× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission add-on thread

abzinth
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread

I resolved the "permission denied" issue by simply disable the incomplete folder. In settings.json I changed to:
"incomplete-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent",
and
"incomplete-dir-enabled": false,

works fine
Message 401 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

May have to give that a go - am still rebooting Transmission every 2-3 days to get rid of permission errors. Bit of a pain having incomplete torrents mingled with the complete ones, but less of a pain than the constant file ownership change !
Message 402 of 921
JarnoG
Guide

efalsken wrote:
Does anyone find a way to rename/move or seed a torrent from the readynas from any (specified) path? I often will download torrents directly into my media/videos folder and want to keep seeding from there so I can watch them while seeding.

There's this tool called Transmission Remote GUI which allows you to change the location of the data of your torrents. You can find it here.

Make sure you get all the permissions right in the folders you want to move the files to. Anything you do in the GUI is being done with the same rights as Transmission has on your NAS.
Message 403 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

JarnoG wrote:
efalsken wrote:
Does anyone find a way to rename/move or seed a torrent from the readynas from any (specified) path? I often will download torrents directly into my media/videos folder and want to keep seeding from there so I can watch them while seeding.

There's this tool called Transmission Remote GUI which allows you to change the location of the data of your torrents. You can find it here.

Make sure you get all the permissions right in the folders you want to move the files to. Anything you do in the GUI is being done with the same rights as Transmission has on your NAS.

:shock: this tool is awesome - why did I put up with the web GUI for so long !
Message 404 of 921
valmiki
Aspirant

After having spent some time away from Transmission (basically went back to utorrent on the pc, but such a waste of electricity!) I installed the latest release - and wow...been playing with it all evening and works amazing! Thanks to super poussin for all his hard work. Dude, I'm paypal-ing a small token of my gratitude.

Then, just when I thought it couldn't get much better, I came across this thread which introduced the tool Transmission Remote GUI...and I'm amazed. Again. Just after I had wasted a couple of hours trying to edit settings.json, I find this little beauty does it all so much easier and so user friendly! It definitely needs more exposure, perhaps on the other Transmission threads on this board?
Message 405 of 921
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I use Transmission Remote dotnet (http://code.google.com/p/transmission-r ... loads/list) . What's the difference between it and remote-gui?
Message 406 of 921
JarnoG
Guide

I just checked this tool out and it seems to have more options than remote-gui, but most is the same.

Advantage of the remote-gui is that it doesn't require .NET allowing it to run on a non-Windows as well.
Since I'm working on Windows-only I just switched to the Remote dotnet, so thanks for the tip! 😄
Message 407 of 921
Jemini
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread - Permission issue

tlaurent wrote:
I've been confronted to the same permission issue as described by seanmt and phantomwhale.
I've configured Transmission to download in a different share than the default one (/c/p2p/BitTorrent/ rather than /c/Media/BitTorrent), but I kept the default user to nobody:nogroup (so far...).

I couldn't understand how I could have permissions issues as I didn't change the default user and all my directories where following these permissions. Then, I had a look into /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/settings.json and I noticed that 2 path were hardcoded to the default download directory:
"incomplete-dir": "/c/Media/BitTorrent/Incomplete"
"watch-dir": "/c/Media/BitTorrent/sources/"

I think the "incomplete-dir" one is the root of the problem as (I guess...) Transmission probably download all the different chunks here until the torrent has completed. So, if the directory is missing or doesn't have the right permissions, Transmission throws a "Permission denied".
So, I've created the "Incomplete" and "sources" directories in my new share (and set the right permissions to nobody:nogroup) and changed the settings.json to point "incomplete-dir" and "watch-dir" to the new locations, and so far, so good, I can download without seeing the "permission denied" error again.

One last word, make sure you stop Transmission before making the changes in settings.json, and just to be sure, remove all your current torrents from the list and re-add them once you've made all the changes and restarted Transmission.

Hope this might help a few of you.

How to configure transmission and the directory access privilege to use a directory of an existed share to store? (eg: /myshares/mydownload/p2p/)
Message 408 of 921
randomnut1
Apprentice

Am I right in thinking there is no light build anymore (for the duo)? Do we just use the full larger version?
Message 409 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

randomnut wrote:
Am I right in thinking there is no light build anymore (for the duo)? Do we just use the full larger version?

you're right , simply because transmission inclide all the things I develop previously in the light version
Message 410 of 921
randomnut1
Apprentice

Great. I must say I'm finding transmission very good, although the download speed in the latest beta isn't as fast as in the latest stable.

Would it be possible to get more options in the gui? E.g max peers per torrent, max active torrents, etc? I should hopefully be sending you a donation soon!
Message 411 of 921
alex_77
Aspirant

Guys, need your advice!
Just purchased Ultra 2 plus exclusively for torrents download!
Set it up with 1 2 TB HDD (for now), installed Transmission (2.22.09), installed Remote GUI for MAC
Start downloading
At first (1-2 minutes) everything's OK, but then downloading stops and i see an error in Transmission WEB:
Error: No Data found! Ensure your drives are connected or use "Set Location". To re-download, remove the torrent and re-add it
Downloaded 65 MiB of 40 GiB (0.14%)

What shall i do with it? What data? What Set location?
Message 412 of 921
Jemini
Aspirant

alex_77 wrote:
Guys, need your advice!
Set it up with 1 2 TB HDD (for now), installed Transmission (2.22.09), installed Remote GUI for MAC
Start downloading
At first (1-2 minutes) everything's OK, but then downloading stops and i see an error in Transmission WEB:
Error: No Data found! Ensure your drives are connected or use "Set Location". To re-download, remove the torrent and re-add it

Did you change the default download folder ( it should be /c/mecia/BitTorrent, etc,) or has recreated the share /media you had removed before install transmission?
Message 413 of 921
epq1centre
Aspirant

Hi there,

I'm a huge fan of transmission on ubuntu, great set of features yet very light and non-complicated, i wish i could say the same for the ready nas version, sorry super-poussin i appreciate you and maybe more people work very hard to make this work and its getting there but its not quite there yet for me, firstly it installed and straight away gave some errors thought the add on appeared and seemed to be working fine, however i didnt like its pre set locations to store downloaded files, i also would like it to auto load torrents from a certain folder which i found my self having to edit files to get it to so in no time.

No problem if i had to do it once and that was it but for some daft reason whatever i changed the settings to when i re enabled the add on and went to check on the file everything was changed again as if i hadn't touched it, as many others have also complained i thought the speed was pretty slow as well, for these mainly and a couple of other not to important reasons i decided transmission wasn't for me at this present time and decided to uninstall, ok all good no problems untill i browsed my shares and found out it left behind its 2 annoying shares: webroot and addons-config the questins is how do i get rid of those as they really annoy me?

Sorry to be negative, i appreciate all the hard work put in by everybody and i un derstand some people like to have access to things but i've played about with computers too much to be interested in what goes on backstage just want something that is ... Well, seamless!
Message 414 of 921
Dakurt71
Aspirant

Guys,

if i save a torrent in media/bittorrent nothing happens when i reopen transmission it says

error :permission denied c:\media\bittorrent\torrent

please help

if i try resume it says nerror 😮 data found make sure your drives r connected
Message 415 of 921
kartun
Aspirant

I've found a prob with 2.31. After reboot there are several copies of transmission-daemon, so trackers refuse connections and at least waste RAM. Here is snapshot of my system just after reboot.

fullview : http://img163.imageshack.us/i/transmissionb.png/
Message 416 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

transmission is always running more than one thread

does your tracker allow transmission client 2.31+ ?

I will also publish a new version today
Message 417 of 921
kartun
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
transmission is always running more than one thread

does your tracker allow transmission client 2.31+ ?
I will also publish a new version today

wait, I see multiple instances with several threads, or I'm wrong ? My tracker list transmission as "non-recomended".

Last time i experience 0 seeds and no downloads at all. As I killed all instances of transmission-daemon and started it manually from ssh this problem is gone and I have good amounts of seeds and speed close to channel bandwidth.
Message 418 of 921
kartun
Aspirant

2 super-poussin : would it be hard to change transmission-daemon logs behaivor. I mean could you add a switch to store separate logs for transmission-daemon somwhere apart from /var/log/daemon.log as it would be a bit easier to read and less spam to syslog itself.

And question for all transmission users on DUO : what's your average CPU load for transmission-daemon. As I see on my box it use like 70-80% of CPU with default params.
Message 419 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

abzinth wrote:
I resolved the "permission denied" issue by simply disable the incomplete folder. In settings.json I changed to:
"incomplete-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent",
and
"incomplete-dir-enabled": false,

works fine

Darn,

Been running with those settings for 1-2 months now, and it didn't fix the issue; e.g. I still need to go in an reset the file permissions every 2-3 days (as described about 15 posts ago, for those new to the chat).

Think I'm treading water on this one, either waiting for a new release to hopefully fix it, or a better / equivalent alternative to come along; which seems unlikely as apart from the constant need for restarts, it's quite an awesome BitTorrent server !

Maybe I'll just cron up a daily reset of permissions and restart and be done with it.

PW
Message 420 of 921
cclambie
Aspirant

Hi fellow NAS lovers,

I have a netgear readynas nv+, which I love dearly btw - couldn't fault it in the slightest 🙂
I run transmission on it, and I recently downloaded a 8GB set.

For some reason it has disappeared. I think I was cleaning up some old .torrents out of the queue of transmission, and I accidentally deleted it too.
Any ideas on what steps I should take to get it back, took 5 weeks to download 😞

I have putty and SSH access to the drive.

Running fairly old v 1.93 (10621)
Raidator v 4.1.7 [1.00a043]

Thanks
C
Message 421 of 921
Devil1
Aspirant

Jemini wrote:
alex_77 wrote:
Guys, need your advice!
Start downloading

Did you change the default download folder ( it should be /c/mecia/BitTorrent, etc,) or has recreated the share /media you had removed before install transmission?

First excuse my bad English^ second... I have the same problem.... perhaps somebody give me advice??
and the last in web interface transmission doesn't works(in nas menu) but it tries to download in gui....any advices??
Message 422 of 921
JarnoG
Guide

@cclambie: you can try looking in your default download folder to see if you deleted all the data or just the torrent in Transmission. Though you probably already did that... Besides that, I've got no idea..

@devil: Make sure the default download folders are right (like Jemini says, default is /c/media/BitTorrent or something like that) and make sure that the user running Transmission (username: nobody) has read and write rights in those folders. If you changed the default folders to something else, re-double check these permissions 😉
Message 423 of 921
cclambie
Aspirant

Thanks JarnoG - I managed to find a copy of the files on an external HDD, I must of "moved" instead of copied these files or something... (Not sure how/why this happened, but anyway)
Message 424 of 921
Jonny555
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm quite new to Linux and NAS'es but have spent 2 full evenings on trying to get Transmission to work without success. I tried to find any helping solution in one of the topics here, also without success.

I'm also getting the " permission denied " errors.
I already made a new share with full read/write access, reinstalled, manually edited the locations in settings.json and restarted the add on. Even ith fresh torrents the permission denied errors kept coming.

I did read a lot about other files to be changed trough SSH and sometimes even each couple of days. Since i'm still quite a newbie in the Linux world I don't think it will be a good idea for me to start snooping arround in files and folders I could do damage in.

The only reason I installed (or tried to install) the Transmission add on is because of the supporting of the use of a drop-in folder from which torrents automatically get added to Transmission for downloading. I read that it is possible in the normal BitTorrent client, but also not without tweaking/editing.

Could anyone tell me if there's a simple (easy-to-understand) solution for a) the permission-errors or b) automatic torrent-adding for download by another client (which would be quite off topic, I apologize for that)?

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 425 of 921
Top Contributors
Announcements