× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to install Plex on a ReadyNAS NV+ v2

TonyLong
Aspirant

Unable to install Plex on a ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Hi all

I am trying to install Plex media server on my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - RAIDiator 5.3.12. I have downloaded what I think are the relevant files from the Plax sit (there appears to be two ARM versions and tried instlling them through the Add-ons section of the Dshboard. The .deb files seem to upload, but when installation commences an error message stating "Archetecture is bad" is displayed. I believe that Plex is compatiable with this version of RAIDiator, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any assistrance would be welcomed.

Thanks

Tony Long

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to install Plex on a ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Plex only supplies deb files for OS 6 Readynas, not OS 5.  They dropped "legacy" ReadyNAS some months ago.

Message 2 of 9
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

You can always try uisng a older version of PLEX, or better yet, forget trying to run PLEX on that NAS as it's really SLOW!  I've tried in the past.  The big part in using PLEX is it's transcoding on the fly capability.  I use that ability on most files I play.  You r old ARM NAS can't do that anyway.  What I did was run PLEX on my Windows PC back then as it has the power to do the transcoding.   I did until I got a more powerful NAS.  The other option which may work for you is to stream the file to a program that will run and play it.  For example VLC,  

On AppleTV 4, there's a good App called "Infuse 4" that will allow you to stream your movies from your NAS directory.  So there's no need for a server/Client setup like with PLEX.  They also have a Pro version for $9.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infuse-4-elegant-video-player/id577130046?mt=8

So you can get a lot of the same type of abilities as PLEX, with Movie Art and Discriptions, and so forth.  You point it to your NAS folders you want it to have access to and away you go.  If you don't have a AppleTV 4, maybe a ROKU, you're using to stream with,  there's ROKU Media Player or Mezzmo which looks better but I have zero experiance with it.  I'm sure their may be others if you look.  What formats these support?    I think if you don't want to run PLEX on your PC, then trying a stand alone App on your streaming device is the next best option.

If you have something else, look around and see what there is for that.  

Message 3 of 9
TonyLong
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for the very prompt reply. Much appreciated. I found some old Plex third party add-on but a guy named "WhoCares" which have a .bin extsion, but they don't seem to work either. Is there no work around or other option? It seems strange that firmware updates would restrict the NAS and not expand it's capability.

Message 4 of 9
TonyLong
Aspirant

HI JBDragon1

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I tried installing Plax on my desktop computer, however when I tried to find the media library on the NAS it didn't show up and there didn't seem to be an option to select something connected through the newtork (router). I have a Kodi Android box attached to my TV which has the Plex app on it, which I can't use without Plex being on the NAS. It's native file explorer finds the movie files OK on the NAS and plays them without a problem, however without the movie information, covers, synopsis etc. generated by Plex they are hard to find etc. It doesnt have a great option for music either, which Plex woud cover also. The Android box seems to play all file types so transcoding at the NAS level wouldn't be required.

Not sure if that information offers any further options? Thnaks again for your advice.

Tony Long

Message 5 of 9
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Have you tried out "Exodus" on your Kodi Android Box?  I think it may have the type of interface you're looking for!!!  Here's a Link, scroll down a bit,  There's a Video on how to install also.  This may work for you.

http://www.wirelesshack.org/a-guide-to-kodi-and-watching-free-movies-and-tv-shows.html

I ran PLEX on my Windows PC for a couple years accessing my ReadyNAS NV+ V2 and was streaming to many differnt PLEX Clients just fine.

Message 6 of 9
TonyLong
Aspirant

Thanks again JBDragon1

I have "Exodus" which is great for finding movies on the internet, but I can't see anyway to link it to the NAS. I've had another look in Plex on desktop box and can't locate anyway to link to the NAS, which is on the network. Seems to be far harder than it should be. Thanks again.

Tony Long

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is the last version of the Plex app for the NV+ v2, I believe: https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.16.6.1993-5089475/PlexMediaServer-0.9.16.6.1993-5089...

Message 8 of 9
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Map your NAS to a drive letter.  You can just then just click on that like any other HDD on your computer.  Then you can easily add it to PLEX.  Right Click on where you Media is stored on the NAS in File Explorer, you'll see option to Map Network Drive, then Pick a letter you want to Map to.  Start with Z if it's not already used.  Once this is done, you can go into Plex, Home Page, Click + on right side of Library, Pick Movies, then click on Add Folders, then Browse for Meida, pick you new Z: drive which is your NAS, and if you have to, you can click deeper to the correct folder.  It really is pretty simple.  So I have a Folder on my NAS called Media, I have that Mapped to a drive letter.  I can just click on that and me in the NAS Media folder.  In that I have my Movies, TV, Music, and pictures.   

As for Exodus, I didn't know it was that type of program.  I hope you're using a VPN if you're grabbing anything.  I don't use Kodi, but I assume there may be something kindof like the other programs I listed.  Infuse 4 is a pretty nice program that would be perfect for you , but again it's Apple TV 4 only.  Well AppleTV 2 also on jail broken ones.  Well I guess they're up to Infuse 5 now it looks like.

https://firecore.com/infuse

So anyone have a AppleTV4 and have a NAS with just a ARM processor, and don't want to do the whole Server/Client thing like with PLEX, this is a great way to go.   AppleTV has a huge App community backing it and so it's getting support from just about everyone, other then Amazon Prime, unless you use your iPhone or iPad and then Airplay to the AppleTV.  

I know you have the Kodi running on a Android device. I know it used to be called XBMC.   Someone must know of a simular program to run on it as Infuse.  What I'm not getting, isn't KODI doing bascially the same thing as INFUSE?    Because I'm looking and seeing what you want.  You don't already have this?  https://kodi.tv/   so anything more is redundant.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements