× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't set Qos rule for mac address r6300

Rooyin
Aspirant

Can't set Qos rule for mac address r6300

Hello, my r6300 would not let me set a qos rule for mac addresses.

Whenever I try to set one up, it will display either duplicate policy name or if I change the policy name from Pri_MAC_XXXXX to something else, it will say that the qos rule already exists.

I have reset the router many times and have the latest firmware yet it will still display duplicate policy name or qos rule already exists.

Any way to fix this? 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pesss,

Please follow the steps below if you want to prioritize the device that you are connecting from:

1. Select the radio button on the left of the device that you wish to setup the prioritization for.

2. Everything will be auto-populated.

3. Change the priority level (Low, Normal, High, Highest).

4. Rename the device (optional).

5. Rename the QoS policy (optional).

6. Click on Apply. Clicking on Add will result to the error that you are encountering.

7. It will then redirect you to the QoS Priority Rule list. Make sure the QoS policy name is on it.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
doraemon
Prodigy

post a screen grab. 

Message 2 of 10
Rooyin
Aspirant

Untitled.pngswww.pngfsdfs.pngadad.png

Message 3 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Rooyin,

Can you try to do a hard reset on the router? Once you have reset, try to add the MAC addresses again.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
pesss
Aspirant

Hi guys.

I have the exact same problem with R6300. There are no MAC address QoS rules, but when i try to add one it says either duplicate name or rule already exists.

I have just did hard reset with no luck.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
doraemon
Prodigy

but there's no duplicate name or mac addresses from the list?

how many list you have? did you also try the reset?

Message 6 of 10
pesss
Aspirant

Yes the router is freshly resetted.

Also currently there are no MAC based rules, i have only 2 rules and they are LAN ports based. However i want to prioritize the WiFi devices.

As far as i know i have only 1 list of rules, can you have multiple and if yes, how do i access them?

Message 7 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pesss,

The way it works is that it will list all the devices that are currently connected to the network (both wired and wireless). If you already have the device/s on the list then, what you can do is highlight (select the radio button on the left) it and then you can adjust the prioritization, device name, and QoS policy name. If you want to add a device that is not yet connected to the network (not on the list) then you can just immediately manually input the MAC address of the device, device name, and create a QoS policy name for it. Make sure you click on apply afterwards.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 10
pesss
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

Thanks for your reply, that is exactly what i am doing. However, as the original OP i cannot add my rule. I want to prioritize the device i am connecting from (or any other it doesnt affect the problem). So i am selecting the radio button and the fields are auto populated. If i dont change the auto generated name when i try to apply there is an error 'Rule name already exists', if i edit the name it says ' Rule already exists'. But i have no MAC address rules applied?

No matter the device/MAC address/name i the system doesnt let me to add a MAC based rule.

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pesss,

Please follow the steps below if you want to prioritize the device that you are connecting from:

1. Select the radio button on the left of the device that you wish to setup the prioritization for.

2. Everything will be auto-populated.

3. Change the priority level (Low, Normal, High, Highest).

4. Rename the device (optional).

5. Rename the QoS policy (optional).

6. Click on Apply. Clicking on Add will result to the error that you are encountering.

7. It will then redirect you to the QoS Priority Rule list. Make sure the QoS policy name is on it.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7