× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 180 out of modem, max of 95 from r6400v2

Bassundegrace
Aspirant

180 out of modem, max of 95 from r6400v2

From my laptop I am getting roughly 180mb down directly out of my cable modem, but when plugged into myr6400v2 behind the modem I get a max internet speed around 95mb.  I restored the R6400v2 back to the original firmware and factory reset with no change.  The router seems to work fine, almost wondering if the isp has some way of detecting the device type and throttling it if it is a router.   Myabe a DNS change to see if it help?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Bassundegrace
Aspirant

I was right, apparently the isp modem can tell what kind of device it is.   I got an express vpn subscription and uploaded their firmware for my router.  Items in the no VPN group now get roughly 170mb.  That's dirty. The tech can say I get full speed from your laptop at the modem must be your network, and just walk right out your house placing the blame on you, when they are throttling by device type.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What cable modem do you have? 

have you tried replacing the cable between the modem---router and router---device? 

I've seen sketchy cat 5e cables limit the connection to 10/100 versus gigabit. 

Message 2 of 5
Bassundegrace
Aspirant

They are cat 5e, tried a few different cables.  Modem sb6190.  Going to try and swithc the DNS to cloudflare and see if that does anything.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Try a cat 6 cable. 

You can also log into the router and check connections. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 4 of 5
Bassundegrace
Aspirant

I was right, apparently the isp modem can tell what kind of device it is.   I got an express vpn subscription and uploaded their firmware for my router.  Items in the no VPN group now get roughly 170mb.  That's dirty. The tech can say I get full speed from your laptop at the modem must be your network, and just walk right out your house placing the blame on you, when they are throttling by device type.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7