× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

remove webroot and addons-config netshare

Bante
Aspirant

remove webroot and addons-config netshare

I've been trying out some community addons and I didnt use them as much so I removed them.

The removal worked great but for some reason my computers can still see shares that have been created by these addons. They don't show up in frontview, only in windows network. Any ideas how to remove these? These shares are named "webroot" and "addons-config"

Any help appriciated!
Message 1 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Re: remove webroot and addons-config netshare

did you reboot ?

if a share exist it will appear in frontview
Message 2 of 25
Bante
Aspirant

Yes, I've restarted my unit many times, but the shares are still there in windows network but nothing in frontview. Any other ideas?
Message 3 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

can yiou browse the share and see what's in it ?
Message 4 of 25
Bante
Aspirant

no, im not able to browse them since they are password protected.
Message 5 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

by default webroot and addons-config are not password protected

will see what I can do for you
Message 6 of 25
Bante
Aspirant

any progress or ideas?

It struck me that it might be some cache thing on my computer, remembering old shares on the network. So I removed every entry in regedit but it didnt help.

I've tried to log into these shares with all kinds of usernames and passwords but with no progress. I've tried reinstalling a backup firmware but shares are still there.
Message 7 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Message 8 of 25
Bante
Aspirant

wow thanks alot!

I just tried it but unfortunatly it didnt work. First I got error message when updating the nv+, then I got a message that the share was removed. However the shares are still there after reboot.
Message 9 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

what kind of message ?

what do you mean by still there : on your pc or on the nas ?
Message 10 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

btw can you download it again from this site ?
Message 11 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

let me explain something :

1) if the nas reboot and detect a directory in /c which is not in share listing, it will be added and you will see it in frontview

2) if the nas see an entry in is config for a share and the directory is missing it will complain and provide a warning

are you in one of this case ?

if not I think it's computer related
Message 12 of 25
Bante
Aspirant

Thanks alot for your time and help, really appriciated!

Well, my problem doesn't really fit into any of your two options. My nas doesn't give me any warning and the "addons-config" and "webroot" share is not listed in frontview. However, they show up in windows network and even readynas remote and they are unnaccessible.

I tried your update above, and now it worked without any errors, but the problem remains.

I tried re-adding the shares again. All went well, they showed up in frontview and I could even access them in windows network. They were empty of course. Then I tried deleting them, restart the nas, and update windows network, but they were still there, unaccessible again.

So I tried the same procedure with a share named "test". It worked, it showed up in windows network and then it disappeared when I removed it. Flawlessly.

Very wierd.
Message 13 of 25
Bante
Aspirant

Allright, I finally managed to get rid of them by turning back to factory default. Seems like the nas was broadcasting these shares even though they didn't exist. Weird.
Message 14 of 25
wirewizard
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, I have removed the webroot and addons-config shares manually in frontview after removing the transmission addon. The shares are there, but they are not accessable.

I also tried the bin file you posted to remove the directories, still the shares are there. it's not a windows cache issue as I can see these shares on my android phone.

I logged into the box via SSH and checked the Shares.conf located in /etc/frontview/samba/Share.conf and this only shows the shares that are supposed to be there (videos, music, pics, other), not the 2 shares that are unremovable after installing transmission. Also in /c/ these folders are not apparent, neither are they apparent on the root, yet if I run an mkdir and create these folders in either /c/ or the root, the shares are usable again, unfortunately, this share then does not show up in frontview to delete it.

I'm not sure what I should do next, but I have near 1.5tb of data that I cannot factory reset as I don't have another home for it to go to at present. Is there a solution for this?
Message 15 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

wirewizard wrote:
I am having the same issue, I have removed the webroot and addons-config shares manually in frontview after removing the transmission addon. The shares are there, but they are not accessable.

I also tried the bin file you posted to remove the directories, still the shares are there. it's not a windows cache issue as I can see these shares on my android phone.

I logged into the box via SSH and checked the Shares.conf located in /etc/frontview/samba/Share.conf and this only shows the shares that are supposed to be there (videos, music, pics, other), not the 2 shares that are unremovable after installing transmission. Also in /c/ these folders are not apparent, neither are they apparent on the root, yet if I run an mkdir and create these folders in either /c/ or the root, the shares are usable again, unfortunately, this share then does not show up in frontview to delete it.

I'm not sure what I should do next, but I have near 1.5tb of data that I cannot factory reset as I don't have another home for it to go to at present. Is there a solution for this?

can you provide me ssh access ? If yes PM me
Message 16 of 25
wirewizard
Aspirant

I have PM'ed you
Message 17 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

it should be solved
Message 18 of 25
wirewizard
Aspirant

top stuff, that worked a treat (whatever you did), thank you very much 😄 do you have a guide just in case I have some problems in the future (as I may reinstall transmission at a later time)

Thanks so much for your help 🙂
Message 19 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

will do an addon for this
Message 20 of 25
vatazhka
Aspirant

I removed these shares from /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf and it worked.
Message 21 of 25
VNY
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello. I installed the "transmission" addon and upon deleting it, was unable to get rid of "addons-config and "webroot" shares regardless of what I did. I also now have "home", "c" shares I do not want to see in my computers network lineup. Please help

PS
I've already re-installed firmware and the condition still exists. This time, in addition, the "backup" folder isn't in Radiators shares. Cant re-create that either; says it aready exists, which it does in my PC's network.
I've also enabled SSH at one time and follwed this board to remove shares from the exact root folders. deleted them but they they're still there. Went back to do it again and couldnt find them in "samba" directory the second time although they were still in network..Weird...

Please help me get rid of these folders ( addons-config; webroot; Home; C;) . They're driving me nuts

Thanks in advance.
Message 22 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

"home" and "c" are only seen if you login as "admin" (Frontview user). Don't login as "admin" if you don't want to see those shares.

You could try installing the CreateMissingSharePaths add-on. Then delete the shares you want to delete via Frontview. This should remove the entries for the shares in /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf

In /etc/frontview/samba/addons you should delete the relevant entries from the addons.conf file and the conf files for the shares created by addons you want to delete such as "addons-config.conf"

Then reboot the NAS to verify the problem is fixed.
Message 23 of 25
VNY
Aspirant
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
"home" and "c" are only seen if you login as "admin" (Frontview user). Don't login as "admin" if you don't want to see those shares.

You could try installing the CreateMissingSharePaths add-on. Then delete the shares you want to delete via Frontview. This should remove the entries for the shares in /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf

In /etc/frontview/samba/addons you should delete the relevant entries from the addons.conf file and the conf files for the shares created by addons you want to delete such as "addons-config.conf"

Then reboot the NAS to verify the problem is fixed.

OK...Update

I went in SSH using Putty and deleted webroot.conf and addons-config.conf...that did that. By the way... the CreateMissingSharePath restored the "backup" folder

Now...the only thing that exists is "C" and "Home" showing up on my PC's Network Path; Ex; Readynas (NAS).
Well..I never saw the "C" and "Home" shares until I read something and then selected "User" from Radiator Security Mode. Changed it back to "Share" but "C" and "Home" remained. I haven't logged in any differently; like you stated as "admin" so I cant see whats happening there.

I appeciate all the help
Message 24 of 25
rkeran
Aspirant

I just ran into this issue with my ReadyNAS Duo and would like to confirm the following for anyone else that experiences it. I installed - and subsequently de-installed - the Transmission addon which resulted in "webroot" and "addon-config" phantom shares being left on my device. I had the same issues discussed throughout the thread re. not being able to see the shares in Frontview, and I could not delete them via normal access to the device (as an admin user via AFP or CIFS). Firmware reloads and/or updates did not correct the issue and I was loathe to reset the device to factory settings forcing me to backup and re-sync 2TB of media. I finally loaded the addons suggested (Enable Root SSH Access; Toggle SSH) and accessed the device via SSH using Cyberduck on my MacBook Pro. After deleting the "addons-config.conf" and "webroot.conf" files found in /etc/frontview/samba/addons, everything is back to normal and at least I learned how to SSH into my ReadyNAS Duo in the process...nerve-wracking as it was. My thanks to all the other posters for their help and info here.
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements