× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC 1750 Ethernet defaults to 10mbps, won't go full 1 Gbps

Eidolon87
Aspirant

AC 1750 Ethernet defaults to 10mbps, won't go full 1 Gbps

Whenever I plug a new device into the AC1750 (rd400v2) router it defaults the connection to 10 Mbps, it happened to my old laptop, new laptop, old usb-c hub, new usb-c hub...eventually I get everything working through a ridiculous combination of unplugging things in the correct order. But is there a faster way of fixing this? I can set the speed & duplex up to 100mbps and auto-negotiation gets set to 100 Mbps but if I try to go to 1.0 Gbps internet immediately drops.

Also it is not the cable, it's Cat6; this only occurs when plugging in a new device, today it was a USB-C hub that I got from work (they were throwing it out). Normally my Ethernet speed is between 700-850 Mbps.

Also, also this is my roommates router and its password protected.

Also, also, also, the ethernet just started working at full speed...900mbps (what?!), needless to say I would still like to know if there's a faster way to fix this issue, besides waiting (hoping) for the router to stop being stupid. I had an Arris before this and it was never so temperamental.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

@Eidolon87 wrote:

Whenever I plug a new device into the AC1750 (rd400v2) router it defaults the connection to 10 Mbps

I assume that this is the R6400v2.

The usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Have you tried any of the usual tricks? Like a factory reset on the router?

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then there is the startup order:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Also, also this is my roommates router and its password protected.

Maybe your room mate has set it up in some strange way.

Message 2 of 6
Eidolon87
Aspirant

Yes, it is an R6400v2.

No, idea about the firmware as it is not my router but I would be surprised if it was anything other than stock. I would LOVE to factory reset the router but as it is not mine I feel like that would be a breach of trust. I am very certain there is a quick fix in the router settings.

The modem is a Nighthawk CM2000. The dock my Ethernet is plugged into is a Dell Displaylink Ud22, but as I wrote before this issue occurs with every new device connected to the router, docks, laptops, with the exception of my chromebook.

Thank you for the startup order, I've noticed if I keep WiFi on eventually the router will figure things out(?) and I'll start hitting gig speeds but if keep WiFi off I'll never hit anything beyond 100 mbps. And if I try to manually force 1 gig speeds through speed and duplex, the connection just cycles through connected/disconnected, I'll get internet for a few seconds and then it drops.

My roommate isn't an idiot when it comes to technology but I would be surprised if he was playing around with internal router settings. The only reason we are using his router is because according to him it plays nice with Comcast XiOne streaming device which allows him to watch international 'futbol'.

Message 3 of 6

@Eidolon87 wrote:

Yes, it is an R6400v2.

No, idea about the firmware as it is not my router but I would be surprised if it was anything other than stock.

Yes, but which version? There have been more than 20 firmware updates since this router first appeared in 2017.

I am very certain there is a quick fix in the router settings.

What tells you that?

If you are correct, you will have to use a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) to do anything with those settings.

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The modem is a Nighthawk CM2000. The dock my Ethernet is plugged into is a Dell Displaylink Ud22, but as I wrote before this issue occurs with every new device connected to the router, docks, laptops, with the exception of my chromebook.

That is a simple cable modem, no router bit to get in the way.

Is that Ethernet from the dock to the router? To the laptop? I am not familiar with those devices. Maybe someone else knows more.

Do you see the same thing if you plug the laptop into one of the router's LAN ports?

I've noticed if I keep WiFi on eventually the router will figure things out(?) and I'll start hitting gig speeds but if keep WiFi off I'll never hit anything beyond 100 mbps. And if I try to manually force 1 gig speeds through speed and duplex, the connection just cycles through connected/disconnected, I'll get internet for a few seconds and then it drops.

To me this smells like a connected device issue, rather than anything happening on the router.

Manually force in what way and where? In Windows on the PC?

Message 4 of 6
Eidolon87
Aspirant

Dear Michael 

If this is a connected device issue explain to me why this issue of the Netgear 1750 rd400v2 defaulting to 10mbps whenever a new device is connected to the router, has occurred to an Acer Predator 15 (2019) laptop, an Asus Strix g16 (2023), and every USB-C hub?

I have no idea which version of the firmware the router is running as it is not my router (which I have stated multiple times) which is why (knowing my roommate) he doesn't seem like the type to update router firmware in his spare time, which is why I said 'stock'. If you have a command which I could send to the router that tells me the current firmware please provide it.

The internet goes from the wall via a coax cable to the modem to the router to my CAT6 to my USB-C hub to my laptop. If I unplug the CAT 6 cable and plug it directly into my laptop same issue: speed defaults to 10mbps or doesn't connect at all. If I plug the ethernet into a separate USB-c doc and plug it into my Chromebook the speed is still being capped at 10mbps.

THE COMMON THEME IS WHENEVER I CONNECT A NEW DEVICE TO THE ROUTER, ROUTER NEVER CORRECTLY NEGOTIATES THE SPEED WITH ANNNNNNNNY NEW DEVICE.

Message 5 of 6

@Eidolon87 wrote:

Dear Michael 

If this is a connected device issue explain to me why this issue of the Netgear 1750 rd400v2 defaulting to 10mbps whenever a new device is connected to the router, has occurred to an Acer Predator 15 (2019) laptop, an Asus Strix g16 (2023), and every USB-C hub?

The clue is in the network label. A network consists of a strong of  bits and pieces that have to negotiate a connection with the "upstream" devices between it and the Internet. For many devices, they have to check the state of the upstream connection before they deicide what their own settings should be. So the router checks the modem and then decides what settings to adopt.

A Windows PC checks the router and responds to what it sees. If Windows sees something suspicious it may even refuse to connect at all. A PC has the added hurdle of finding the right drivers for things like USB devices. There can be a lot of those and some USB drivers, such as Intel's wifi chips, are harder to track down than others.

Who knows what it takes to allow things through this USB hub?

Troubleshooting is a case of methodically checking every chain in the network.

I have no idea which version of the firmware the router is running as it is not my router (which I have stated multiple times) which is why (knowing my roommate) he doesn't seem like the type to update router firmware in his spare time, which is why I said 'stock'. If you have a command which I could send to the router that tells me the current firmware please provide it.

You can say "I don't know" as often as you like but you are asking for help that may depend on getting an answer. 

In router terms "stock" just means that it comes from the router maker rather than a third party firmware jockey who wants to enable features and controls that the stock firmware doesn't support. As I have explained that router has seen a whole series of stock firmware over the years.

You get the firmware version by logging into the router's GUI. (See above.)

Also, replies like "it doesn't connect at all" include no diagnostic help.

Most devices will throw up prompts or messages with clues as to why they can't connect. Windows even has troubleshooting "wizards" that try to diagnose problems

THE COMMON THEME IS WHENEVER I CONNECT A NEW DEVICE TO THE ROUTER, ROUTER NEVER CORRECTLY NEGOTIATES THE SPEED WITH ANNNNNNNNY NEW DEVICE.

That's not how it works, When you connect a new device it is up to the device to negotiate a connection.

The router may see something odd and respond accordingly, for example if it was setup to block certain services or to block new devices. In that case, you need to get into the router's GUI and examine the settings, including the firmware version. It may be that a device needs something that wasn't supported in the original firmware.

The first move is to check the firmware in the router followed by a router reset to the default settings. Neither of these moves are in your hands.

You seem to be stuck behind a router that you can't control. So there isn't much point in asking which settings to look at on the router. There is no magic button that you can press to unclog your connection.

You need to get your room mate to troubleshoot the network that you are plugged into. Only they know what settings they have created that may be blocking your Internet service.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7