× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to determine the external IP without admin access (WNR2200)

heinz11
Aspirant

How to determine the external IP without admin access (WNR2200)

Hi there,

is there a way to determine the external IP (i.e. the one assigned by the internet provider) without having to have the admin credentials to the router? I know that is displayed on the start page of the extended settings, but that requires the admin login.

Background is that I created a port forwarding rule (Minecraft, for my son) for that he can host a server once in a while. Our "old" router (now dead) displayed the external IP right on the start page, i.e. we could determine the IP without actually having to login - handy in case I am not around. For the sake of completeness, I do not want to use a DynDNS account (or something similar) for security reasons.

Any ideas on how to achieve this.

Thanks a bunch in advance ...

Heinz

Model: WNR2200|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
heinz11
Aspirant

Re: How to determine the external IP without admin access (WNR2200)

... and I got an answer from an unexpected side: regardless of the router used the website myexternalip.com gives you the IP under which you're "seen" in the internet. For my purposes that's sufficient, so feel free to close the topic.

Thanks ...

Heinz

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
heinz11
Aspirant

Re: How to determine the external IP without admin access (WNR2200)

... and I got an answer from an unexpected side: regardless of the router used the website myexternalip.com gives you the IP under which you're "seen" in the internet. For my purposes that's sufficient, so feel free to close the topic.

Thanks ...

Heinz

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7