× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 1 PC refuse to access router setting using default gateway (192.168.1.1)

Bobearth
Aspirant

1 PC refuse to access router setting using default gateway (192.168.1.1)

Hi, 

3 month ago, I purchasea WNDR4300v2 router and I got trouble acessing the router setting page using the defauld gateway (192.168.1.1).  When I enter 192.168.1.1 in the address, chrome display this massage "This page is not available" and the login screen doesn't show up.

- Internet is working on the router.

- I can acess the router setting page with a ps4 using 192.168.1.1 But not with my Pc.

If I run ipconfig with my pc the default gateway is 192.168.1.1

if I ping 192.168.1.1   (packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost 0)

I tried to restart moden router and PC several time, the pc comunicate with the router because I plug to the internet trough it. But it just refuse to display the login screen when I try to acess it. I tred 3 different browser chorme, explorer and firefox. 

I pretty sure that my pc is to blame here because:

- I cac acess hte router setting using other device like laptop, cellphone and gamming console. Only my PC refuse to display the login screen.

any Idee what cant prevent my PC fromdisplaying the login screen when I enter 192.168.1.1

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

You can try the tip provided by Netgear to relax the restrictions on Kaspersky (link).

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

You could check your PCs network settings to see if it is set to public or private, this can affect the PCs access to other network resources. Take a look at the ‘Network and Sharing Center’.

Message 2 of 11
Bobearth
Aspirant

I can't find nything about private or public.

All I find is that my network is set to "home network"

On of Home networks, you can see other computers and devices on the network, your computer is discoverable, and you can create or join a homegroup.

I think it should be visible.

Message 3 of 11
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

If you go to a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all you will see the IP address allocated to the PC if DHCP is enabled, it will also tell you if DHCP is enabled. The IP address of the Gateway should be the address of the Netgear router which the computer is connected to. It should be a Private IP address;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

What is the brand and model number of the modem that the router is connected to?

Message 4 of 11
Bobearth
Aspirant

DHCP is enabled, For my "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection"    

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

there also other adapter that I don't know what they are like:

Tunnel adapter isatap. 

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

And the Modem that I use is a Thomson DCM475 

Message 5 of 11
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Well that all looks correct to me, so the typical things that might stop you being able to log in at http://192.168.1.1 are Anti-virus / firewall software, including the Windows Firewall, and the type of network the computer thinks it’s connected to e.g. public /home/private
Message 6 of 11
Bobearth
Aspirant

Thanks you very much "Mars Mug" for your help.Smiley Very Happy

It turn out hat It was related to the firewall or antivirus, I'm not quit sure what, was the actual problem but I can now acess my router.

Here what I did.

I started by unpluging the internet from the router (by unpluging the cable between the modem and router), But I let the wire between the pc and router. Because the internet way unplug I got a totally  different message from my browser.

Instead of : "This page is not available"

I got this : "Unable to access the network"  and a Link (a button) to diagnose the problem.

Diagnose result :  "Security policy settings or firewall settings on this computer might be blocking the connection"

here the steps I took from there:

1- I close my Anti-virue and firewall (K.I.S.)   * I couldn't connect to the router at that point

2- close Windows firewall (since it automaticaly took over after I shut down K.I.S.)    * it didn't worked.

3- I restored windows firewall to default setting. * Still no success

I wanted to try to close windows defende  but I didn't know how. I needed to research how to do it online.  So I restarted K.I.S (kaspersky internet security) while doing so windows firewall give back the control of the firewall to K.I.S. and I also replug the internet in to the router.

I decided to retest it at this point, just for fun I enter 192.168.1.1 and there it is the loggin windows, and I was able to acess my router.

I don't know If it work because I did reset windows firewall to default setting.

To me it deosn't make any sence since I don't use windos firewall at all. and windows is telling me that firewall is been managed by vendor application Kaspersky internet security. Or maybe the reset didn't do anything at all and I've just been locky again. I didn't mention this before but this problem happen before. I have this router for 3 month. First month I was unable to acess my router, secound month without doing anything I was able to access the router just like normal, and then for the 3third month I was again unable to access it. And now I am able to access it . 

Is it working because of the reset or did it fix it's self on it own, I really don't know?

Anyway,your help was really helpfull, thanks again 

Message 7 of 11
Bobearth
Aspirant

False Joy....

It worked until I restarted my PC, now I still got the exact same problem Can't login to router.

Anyway, now I know that my problem is somehow related to the firewall of antivirus...

I guess I'll have to try to dig deeper 

Message 8 of 11
TheEther
Guru

You can try the tip provided by Netgear to relax the restrictions on Kaspersky (link).

Message 9 of 11
Bobearth
Aspirant

Thanks you very much !

This link is very clear.

Unfortunatly it didn't fix my problem!

Now I will try the last step of that link:

" If you are still unable to access the page, you will need to uninstall Kaspersky, and then access the page. Please contact Kaspersky support for more information and assistance. Once you have successfully accessed the page, reinstall Kaspersky."

Hopefully someone at Kaspersky will be able to help me.

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
Bobearth
Aspirant

Well Unstalling and reinstalling the anti-virus (kaspersky internet security) Seem to be working so far.

I was able to acess the router as soon as I uninstall K.I.S., And I'm still able to acess the router  after I reinstal K.I.S. 

It still work after several reboot and I also updated K.I.S and I still able to get acess to my router.

Oh and I didn't put Chrome into the exclusion in K.I.S. I did try it before unstalling K.I.S but now I run it on default setting and it working. I don't think I would feel confortable running chrome app if  it's into the exclusion zone of K.I.S. Like it's sugessted here on this link  provided by TheEther. After all, I bough the "Internet security" version of Kaspersky for a reason. I want security while i'm browsing the internet!!!  If I put my web browser into the exclusion zone it will no longer be monitored by kaspersky. 

Anyway thank you both Mars Mug & TheEther for Helping and pinpointing exactly what was my problem.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7