× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replicate created an unwanted folders when backing up

irishkeet
Tutor

Replicate created an unwanted folders when backing up

Hello

I am currently using the Replicate trial with a view to purchasing but I have a problem.
I am testing this on my LAN with both Pro boxes running the latest firmware version (4.2.19) with the latest replicate software installed.

For example:
On the local NAS I want to backup a folder called 'Tuesday' in a share called 'week' to the remote NAS - I called this backup job 'archive-backup'

The backup works correctly but I end up with a folder structure on the remote like - \archive-backup\2011-12-27 11-49\data\c\tuesday

Can someone please tell me what Im doing wrong. I dont want a long string of folders until I get to the backed up data. If I backup a folder called 'tuesday'

thanks
irishkeet
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Replicate created an unwanted folders when backing up

This is how Replicate backs up data.

It's good for being able to restore your files as they were at a particular time.
Message 2 of 5
irishkeet
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
This is how Replicate backs up data.

It's good for being able to restore your files as they were at a particular time.

-----------------------------------------
Hello mdgm

Happy christmas and thanks for your help again. I have to say I dont really like this system of adding sub folders and I know the customer will find it confusing.

Since posting this I have been playing around with backup via Frontview using Rsync, a suggestion you mentioned in my last post http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59629

I was thinking of trying to follow this method described by yoh-dah - http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=478

is Rsync over SSH a secure way to backup your data?

thanks
irishkeet 😎
Message 3 of 5
Skywarp
Tutor

is Rsync over SSH a secure way to backup your data?

rsync on its own is not, but the "over SSH" part means it's going through an encrypted tunnel.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, short of going all the way to setting up a VPN (can be quite costly), Rsync over SSH is the best method. Rsync over SSH is secure, but it does require you to port forward port 22 on the router at each site to the NAS at each site.

If you have not installed an add-on to enable SSH, using Rsync over SSH will enable SSH for Rsync only.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements