× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Build a LAN with a WNDR3400v2

William10a
Master

Re: Build a LAN with a WNDR3400v2

The worst part the scene you paint with the mouse pointer moving and files being access by someone who broke into your network is letting them yourself under the story that they work for Microsoft's Internet security. The scam that has been going on for years a foreign sounding voice calls and  says your computer has a problem and they are from Microsoft Internet security they have you look for curtain number on your windows it will be there it has been a part every windows put out. The true scam starts when they want remote access to your computer and find errors in the event logs that are normal and offer to fix the problems with their magically software for just 400 dollars even if you refuse they say that you paid 400 dollars for their service and offer to refund but you have to give a credit card number to get it. They claim if you have a Apple computer they can fix it remotely too.

Message 51 of 58
FredReed
Aspirant

Thank you William10a,

I never heard a voice when it happened at that time. What did happen was it actually opened my files!

WHILE I WATCHED MY SCREEN!

They were MY files, with MY information on them not some psudo make believe files. I did get that

one you mentioned that actually called me on my phone and offered that $400.00 dollar fixit charge.

I have no credit card, I told him to take a hike! I already paid a reputable company for computer service, not him.

Now, every now and again I get a popup that vocally claims I have a trogan, virus etc and

claims I have to install a "Microsoft" program or call a "special" phone number to "clean" my

computer. It happens only when I'm surfing and hit on a malicious website. Their screen will lock up

my mouse pointer "clicks", all except their "button" and freeze my screen response and I'll need to use 

Task Manager to close the browser and reopen with a fresh search address. (I never click "restore browsing session")

It only happens when I tether with my smartphone and I'm online, not when I'm using my LAN which 

has NO internet connection at all. I have an Avast subscription to clean and restore operability

and speed to my computer. What I need then is an unmetered connection as it can take hours to

straighten out my computer. My NETGEAR router is working just fine and Avast has serviced my computer

through this same router when I used to have a high speed cable connection.

Message 52 of 58
William10a
Master

Run a rootkit scanning program I use one calling it's self mbar but there are many of them on the internet for free and scan for malware as well I have ccleaner that I use once again there many for free on the internet that you load a flash drive. Avast is good antivuris program and may remove malware but the rookkit will keep loading the malware over and over until removed.

Message 53 of 58
FredReed
Aspirant

This isn't a NETGEAR issue but isn't Malwarebytes able to remove the rootkits?

I use both Avast and Malwarebytes. Both highly recommended and free.

I have a W7starter, a W10 (both with Avast), a Android KitKat 4.4.2 and a Marshmallow 6,

not sure what for the Androids.

Message 54 of 58
William10a
Master

Not also from I found just the programs I like to use and found that work for me but each person has their own choice of programs they like to use have turned off pop ups in your web browser?

Message 55 of 58
FredReed
Aspirant

I'm not connected to the Internet so unless they break into my router when it's on, I get no popups or intruders.
Right now, I'm looking to access my 2 Androids from the PCs and my PCs from my Androids. Haven't figured that out yet. PC to PC is working through home groups at the moment. As normal, finding any file sharing settings on the Androids has proven elusive.
Message 56 of 58
FredReed
Aspirant

I currently have a slide show from my W10 showing on my W7 and vice-versa.
Grrrr on the Androids!
Message 57 of 58
StephenB
Guru

As we've discussed  over PM, there are apps on Android that support SMB (Microsoft Network Sharing).  Solid Explorer and ES File Explorer are two that I've used.  GoodReader works with iOS, likely there are others.

Of course that just lets you access the file.  Rendering it properly also requires the right app(s).

Message 58 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7