× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission add-on thread

santa1
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread

Hi,

I got a problem with Transmission stops running after a few minutes. Any ideas?

I am running Transmission v2.33 (sparc) on RAIDiator 4.1.7

I have also tried to run Transmission 2.32 beta 2, but same problem there.
Message 451 of 921
silvercue
Aspirant

santa wrote:
Hi,

I got a problem with Transmission stops running after a few minutes. Any ideas?

I am running Transmission v2.33 (sparc) on RAIDiator 4.1.7

I have also tried to run Transmission 2.32 beta 2, but same problem there.

Exactly the same problem I have (post a few back)...though now I can;t even connect to the interface.

This is just not working for me 😞
Message 452 of 921
santa1
Aspirant

Du you know if the publisher of Transmission has commented on the mather?
Message 453 of 921
santa1
Aspirant

Looks like Transmission is using all the memory, and therefor shuts down. Any ide how to fix this without adding more ram? I am curently running with 256 mb ram.
Message 454 of 921
n0guest
Aspirant

it's huge memory leak. I've Tested on 2.31, 2.33 with my Duo with 256Mb RAM, RAIDar 4.1.7.
confirmation that this is a memory leak - information in the output of utilities top and logs in /var/log/syslog

Aug 21 22:25:32 duo kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 10319 (transmission-da).
Aug 21 22:25:32 duo kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 10320 (transmission-da).
Aug 21 22:25:32 duo kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 10321 (transmission-da).
Aug 21 22:25:32 duo kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 10322 (transmission-da).

if transmission-daemon only started (or verifying files) - all is ok, memory consumption 5-8Mb.
when add torrent, but not start it (not downloading) - same situation with memory usage.
start torrent downloading and memory leaking on 3-5Mb with 10 seconds.
i'm tried to disable utp, dht and change some other settings - no result.
think memory leak is related with the downloading torrents data, but how fix it?

super-poussin, can you help to locate and fix this leak?

I am willing to offer a reward for your help in solving this problem (eg, paypal donate).
moreover, that according to previous reports, this problem affects many users.

ps: if you do not want or for whatever reason can not help to solve this problem,
please, I would like to hear your opinion on the possible solutions to this problem.
Message 455 of 921
JarnoG
Guide

I had the permission denied error too at first. It turned out that the folders Transmission was using to put the incomplete/completed files did not have write permissions for the Transmission user (nogroup / nobody). After getting the permissions and folders right, everything works ok with me, though it usually hogs up a lot of memory when it's downloading. I think the standard setting is that it is using a buffer of 2GB i think, which is a bit more than the memory in a Duo...
Message 456 of 921
crabby1
Aspirant

I'm getting the memory leaks too... Transmission crashes in about 30 minutes. Anyone with upgraded memory get this?

I heard going back to 2.22 helps... Anyone confirm this?

crabby
Message 457 of 921
n0guest
Aspirant

In my case (installed original 256Mb memory, not upgraded or replaced) helped only downgrading to version 2.11.
My ReadyNAS Duo running second day without Out-Of-Memory killing.
Transmission up and running normally - used in total 20-30Mb, seems memory leak stopped.

I'm still waiting for a response from the super-poussin, perhaps he will tell what the problem with newer versions of Transmission (> 2.11).
May be his Transmission builds require some newer versions of libevent/libcurl not available on RAIDar 4.1.7 and early versions.

In my past experience is a version mismatch of libraries can lead to crashes, memory leaks and other failures.
But we need confirmation from the super-poussin - what library versions he was used to compile Transmission.
Message 458 of 921
Blues11
Luminary

I would still like to install Transmission. As I posted one or two pages ago, I upload and confirm that I want to install. Then as soon as it starts I get the message: Installation of this add-on conflicts with an existing service. Aborting installation. When I go to the "Add-ons" page there's nothing listed..

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Message 459 of 921
silvercue
Aspirant

reading your posts I think I would like to uninstall latest Transmission as it simply doesn't work for me and try the older version 2.11.

I have RAIDar 4.1.7 as I use 3TB drives.

How do I do this?

I am using a Readynas Ultra 2.
Thanks
Message 460 of 921
silvercue
Aspirant

I have uninstalled and then installed 2.11 and it works fine.
Message 461 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

Two things.

Firstly, with my permissioning problem causing Trasnmission to stop every 4-6 hours now, I decided to clean off my install and start afresh. I've since tried to eradicate every last trace of Transmission from my system, stepping through the remove scripts, and to put a new version in place. But everytime I get told "The Transmission Add-on encountered an error during installation".

So does anyone know where this error is logged ? It looks like files have been installed, but I am unable to get the service started up (it just seems to hang in frontview when I try to stop / start / remove it, which leaves me manually going in to kill / delete / remove it).

Also, does anyone else have similar problems installing 2.31, 2.32.b02 or 2.33.b02 ? I have tried all of them, with no success. Equally, is the memory problem still a blocker for 2.3x - e.g. should I be looking at an older version still ? Although 2.11 was the version I got endless permissions denied problems with, so I'd rather not go back to that version either.

I tried installing via SSH, which was detailed here : viewtopic.php?p=312850#p312850 but this seemed to end up with similar problems. When I try and start Transmission whilst I'm SSH'd into the box, I see the following (note that I have changes the default user to "data", although if left as "nobody" the same errors still appear)

nas:/etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION# sudo -u admin ./start.sh
sed: couldn't open temporary file /etc/default//sedWBrn4t: Permission denied
start-stop-daemon: Unable to set gid to 65534 (Operation not permitted)
chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/transmission-daemon.pid': Operation not permitted
[22:05:34.752] transmission-remote: (http://localhost:8181/transmission/rpc/) Couldn't connect to server

Thanks for any advice / input that helps me debug my way out of this - I'm going in at the shell level to get this working once and for all, so pointers towards SSH access only files are just as welcome as frontview interface tips.

Ben (-PW-)
Message 462 of 921
dsm1212
Apprentice

I've been using the transmission remote UI with the addon. Work's very well for me. I was not getting good download throughput though and noticed that in the preferences of the remote UI there is a tab for scheduling bandwidth limits. Something is broken though because those bandwidth limits are applying even when the scheduling is not enabled. I find if I change the scheduled limits and hit apply the changes take affect. This was pretty obscure given that it looks like the setting was off so It thought I'd share it and see if anyone else noticed this. Not sure if it is an issue with the remote UI or what. Very reproducible.

steve
Message 463 of 921
Blues11
Luminary

I seem to be the only person who is having a problem with installation. Perhaps if I provide some more information someone might be able to shed some light on how I can get it installed. Before upgrading to 4.2.17 I had a previous release of Transmission installed.

Eight or nine months ago I removed the working version of Transmission. At some point I tried to reinstall it and received an error message (that I cannot recall). Then I updated to 4.2.17 and since then I have been unsuccessful at installing Transmission. Immediately after clicking on "install" I get a message telling me that it conflicts with another add-on even though there are no add-ons installed (according to the add-ons screen).

Could there be some directory or file, that the install routine is trying to create and assumes is not there, that may be causing the problem? Maybe I can manually remove that before attempting to install it again.

Thank you.
Message 464 of 921
Shadow1980
Aspirant

I've tried v2.11, 2.22 and 2.33 and keep running into the Transmission Failed to Start Problem.

I've tried EVERYTHING suggested by Super-Poussin in the various threads and am having absolutely no luck whatsoever.

As I need remote access available, using the standard password is a no-no. (Though I have tried not changing a thing and disabling/enabling the addons with ALL above versions still does exactly the same thing)

Using an Ultra 6 with RAIDiator 4.2.17
Message 465 of 921
lappen71
Aspirant

This is very strange because i haven´t had any problem with memory leak.
I have used all of the different versions from 2.11 to 2.31 without problem.
But suddenly Transmission stops and i have to restart and it works for an hour or so.

This i very frustrating and i hope someone can fix this and of course i will donate if it works.
Message 466 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

Yeah, I got version 2.31 up and running (finally) on mine - the admin console doesn't seem very reliable, but logging into via ssh and manually running the start and stop commands seem to work better. But nonetheless, rather than getting permission errors every night (like I did with 2.11) I now find the process has stopped every night. Same effect, and just as frustrating. Never found out where the logs might be either, to try and work out what's causing the problems.
Message 467 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

I'm working o, new version, will publish as soon as I have access again to add-ons repository
Message 468 of 921
lappen71
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
I'm working o, new version, will publish as soon as I have access again to add-ons repository

Thank you thank you 😄
Message 469 of 921
Blues11
Luminary

super-poussin, thank you. Perhaps that may solve my installation problem.

Best wishes,
blues
Message 470 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

Thanks for the timely reply, S-P, and the all the effort. Was trying to take a more pro-active role in fixing my own problem with this add-on, but I'm going to guess from what your saying that I'm now seeing a "known issue", so probably best to wait and see !
Message 471 of 921
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Blues wrote:
I seem to be the only person who is having a problem with installation... Immediately after clicking on "install" I get a message telling me that it conflicts with another add-on even though there are no add-ons installed (according to the add-ons screen). Could there be some directory or file, that the install routine is trying to create and assumes is not there, that may be causing the problem? Maybe I can manually remove that before attempting to install it again.

I have the same problem. I thought Transmission had been un-installed. In /etc/frontview/addons there is no "TRANSMISSION.remove". Nothing either in /tmp/addons.
I found a bunch of files in \\NVX\addons-config\Recycle Bin\Transmission, but removing them didn't make any difference.
I can't think where else to look
Message 472 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

edit /etc/default/services and remove all TRANSMISSION reference

please backup the file first
Message 473 of 921
Blues11
Luminary

super-poussin,

That did the trick. There were three references to TRANSMISSION in that file. I deleted them and the installation went perfectly.

Thank you so much for your work and assistance,
Blues
Message 474 of 921
Retired_Member
Not applicable

worked for me too
Message 475 of 921
Announcements