× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use N750 router as access point or range extender?

atomarchio
Tutor

Can I use N750 router as access point or range extender?

I've recently replaced an N750 router I was using in my home.  However, I would like to use the N750 as an access point or range extender to improve my wireless signal in a specific room of my home where the connection is poor.

I am not sure how to do this.  Please help.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
atomarchio
Tutor

Re: Can I use N750 router as access point or range extender?

I've got it working.  Thanks.

Good thing you explained to NOT FOLLOW their instructions in the manual.   That really screwed me up for a while.

Suprised at how poorly it was written.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 19

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It can be used as a wired access point.  The manual starting from page 111 has the instructions for setting it up.

It cannot be used as a wireless range extender.

Message 2 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

Everything is down now. Do I change settings on primary r7000 router or on the n750 that I want to use as either bridge or access point?

And do I want bridge mode or access point?
Message 3 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ALL changes are done in the N750 setup. Also as already stated you setup as AP and NEED a cable connection.

If you jacked around with R7000 and cannot use it which it sounds like you may have done. PUSH reset until Power Led flashes which will revert it to a router again with factory settings.

Page 113 shows how to setup as a Bridge, bridge will offer a wired connection But will not expand WIFI signal

Message 4 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

I pushed in the factory reset for about 30 seconds. The light only stayed red. How long should I keep pressed in?. I am using a paper clip.

Please help. Thanks
Message 5 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Power cycle....wait for it to reboot..... several minutes...........remove ALL other cables except power... push/hold about 10 seconds for power to flash

Message 6 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

I have this working again.  Thanks.

How can I access the settings of the N750 and not the primary router? I've read the instructions but that only gets me to the primary router (N7000) screen.

Please help.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 19
TheEther
Guru

Connect to the N750 by its IP address.  If you don't know its IP address, then you can find it on the R7000's list of attached devices.

Message 8 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

I did a factory reset on the N750 and connected to my network via the yellow internet port.

It's showing up on my router list but when I enter the IP in my browser bar it will not connect.

Is there another way to connect?  Please help.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When doing a reset it went back to router mode. Download and read through the manual.

N750 is not a model number, so you might want to use the model number going forward.

Message 10 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

I read the manual a few times now.  

From Page 111,

To set up the router as an AP:
1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port in the other router.Cable this port to a LAN porton another router
2. Launch a web browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
3. Type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.

This does not work for me.   When I type the www.routerlogin.net I get my primary R7000, not the WNDR4000 which I want to use an access point.  

Following these instructions is what got me in trouble earlier.

Can someone help me get to the WNDR4000 so I can configure the device?  So far, I can only get to the R7000.

Typing the IP of the WNDR4000 is not working.

Please help.

Message 11 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Maybe if we were talking about the same router we could fix this.

The WNDR4300 which is linked to your N750 is a previous post  ..................is not the same as a WNDR4000

THE ap mode of the WNDR4000  IS " F>>> up" 

You cannot use the WAN YELLOW port in AP MODE I reported this to NG years ago.

AP MODE doesn't work.....

Follow these instructions............Connect a cable to PC, factory reset router..........login  DISABLE DHCP....... connect using LAN port to r7000 lan port...login to r7000 ...determine the IP address of the 4000.....use address reservations to assign same IP so you won't forget it.

Message 12 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

I still can't get it to work.  

Tried connecting laptop via ethernet cable to the WDNR4000.  It still can't connect.   I factory reset.  Reboot again

I've tried everything.  It will not connect to this router.

Message 13 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

does the laptop get a IP   if not try resetting to factory defaults.... otherwise it's still in AP mode

Message 14 of 19
atomarchio
Tutor

I've got it working.  Thanks.

Good thing you explained to NOT FOLLOW their instructions in the manual.   That really screwed me up for a while.

Suprised at how poorly it was written.

Thanks again!

Message 15 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I went through this 4 years ago with 2 4000's which I've since sent to the land fill. Glad the 13 hour project work out for you. LOL

Message 16 of 19

@TheEther wrote:

It can be used as a wired access point.

Does that mean Powerline wired as well as cable wired?

In other words, rather than running a LAN cable from modem to access point, would a pair of Powerline plugs achieve the same result with this modem?

While it would normally be better to have a directly wired connection, there can be times when running a wire around the place isn't that easy. Using the mains circuit and Powerline plugs could be an alternative strategy.

I ask for the benefit of anyone else who may turn up with similar questions about turning an old modem into an "extender".

Message 17 of 19
TheEther
Guru

Yes, Powerline is acceptable. It's not as consistent and reliable as Ethernet, but it will still avoid the half duplex problem.
Message 18 of 19

@TheEther wrote:
It's not as consistent and reliable as Ethernet...

Indeed, which is what I said, but I have used Powerline to successfully "bridge" between buildings that are on the same mains circuit. An Ethernet wire would be a nightmare. In this case, the user seems to be able to go the LAN route. Much better.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7