tell me what is going on / how to sort this out?
Message 392 of 921
seanmt
Aspirant

Just installed Transmission 2.11 but I haven't been able to add a torrent successfully.

I added a torrent to the sources folder and when I loaded up the interface the torrent had been added. A few MiB downloads but then it says:

Error: Permission denied (/media/BitTorrent/FILENAME) (see screenshot below)

Each torrent I add just gives the same message. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Message 393 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

To potentially follow on from what seanmt was saying, I am seeing a similar problem. I have used Transmission for quite a while on different versions, and thought I'd fixed this, but now it's back.

Firstly, let me explain my setup. I have installed Transmission 2.11, which I wish to run as the "data" user, as that is the owner of my BitTorrent share (I am using the "Share" security mode). So I have a folder "/data/BitTorrent" which is owned by the "data" user and "nogroup" group which holds all my Tranmission downloads.

To ensure that files created and updated by Transmission are all created with the correct owner and permissions, I have modified the following file in the distribution:

/etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/start.sh
Port=`cat /c/addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/settings.json | grep "rpc-port" | awk -F " " '{ print $2 }' |  awk -F "," '{ print $1 }'`
sed -i "s/TRANSMISSION_PORT=*.*/TRANSMISSION_PORT=$Port/" /etc/default/services

start-stop-daemon --chuid data:nogroup --start --umask 0 --pidfile /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid --make-pidfile \
--exec /usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon --background --nicelevel 8 -- -g /c/addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon

pidof transmission-daemon | awk '{print $1}' >/var/run/transmission-daemon.pid

sleep 40
/c/addons-config/Transmission/transtart.sh

Then, before starting Transmission, I run the following commands to ensure the existing config and setup data is owned by data / nogroup

chown -R data /addons-config/Transmission/*
chgrp -R nogroup /addons-config/Transmission/*

This seems to run fine, but then after a few days (without a NAS reboot or even stopping and starting Transmission) I get the errors seen above. I then use PuTTY to log into the ReadyNAS box, and surely enough, everytime it seems that the /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon directory, and the files within it, are once again owned by nobody / nogroup as they used to be. All the other files in /addons-config/Transmission are owned by data / nogroup still, it's just this directory.

The error, therefore, comes from the /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/resume file not being writable as the data user. I suspect there is some maintenance thread / process which is somehow modifying / recreating these files as the default user (nobody), but I cannot figure out what is doing it ?

Fixing it is simply a task of stopping the server (via frontview), running the two lines above, and restarting the server (again, using frontview). Not a tough workaround, but sometimes the server can be down for a long period, and I'm unaware it's stopped working until I log into the web application and see the Permission denied errors like seanmt has posted above.

Anyone know what might be causing this change of directory ownership ?

EDIT - just happened again. Only thing that had happened was a backup job ran (not against any Transmission files). Grrrr... I also notice that another user has posted the same approach as a working solution for running Transmission as another user : viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49127&sid=ab100c48b78c8082135f1a46d84d0109#p283015 - but like I say, for me something keeps modifying the transmission-daemon directory ownership recursively whilst Transmission is running.

Thanks,
Ben
Message 394 of 921
henrikengdahl
Aspirant

Slow download speed on NAS with transmission

Hey guys!

I recently get a ReadyNAS Duo and just installed transmission-daemon 2.11. Everything works fine except that I'm getting slow download speed (max 2 mb/s). Same thing with all torrents even if many people are seeding.

I have a PC running Ubuntu Server, also running transmission-daemon with maximum download speed 12 mb/s.

Why are my downloads so slow on my NAS? Do I need to change something in settings.json?

Thanks
Henrik
Message 395 of 921
luisfra
Aspirant

I hade been reading every page and i can't see to find my answer,

How can you remotely control this client over the Internet, on my linux box i just put my dns address with the port of the web client and it ask me for the login and pass of the transmission of my pc, i can't seam to do the same with the tansmission web client of my Duo! any help or link to the answer will be very appreciated! thanks in advance!

Edit: Never mind i forgot to forward the ports on my dsl modem :shock: !! Thanks anyways!!
Message 396 of 921
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bizarrely I'm now getting the permissions problems listed above (permission denied etc.) - I've never had this issue before. I had to ssh onto the NAS and change them to get the torrent to open.
The files are being created by 'nobody' in 'nogroup' now which I don't recall before, although had no specific reason to check. Is there a way to change the default create UID and GID of the torrent files?
Message 397 of 921
efalsken
Aspirant

Does anyone find a way to rename/move or seed a torrent from the readynas from any (specified) path? I often will download torrents directly into my media/videos folder and want to keep seeding from there so I can watch them while seeding.
Message 398 of 921
tlaurent
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread - Permission issue

I've been confronted to the same permission issue as described by seanmt and phantomwhale.
I've configured Transmission to download in a different share than the default one (/c/p2p/BitTorrent/ rather than /c/Media/BitTorrent), but I kept the default user to nobody:nogroup (so far...).

I couldn't understand how I could have permissions issues as I didn't change the default user and all my directories where following these permissions. Then, I had a look into /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/settings.json and I noticed that 2 path were hardcoded to the default download directory:
"incomplete-dir": "/c/Media/BitTorrent/Incomplete"
"watch-dir": "/c/Media/BitTorrent/sources/"

I think the "incomplete-dir" one is the root of the problem as (I guess...) Transmission probably download all the different chunks here until the torrent has completed. So, if the directory is missing or doesn't have the right permissions, Transmission throws a "Permission denied".
So, I've created the "Incomplete" and "sources" directories in my new share (and set the right permissions to nobody:nogroup) and changed the settings.json to point "incomplete-dir" and "watch-dir" to the new locations, and so far, so good, I can download without seeing the "permission denied" error again.

One last word, make sure you stop Transmission before making the changes in settings.json, and just to be sure, remove all your current torrents from the list and re-add them once you've made all the changes and restarted Transmission.

Hope this might help a few of you.
Message 399 of 921
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you change the user that files are downloaded as? Or do I need to create a new share for downloads instead of the default? I don't want to ope up the permissions on the media directory and even having the BitTorrent folder as 777 isn't enough.
Message 400 of 921
Top Contributors
Announcements