× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Configure Internet

adamsdr3
Aspirant

Can't Configure Internet

I bought a new modem and I'm having trouble getting it to connect to my existing router. Everything was fine before I installed the new modem. Router isn't even detecting the internet connection from the modem. I know that the modem isn't the problem because I don't ahve an issue running an ethernet cable from the modem to my computer. It just doesn't work from the modem to the router. Is there something wrong with my router/network? Do I need to get a new router? As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a compatibility issue between a modem and a router. halp?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
adamsdr3
Aspirant

Re: Can't Configure Internet

I got it to work. This is going to sound really dumb....

I turned both the router and the modem off and removed the ethernet cable. I turn just the modem on with nothing but the coax and power cord attached. I waited for 2 minutes for the modem to completely initialize. Then I ran the ethernet from the modem to the router, turned it on, and wated for the router to initialize and I was good to go.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies

Which modem, which router?

What is plugged in where?

Message 2 of 10
adamsdr3
Aspirant

The modem is a Motorola MB7220 and the router is a netgear WNDR4300v3. Physically, everything is connected correctly. There's a coax cable from the wall to the modem and an ethernet cable from the modem to the router. The WiFi network is there, but I haven't been able to configure the router. Netgear's network genie doesn't detect the connection.

I should also note that the issue HAS to be the router because I can get a connection on my laptop with an ethernet cable directly from the modem. I cannot get a connection with an ethernet running from the modem to the router and an extra cable from the router to my computer.

Message 3 of 10

This isn't really the best place to get advice on Motoral modems, but let's guess what might be going on here. Did you read page 12 of the manual? Where have you connected the cable from the mode to the router? It should be the yellow (WAN) socket, not the Ethernet (LAN) ports.

@adamsdr3 wrote:

I should also note that the issue HAS to be the router because I can get a connection on my laptop with an ethernet cable directly from the modem.

This does not follow. The two may be working as designed and fighting among themselves to do what you have told them to do. For example, there may be a conflict in the way in which these two boxes are handing out IP addresses. You may need to disable the DHCP Server on the Netgear box, or on the modem.

This is just guesswork on my part, based on a bit of experience. Have you asked your ISP how to set up equipment on its system?

Message 4 of 10
adamsdr3
Aspirant

Everything is connected correctly because all I did was move the coax cable and the Ethernet cable from the back of the old modem to the new modem. I didn't change anything on the router. I checked with my ISP and everything is good on their end. It's just the router with the modem that I'm having trouble with.

As for disabling DHCP, I can't access the routers configuration settings because I did a factory restore and I'm unable to configure the routing to even get into the settings.
Message 5 of 10

@adamsdr3 wrote:
As for disabling DHCP, I can't access the routers configuration settings because I did a factory restore and I'm unable to configure the routing to even get into the settings.

Looks like you have a network configuration issue.

Unless you went into some heavy configuration changes, a factory reset just changes the username and passwords

I'll step aside and let the real experts step in.

Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

first push and hold reset until power led flashes, then use defaults

log into router with wired pc ( same as when you verified modem by direct connection )  select setup....internet setup....use PC Mac Address

reboot modem and router

Message 7 of 10
adamsdr3
Aspirant

I turned both the router and the modem off and removed the ethernet cable. I turn just the modem on with nothing but the coax and power cord attached. I waited for 2 minutes for the modem to completely initialize. Then I ran the ethernet from the modem to the router, turned it on, and wated for the router to initialize and I was good to go.

Message 8 of 10

Not so much dumb as puzzling.

Nice to have the report back. It might help someone else later.

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@adamsdr3 wrote:

Not dumb at all In fact that should be the process followed in most cases.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7