× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 6.5.1 / InDesign CC 2015.4 (Mac) Bug/Issue

A212
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 6.5.1 / InDesign CC 2015.4 (Mac) Bug/Issue

Server Hardware: ReadyNAS 516 running firmware version 6.5.1 and Egnyte Storage Sync 10.3.2.348, Affected Users: Mac OS X v.10.11.5 running Adobe InDesign CC 2015.4 (latest version - Mac)

After upgrading from ReadyNAS 6.5.0 to 6.5.1 on a Netgear ReadyNAS 516 whenever our users are saving files (using Save As or Save As Copy) from the current version of Adobe InDesign CC (Mac) via the SMB protocol directly to the ReadyNAS in the .INDD or .INDT format or exporting PDFs, JPGs, PNGs from InDesign CC (Mac) directly to the NAS, the files are not visible in the Mac OS X Finder or in Windows Explorer. It seems the hidden attribute is turned on when the file is saved or the PDF, JPG, or PNG file is exported directly to the NAS. The issue does not occur when saving to the .IDML format nor does it affect Adobe Photoshop CC or Illustrator CC or Adobe Creative Suite 6.x applications.The issue also does not affect InDesign CC (Windows). When checking the ReadyNAS web interface, the files are clearly on the NAS and can be synced to the Egnyte Cloud via Storage Sync. Our users did not experience this issue on ReadyNAS 6.5.0 and Storage Sync 10.3.0. The only workaround is to save or export locally then copy the files back onto the NAS. From a Windows PC, we can show hidden files on the NAS and uncheck the hidden attribute or use Adobe Bridge CC (Mac) to view the files then toggle the Lock Item on/off to force the file to become visible. However, if the file is opened in Adobe InDesign CC and then saved via Save As or Save As Copy, the file will once again become hidden.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 19
A212
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 6.5.1 / InDesign CC 2015.4 (Mac) Bug/Issue

Issue appears to be permissions related as recently created user accounts were not affected; only older existing user accounts were affected by this issue. After deleting user accounts solely from the ReadyNAS (and not from the Egnyte Cloud), re-creating those user accounts on the ReadyNAS, going into the Egnyte Storage Sync and resetting permissions, refreshing & auto-mapping users and letting the Egnyte Cloud permissions sync back down to the ReadyNAS, the issue was resolved. Immediately after logging into the ReadyNAS, the invisible/hidden files were now visible both in the Mac OS X Finder and Windows Explorer. Furthermore, saving files from InDesign CC (Mac) directly to the ReadyNAS no longer resulted in hidden/invisible files.

Message 2 of 19
benjh7
Aspirant

I've experienced exactly this same issue with precisely the same set-up and software versions that you've mentioned. I tried deleting one user from the ReadyNAS as a test case (myself) and then re-added, plus then reset permissions on Storage Sync and refreshed and auto-mapped users, but this doesn't appear to have solved it for me. I can see that the InDesign files are there by accessing the files via the ReadyNAS admin page, but in using Mac Finder to navigate to those same folders many of the files are just hidden from view. Could you walk me through again the steps you took to resolve this at your end? Many thanks.

Message 3 of 19
A212
Aspirant

After you reset permissions and refresh/auto-map the users, did you initiate a synchronization in Storage Sync between the Egnyte Cloud and ReadyNAS. If the Egnyte Cloud and the ReadyNAS don't synchronize, the permissions and workgroup changes will not be applied. Make sure you let the sync finish completely before trying to connect to the ReadyNAS again and testing InDesign CC. After the first sync is done, press the synchronize button a second time (I always do this a second time because sometimes after the initial sync, permissions and sync files don't immediately show up on the NAS).

I had also noticed that two recently created user accounts were unaffected by this issue. Only previously created user accounts were affected. I would suggest creating a new user account on the ReadyNAS and in Egnyte and test that new account to make sure it is not affected by the issue. If new accounts are affected, then your issue may not be the same as mine. In that case, you may need to open a ticket with Egnyte support so they can try to reset permissions between the Egnyte Cloud and ReadyNAS (Note: I did go through this process with Egnyte; however, it did not work in my case and in turn, I figured out that the solution to resolve this issue was to delete the user accounts on the ReadyNAS).

I also noticed that affected accounts were able to save the InDesign CC files visibly to the Private Folder (individual's user folder) but not in the Shared Folder. I would test this as well so see if you are experiencing the same conditions.

Message 4 of 19
A212
Aspirant

Here are the steps I took to resolve the issue:

1. On the ReadyNAS, delete one affected user account

2. Re-create the affected user account on the ReadyNAS

3. On the Egnyte Storage Sync dashboard/management console, reset permissions then refresh and auto-map users

4. Initiate a synchronization and wait until the synchronization completes (you should see the "Applying Workgroup Changes" appear)

5. After the initial synchronization completes, initiate a second synchronization

6. Login to the ReadyNAS (I assume you connect via SMB/CIFS as AFP does not work with the Egnyte sync).

7. Launch InDesign CC (Mac, 2015.4), create a document and save (using Save As or Save As Copy) directly to the ReadyNAS

8. Check to see if the saved file is visible (in my case, the saved file was visible and also, all the previous hidden/non-visible files were also visible).

Before you perform these steps, give your ReadyNAS a reboot (this also toggles the Egnyte app off/on) just to make sure there are no other issues with the ReadyNAS. I did not do this before performing these steps but I did reboot the ReadyNAS when we first noticed the issue (to eliminate a NAS issue).

Message 5 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi A212,

We appreciate that you have raised this in the community and for providing workarounds that you did to resolve it. We will check this on our end and provide feedback as soon as we find something.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 19
benjh7
Aspirant

I just wanted to say a big thanks for your time and help with this - I appreciate it very much.

The only complicating factor for me is that we have been migrating to the ReadyNAS since May and a large final batch of files is currently syncing with Egnyte. Workgroup changes etc are still synced but it means I can't wait for the sync to complete and then re-sync as I could still be waiting a little while until this sync completes (it's currently 15,000 files complete with 85,000 to go). Once this is complete - which I hope will be mid-next week - I will try your steps word for word to see if this resolves it. I am reassured that the files are there by checking via the ReadyNAS, but just disconcerted that they are hidden to those who need to access them at present. Hopefully what you've outlined will resolve it.

Can I also ask, when you said recently added users weren't affected, how recent did you mean? We first added all our users at the tail end of May - and this issue seems to apply to everyone thus far. Did you also find that this only applied to InDesign/Illustrator rather than any other Creative Suite applications too? I think this is the case for us at least.

I also noticed the message from Brian in the NetGear team. If this is a bug then it would be great if it could be resolved - I realise these things do happen but it is quite disconcerting when you rely on consistent and dependable access.

Many thanks to you both for your time and help. I will try these steps once I'm able to and provide an update.

Message 7 of 19
A212
Aspirant

The recent users that were unaffected by this issue were added to our ReadyNAS & Egnyte Cloud two weeks prior to the upgrade to ReadyNAS FW 6.5.1 and Egnyte Storage Sync 10.3.2.348. The affected users were setup two to three years ago. The issue only affected InDesign CC (Mac) files saved directly to the ReadyNAS. Affected file types included .INDD and .INDT (when using Save As or Save As Copy). In addition, exporting to PDF, PNG, JPG also resulted in the hidden/invisible files. Saving to .IDML and exporting to .EPS were not affected. Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC were fine as well. I also tried InDesign in Adobe Creative Suite 6 and it worked fine. InDesign CC (Windows) was not affected by the issue either.

If you use Adobe Bridge CC (Mac) to view the locations where the InDesign CC files were saved, Adobe Bridge CC would be able to see those hidden/invisible files and if you toggled the Lock Item on/off (right-click or CTRL click on the file in Adobe Bridge to see the Lock Item option), the hidden/invisible files would become visible again. However, once you saved over the file with Save As or Save As Copy, the file would become hidden/invisible once again. On a Windows PC, if you Show Hidden Items, those files would show as hidden and you could uncheck the Hidden attribute. Again, using Save As or Save As Copy in InDesign CC would once again make those files hidden.

Prior to getting the issue fixed, the only solution for users was to have them save their InDesign CC files locally and then copy back onto the ReadyNAS. While not a long-term solution, it was the only viable alternative outside of working off the Egnyte cloud.

Message 8 of 19
amagill123
Aspirant

We are having same exact issue.  Problem is that after resetting permissions, new PDF files are not hidden, but old ones are still hidden using Finder.  Windows based machines are fine and files are not hidden; but SMB connection via Finder on Mac shows the PDFs created as hidden still.

Message 9 of 19
A212
Aspirant

Prior to resetting permissions, did you delete an affected user account from the ReadyNAS and then re-create it?

Message 10 of 19
amagill123
Aspirant

Yes.  We did those exact steps, and old ones are still hidden, but new ones are not.

Message 11 of 19
A212
Aspirant

Just to confirm, you are running OS X v.10.11.5 or 10.11.6, correct? Have you tried to connect to the ReadyNAS with other user accounts to see if those PDFs are hidden with the other accounts as well? Have you tried a reboot of the NAS? Can you try connecting to the NAS using CIFS instead of SMB to see if it makes a difference?

Message 12 of 19
benjh7
Aspirant

Hi A212,

I'm still struggling to resolve the issue at my end. I have tried removing users on the device and re-adding but it didn't seem to resolve it. One query I did want to run past you was what level of permissions on Egnyte your users have as I wondered if this might play a role here - for instance, "editor" versus "full"? Any guidance you might be able to offer on this side of things would be great.

Many thanks for your time and help.

Message 13 of 19
A212
Aspirant

On the Egnyte side, users are setup as Power Users and assigned to Groups. Groups are assigned access to the top-level folder hierarchy and given Full permissions to folders for which they are granted access.

Message 14 of 19
benjh7
Aspirant

That's interesting and very helpful - thanks. Our users are all Power Users but, upon examining today, they had 'editor' level permissions not 'full'. I will try updating this and see if this happens to correct the issue. Thanks again.

Message 15 of 19
jpricescout
Aspirant

I just took one of my 4220s to 6.51 and immediately started seeing this issue as well. Invisible files when saved through Indesign. When saved locally and dragged from the finder to the share no issues. We are going to test the remove user/perms/add user/sync/perms again.

Model: ReadyNASRNRX4420|ReadyNAS 2100
Message 16 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still have this problem? The latest firmware is currently 6.6.0.

Message 17 of 19
jpricescout
Aspirant

We have not moved from 6.5.1 yet. The remove user trick has worked. EOY is huge to our company so not upgrading till after the rush.

Message 18 of 19
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpricescout,

Thanks for the update. Feel free to add any other updates on this thread if there is any.

Regards,

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements