× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bridge mode WGR614v10

Cisc-pt
Follower

Bridge mode WGR614v10

Hello 😀!

I dont have long reach on my new router. so im wondering if its possible to use my WGR614v10  and have it bridge mode? And how do i do it then? (this old router still works great

Will there be any problems that my new router is running WiFi6?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try and see. Look at the user manual for wireless bridge mode options and configuration of it. 

Possible it may not connect due to age of this router and newer security and wifi features on newer generation wifi and security features seen. 

If this router doesn't support WPA2 modes, then this router probably won't work. 

One can find used WiFi 6 routers that support wireless bridge modes and WPA2 features. NGs RAX series of routers support these features. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

That thing is old and slow. I know it stinks to throw away electronics but that device was originally released in 2003. Its time. Its security is old, its old, and its slow. 

If you're needing additional speed or coverage, its time to get something from at least the same decade. 

Message 3 of 5

@plemans wrote:

That thing is old and slow.

At 21, not even a grumpy teenager.

Very limited 2,4GHz channels. "11 in North America, 13 in most other regions." No 5 GHz

LAN tops out at 100 Mbps.

Message 4 of 5

@Cisc-pt wrote:

I dont have long reach on my new router. so im wondering if its possible to use my WGR614v10  and have it bridge mode?

By bridge mode I assume that you mean a wireless bridge. (The "bridge" word means different things in different contexts.)  The manual for this 15-year old device, based on an original from 2003, says nothing about supporting that mode. It doesn't even offer access point mode.

Will there be any problems that my new router is running WiFi6?

The WGR614v10 dates back to an era of "blazing-fast network wireless speeds of 54 Mbps". You might like to look for a newer solution to whatever you want to achieve.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7