× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect my mobile device to my network (NETGEAR WG103)

deneil680
Follower

Can't connect my mobile device to my network (NETGEAR WG103)

Hey folks,

I want to connect my phone to the wireless network in my appartment, but I am having some problems with doing so, I hope someone is kind enough to help.

Whenever I try to connect my phone to my internet, my laptop automatically disconnects from the network. So I take it my NETGEAR WG103, which is a Wireless Acces Point (=WAP?) only allows one device at a time. Can I change these settings in the configuration panel of this device? or is a WAP, or specifically this model, not capable of maintaining a connection with 2 devices? What is the difference between a router and a WAP?

Anyhow, I guess any configuring of the device is done by getting into said configuration panel by typing the default IP into my browser, right? But here's the kicker, I cant seem to get into my WAP through my browser, i've tried a lot of different IPs (the default one on the back, 192.168.0.1 etc etc), but none of them seem to work. How come?

Message 1 of 2

Re: Can't connect my mobile device to my network (NETGEAR WG103)

@deneil680 wrote:

So I take it my NETGEAR WG103, which is a Wireless Acces Point (=WAP?) only allows one device at a time.

It should handle many more devices than that. As an Access Point, the WG103 needs a router in front of it to get an Internet connection.

What connects you to the Internet?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Be warned that this device came out in 2009 and is considered EOL (End of Life).

NETGEAR End of Service | NETGEAR

It has ancient wireless technology and no support for 5 GHz.

What is the difference between a router and a WAP?

See above. An AP on own is pretty useless.

i've tried a lot of different IPs (the default one on the back, 192.168.0.1 etc etc), but none of them seem to work. How come?

If the AP is connected to a router that IP address won't get you in. You need to find the IP address that the router has given it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7