× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shared folders disappeared RN3138

jonbloke3276
Aspirant

Shared folders disappeared RN3138

Hi,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

I'm currently using a ReadyNas 3138 as a Plex media server and general all round file server. Had it a couple of years and until recently it's been great. However, suddenly shared folders have vanished when logged in via web browser. If I navigate to the shared folders using my Mac through the Mac Finder, all shared folders can clearly be seen and accessed and Plex server functions as normal, but logged in via the ReadyNas admin page using a browser... all I can see is the 'Home Folders' share.

Is it possible there's some kind of permissions issue here, that I might have disabled or something? I've upgraded the Nas to OS 6.10.10 to see if that fixed anything, but unfortunately nothing.

Any helpful advice or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: Shared folders disappeared RN3138

Are you seeing any warnings that the root is full?

Do you have a backup of the files?

Message 2 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

See https://gitlab.codycook.us/readynas-scripts/share_lun_ui_fix.sh.  Note that a backup of the NAS contents is recommended before you use this, just in case something goes wrong. 

I have put the script in my DropBox to make it easier: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oyotgpvlg641jt0forndk/share_lun_ui_fix.sh?rlkey=1efv49lhxblwq1zzarmhv... 

Message 3 of 16
jonbloke3276
Aspirant

loads of free space available - 6.6TB.

No external back up I'm afraid, just a RAID10 config of the RN3138.

Message 4 of 16
jonbloke3276
Aspirant

I'll have a look at how i can backup all the contents of the NAS first then. It's going to take quite large storage for that.

I've read the instructions via the gitlab link, however, I'm a little new to using ReadyNAS Terminal. Do i need to enable root SSH access first, as in the attached screenshot? Apologies but you might have to dumb this down for me as much as poss, only familiar with Mac OS.

Thanks for the help so far.

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

loads of free space available - 6.6TB.

You are confusing the space in the root (OS partition) and the data volume.  The root is only 4 GB (not TB), and holds the linux OS, the ReadyNAS application software, and the NAS configuration files.

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

No external back up I'm afraid, just a RAID10 config of the RN3138.

It would be prudent to make a back up right away.

Message 6 of 16
jonbloke3276
Aspirant

Sorry for being new at this. How do I access the root folder in order to check this? Do i need to enable SSH access?

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

I've read the instructions via the gitlab link, however, I'm a little new to using ReadyNAS Terminal. Do i need to enable root SSH access

Yes. Last time I looked the certificate for the script was expired.  But after you log in as root (using the NAS admin password), you can use these commands to execute it:

# cd //
# wget --no-check-certificate https://gitlab.codycook.us/readynas-scripts/share_lun_ui_fix.sh/raw/master/share_lun_ui_fix.sh
# chmod +x ./share_lun_ui_fix.sh
# ./share_lun_ui_fix.sh

(The # prefixes are the end of the NAS ssh prompt, you don't actually enter those)

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

Sorry for being new at this. How do I access the root folder in order to check this? Do i need to enable SSH access?

Download the log zip file from the logs page, and open volume.log.  Scroll down to the === df -h === section.  /dev/md0 is the root.

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G 1014M  2.8G  27% /
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm

On this NAS you can see it is 27% full.  This is fairly typical.

Message 9 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Yes. Last time I looked the certificate for the script was expired.  But after you log in as root (using the NAS admin password), you can use these commands to execute it:

The current instructions don't require a certificate.  They tell you to paste the text into a document created with VI (so it has LF-only EOL's, not CRLF's).  I did that and put the file in my dropbox.  Then you just execute in locally instead of with wget.

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

The current instructions don't require a certificate.  They tell you to paste the text into a document created with VI (so it has LF-only EOL's, not CRLF's).  I did that and put the file in my dropbox.  Then you just execute in locally instead of with wget.

In my instructions, wget is just downloading the script (so no need for vi).  I then execute it locally.

Message 11 of 16
jonbloke3276
Aspirant

Ok. So I downloaded the log file. Hopefully you can see the attached screenshot of the === df -h === section from the volume.log below. Looks like mine is 29%, so I guess that's normal.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 18.21.04.png

I've also now enabled SSH access.

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

Hopefully you can see the attached screenshot of the === df -h === section from the volume.log below. Looks like mine is 29%, so I guess that's normal.

I can see it, and agree it's normal.

Message 13 of 16
jonbloke3276
Aspirant

Thanks for the help so far Stephen.

So just so I'm clear next steps, I really first need to back up my data before running this script you and Sandshark referred to.

When I've completed a back up, is it just a case of using the terminal app on my Mac and logging in to the NAS using the following command...

ssh admin@NAS_IP

Then running the script provided previously <share_lun_ui_fix.sh> which I've already downloaded from sandshark's link, by entering the following command into terminal...

chmod +x ./share_lun_ui_fix.sh

Message 14 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

ssh admin@NAS_IP

ssh root@NAS_IP

Then enter the NAS admin password.

Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

@jonbloke3276 wrote:

chmod +x ./share_lun_ui_fix.sh

That makes the file executable (as a script).  Then you have to simply execute it by name ./share_lun_ui_fix.sh.  The leading ./ is needed when you execute from the current directory.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements