× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transmission on a Stora?

rickys666
Aspirant

Transmission on a Stora?

Hi All.

Just a quick question before I part with my hard erned cash. As the title says, 'Will Transmission run on a Stora?'
I am looking for a storage/streamer for my Home movies and would like to have the feature to download torrents. I currently have a Duo but instead of adding another Duo I thought of the Stora as that would be easier for other, not so technically minded, members of the family to access movies. OK its the wife.....

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Ricky
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Transmission on a Stora?

The Stora forum is at http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

I believe you can install Transmission on the Stora using a hack, but best to check in its forum.

If you configure a ReadyNAS properly it's going to be just as easy for your friends and family to use for accessing movies as the Stora. I would stick with what you know and get another ReadyNAS as I mentioned in your other thread (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314806#p314806).

What device is going to be hooked up to your TV to play your home movies?
Message 2 of 6
rickys666
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm.

First of all, I'll have a look on the Stora Forum, out of curiosity if nothing else. I have been looking for another Duo when I came across the Stora.

As far as what device I will use to hook up my TV. Not crossed that bridge yet, was going to use the PC to start with. I am new to the video side of things, Just got the music working on my Linn DS system as I want it now I am looking at the video.

Thanks
Ricky
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In regards to streaming video the TV, if you're hooking up a PC, some are big fans of Plex: http://www.readynas.com/plex. To run a Plex Media Server on your ReadyNAS you would of course need an x86 ReadyNAS (e.g. Ultra, Pro).

There are of course plenty of other options too, but it does depend on what you use. I would consider what device you intend to hook up to your TV before you purchase a NAS.

One advantage of using something like Plex is that you can also use it to transcode video (convert it on the fly) for streaming e.g. to an iPad. This is quite nice, but it's useful to have a fast NAS like the Pro 6 (may be out of your budget) if you want to stream to an iOS device. For ordinary playing back of video on a PC (no transcoding) any x86 ReadyNAS would be fine.

If you do get an x86 ReadyNAS (e.g. Ultra, Pro) you would need to transfer your data across your network (see http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another) if you are planning on transferring some data from the Duo, but the web interface would be familiar.
Message 4 of 6
rickys666
Aspirant

Thanks again mdgm.

A lot to think about and some planning required. Will have to ponder this over a nice malt and good music. 😄
The Pro 6 is a bit out of my budget for the amount of use it would get, video's would not used on a daily basis. You have given me a lot of possibilities, so thanks again its much appreciated. Good to see that the forum members are so forthcoming with information.

Regards

Ricky
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just to be clear: Streaming to a phone or something like an iPad is a relative luxury atm, but for streaming to an ordinary PC any ReadyNAS would be fine (if you want to use Plex Media Server on the ReadyNAS you could use an x86 ReadyNAS as cheap as the Ultra 2).

Work out what you want from your next NAS purchase and then ask some more questions so you can make an informed purchase of a device that suits your needs.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements