× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blinking USB light and signal not reaching

BioHazardBeauty
Follower

Blinking USB light and signal not reaching

Netgear CM400 Modem and AC1000 Router;

I just moved into this house and the landlord already had these set up, however, the modem was buried behind a freezer so I dug it out and set it up away from obstructions.
The issue is that both the modem and router are downstairs on the opposite corner of the house from me and I don’t get any signal, when I do it is very intermittent and drops constantly, I feel like this shouldn’t be happening; however, I did get a 100ft Ethernet and will be moving the router to a room just below me, is this going to help?
The other issue is the light on the modem for USB is blinking which means something is trying to connect right?
If so what is it and does that impact my ability to also connect?
I know there’s also a random extender in the house somewhere but I don’t know who/if someone is using it or what kind it is; I also want to know if that has any impact on my signal as my job is work from home and I also stream for money so my whole life relies on internet which oddly was fine for weeks and all of a sudden this week went wild!
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Blinking USB light and signal not reaching

Netgear CM400 Modem and AC1000 Router

my job is work from home and I also stream for money so my whole life relies on internet

then don't waste another second with that 10 year old obsolete equipment.

just replace it.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Blinking USB light and signal not reaching

@BioHazardBeauty wrote:
Netgear CM400 Modem and AC1000 Router;

Which router is that?

AC1000 is not a unique Netgear model number. Many devices come with the AC/AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the Model Number. And, if there is one, include the "V" bit to show the hardware version. If there is no V number, then you have V1.

The only AC1000 I can find is the R6080, pretty well Netgear's cheapest router and launched seven years ago.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Nothing wrong with it being old, just don't expect too much.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7