× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Blocked Services will NOT UNBLOCK

Murby
Aspirant

Blocked Services will NOT UNBLOCK

I have a Nighthawk R6400 router.   I set it up so one of the devices in our network can not access the WAN, but can see our IP cameras on the LAN.    I did this by setting the router to assign a static IP and then using the BLOCK SERVICES function to block all services except our internal network.

It will NOT unblock.    I've tried rebooting the router, deleting the block, etc.

What the heck is wrong with this router?    It's also heating up my USB drives if I leave them plugged in.   I'm beginning to think Netgear is garbage.   They cram a bunch of features into this router and none of them work correctly.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 5
Murby
Aspirant

There is no way I'm doing a factory reset on this router..  I'll throw this piece of junk out and get a better brand before I do a factory reset and have to spend two hours re-configuring all the IP addresses.    Between the cameras, home energy monitoring systems, solar system, computers, tablets, phones, etc..     It will take me half a day to get it all working again.

If a "factory reset" is the solution to this problem, then Netgear is going to get a lot of bad mouthing from me from now on, and the local landfill is going to have another router to bury.

I'm not doing anything special..  the feature is advertised, it should work correctly..

Message 3 of 5

Have you ever tried this?

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

You can reset the thing, play around with your settings and then restore the backup in the hope that it doesn't mess up the changes you have made.

Personally, I can't follow your initial message. I get lost when people start talking about "static" IPs. That's not a term I recognise. I either have a "fixed" LAN IP address on the devices I want to connect or a "reserved" LAN IP address on the router.

The "static" word is more usually associated with the IP assigning users with a WAN IP address that does not change rather than one that is a moveable feast.

So this means that I don't understand what you are doing and why things may be going wrong.

As to the R6400, that is an ageing  (2015) router that was never considered to be that powerful, rather than a "workhorse" box like the R7800, which still has its fans.

Just another user with time on their hands.

Message 4 of 5
Murby
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Let me rephrase so I don't sound like an idiot trying to use technician terms.

I assign fixed IP addresses to each device on my network. We have about 20 devices on our local network and some of the software I use, like security camera recording, need to know the IP address of the camera it is trying to access. Some of the devices on our network, like desktop computers, solar inverters and cameras, are permanent and always connected (mostly all hardwired with ethernet cable), and some of them, like tablets and phones, come and go.

The router's software has a function that allows me to identify a device, give it a name, and manually assign a fixed IP address that doesn't change.

Under the router's security tab, there is a function called "Access Control". This function works great. Devices are either "allowed" or "blocked", and I can flip a device back and forth as I please. Apparently, best I can tell, this function stops a device from accessing the WAN and stops it from accessing the USB ReadyShare. As far as I can tell, this function prevents a device from requesting anything from the LAN or WAN, but does not prevent other devices from contacting it. That's the best description I can give.

The router's security tab has another function called "Blocked Services". This requires me to pick a service type, protocol, and which port numbers to block for that service.

If I want a device to be capable of accessing the ReadyShare USB drive, but NOT be able to access the outside network (WAN), then "Blocked Services" is where this is done. I click the dropdown box Services Type = All and choose the Protocal Type = UDP/TCP, and then all ports from 1 to 65535.

This prevents the device from communicating outside the router/firewall, but allows it to share files on our local network.

The root of my problem is that once I block services to an IP address, it would appear that the setting is permanent. Deleting the blocked services for that IP address does not work. It deletes for a few seconds, then when the router interface page is reloaded later, it comes right back. And even the temporary delete does not actually allow the device to work, it just makes it look like it does.

Thank you again for your reply and help.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series