× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

memory for ReadyNas Pro 6 firmware update

Munber54
Aspirant

memory for ReadyNas Pro 6 firmware update

Hi. I wrote a lot of stuff below but my main question is what type of memory I need for the ReadyNas Pro 6

and also,

Did I do everything I need to do to run the ReadyNas Pro 6 with the latest firmware?

I have 2 ReadyNas Pro 6 units which I was recently unable to use because they are still using SMBv1 and would  like to  use them for backup purposes...Thanks to some previous help from Sandshark and others here, i made some progress in getting them ready to use with Windows 10 and now I would like to know what i need to do to finish getting them ready for use.

first, I set Windows 10 so it can use SMBv1, allowing me to access the ReadyNas Pro 6 units. I then backed up all the stuff on my 2 readynas Pro 6 units...i went to the mega.nz site and downloaded the R4toR6_6.9.5.bin and PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin files...I logged into the ReadyNas units using https://nas-ip-address/admin and uploaded those 2 files to the ReadyNas...after uploading the files, I noticed the following messages on the readynas front panel...ERR - could not properly extract...Factory reset...Installing FW X-raid mode...creating volume...ReadyNas 6.9.5...Resync Data...it took about a full day for the Resync data to reach 100%...then i did the same for the other ReadyNas...so 2 days for both ReadyNas units.

after it finished with the Resync data, my passwords no longer worked. I was able to use the "admin" - "password" combination to access the readynas pro admin page...i got to a screen that said i could set up the Readynas, but i cancelled that with the intent to do that later because i didn't want to make a mistake by selecting the wrong options. However, I never saw that screen again so hopefully the settings are ok.
I saw a small popup box that said a new firmware version is available, version 6.10.4 ... so i updated to that version. I then unchecked the box in Windows 10 that lets the computer use SMBv1, rebooted the computer, and Windows 10 was able to map the documents folder from one of the ReadyNas units to a drive number, so I guess with the firmware update Windows 10 no longer needs to use SMBv1 to communicate with the ReadyNas

then i was able to copy a file from the computer to the documents folder on the ReadyNas, so it appears that i am now ready to back up about 12TB of files to each ReadyNas documents folder by way of a mapped drive letter... but member Sandshark said the new firmware requires more memory, so i should add more memory to the ReadyNas Pro 6...but I don't know which type to buy...would the Crucial 4GB Model CT2KIT25664AA1067 work? https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-4gb-240-pin-ddr2-sdram/p/N82E16820148249 ..or if not, does someone have a model number or link to 2 or 4 gb of memory that will work?... or do i need to open one of the readynas units to see what kind of memory will fit?

Once i add memory, is that all i need to do to use the ReadyNas Pro 6 units for storing files?

also, every time i log onto the ReadyNas units i get a warning message saying "visiting an untrustworthy website had been prevented"...then i have to click on where it says "I understand the risks and wish to proceed to the website"...I guess that's nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: memory for ReadyNas Pro 6 firmware update

@Munber54 wrote:

also, every time i log onto the ReadyNas units i get a warning message saying "visiting an untrustworthy website had been prevented"...then i have to click on where it says "I understand the risks and wish to proceed to the website"...I guess that's nothing to worry about?

It is expected.  The NAS uses a self-signed certificate, so it cannot be verified by a third party (like the browser).

@Munber54 wrote:

Did I do everything I need to do to run the ReadyNas Pro 6 with the latest firmware?

Yes, though you should of course set up your shares and finish your system setup.  Also you should put a backup plan in place for the NAS.

@Munber54 wrote:

would the Crucial 4GB Model CT2KIT25664AA1067 work? https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-4gb-240-pin-ddr2-sdram/p/N82E16820148249 .

2x2 GB is more cost effective than 2x4GB (and many 4 GB modules are not compatible). 

I believe your kit would work, but PC2-6400 (800MHz) is sufficient.  Other options are  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Munber54 wrote:

It is expected.  The NAS uses a self-signed certificate, so it cannot be verified by a third party (like the browser).

@Munber54 wrote:

Yes, though you should of course set up your shares and finish your system setup.  Also you should put a backup plan in place for the NAS.

@Munber54 wrote:

would the Crucial 4GB Model CT2KIT25664AA1067 work? https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-4gb-240-pin-ddr2-sdram/p/N82E16820148249 .

2x2 GB is more cost effective than 2x4GB (and many 4 GB modules are not compatible). 

I believe your kit would work, but PC2-6400 (800MHz) is sufficient.  Other options are  

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Oddly, none of those expressly state that they are 2Rx8, unbuffered, non-ECC, but I believe they are (as it must be for your NAS).  The GSkill has a slightly lower CAS latency, so will be marginally faster.  Plus, the GSkill shows it ships from USA and the Patriot from China.

As @StephenB said, nothing any faster than 800MHz will increase the speed of your NAS, even if you update the processor to one capable of suppoirting a 1033FSB, because the motherboard is limited to 800MHz FSB.

Message 3 of 5
Munber54
Aspirant

Thanks very much! I found 2 used G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT 2Gb on ebay.

I was trying to find 2 more  but then i thought since I have 2 ReadyNas Pro 6 units, i could remove one of the memory sticks from one of my ReadyNas and put it in the other ReadyNas, giving me 2 GB instead of 1 GB... Then when the ones from ebay arrive, I would have 2 GB in one ReadyNas and 4 GB in the other.  I assume that would work ok?

I clicked thru the admin page but can't find anything that says how much memory is available.  The manual says i can perform a memory check by pushing the power button while holding the Reset button with a straightened paper clip until i see a boot menu on the status screen, then pressing the backup button to scroll thru the boot mode options...do you know if there is an easier way to check the memory? I'd like to see something that tells me if the memory is working properly.

so thanks again for your assistance!

@StephenB wrote:

@Munber54 wrote:

@Munber54 wrote:

@Munber54 wrote:

Message 4 of 5
Munber54
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help. I ordered the GSkill memory from ebay.

@Sandshark wrote:

Oddly, none of those expressly state that they are 2Rx8, unbuffered, non-ECC, but I believe they are (as it must be for your NAS).  The GSkill has a slightly lower CAS latency, so will be marginally faster.  Plus, the GSkill shows it ships from USA and the Patriot from China.

As @StephenB said, nothing any faster than 800MHz will increase the speed of your NAS, even if you update the processor to one capable of suppoirting a 1033FSB, because the motherboard is limited to 800MHz FSB.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements