× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to secure share

Retired_Member
Not applicable

How to secure share

I wonder if someone can help with securing my network storage.

I have a router connected to a Buffalo 1T drive. The router is wirelessly accessible to a dozen devices (all accounted for) which includes two CCTV cameras which save their recordings via ftp on a regular schedule. The camera live images are also observable over http. That drive (and only that drive) is being infected on a regular basis by the SCR trojan which is being caught by my AV defences.

I don't know how that trojan is getting there, so my thought is to reduce the access to the NAS drive until I no longer see it reappearing. Is there some way that I can accomplish this? Ideally, I'd like to be able to specify the access that the cameras, the devices and users can have and systematically deny write access until I find the source.

Model: WNR2200|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: How to secure share

I think I found the problem.

When I installed the security cameras, I set them up to ftp the footage from their internal storage to the share. I configured them to use the admin username and (non-standard) password. I enabled ftp access in the router GUI, however I did not set the password protection setting (I have now set that per your link).

So my share was exposed to anonymous access and I suspect a bot or whatever tested my IP, found the share to be open and dropped the trojan into every directory. There was nothing on the share other than security footage, so nothing worth stealing.

I can't remember whether the router GUI has password protection enabled by default, but if not, I think that should be the default so that anyone wanting to turn it off would have to purposely do so.

I shall observe the share over the coming days and check that no further nasties appear.

Many thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Retired_Member

Welcome to the community!

The only security you can enable on the attached HD is setting folder permission.

There's no way that the router can detect a virus and where it comes from.

You may probably have to do this by enabling the access on the HD one by one on every individual in your network.

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you. How do I assign access?, using Windows permissions or is there a way of specifying a users rights to a share using router options?

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you. How do I assign access?, using Windows permissions or is there a way of specifying a users rights to a share using router options?

Message 4 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member See the link provided from the previous post on how to enable folder permission.

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ok, thanks

Message 6 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member Keep us update. We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think I found the problem.

When I installed the security cameras, I set them up to ftp the footage from their internal storage to the share. I configured them to use the admin username and (non-standard) password. I enabled ftp access in the router GUI, however I did not set the password protection setting (I have now set that per your link).

So my share was exposed to anonymous access and I suspect a bot or whatever tested my IP, found the share to be open and dropped the trojan into every directory. There was nothing on the share other than security footage, so nothing worth stealing.

I can't remember whether the router GUI has password protection enabled by default, but if not, I think that should be the default so that anyone wanting to turn it off would have to purposely do so.

I shall observe the share over the coming days and check that no further nasties appear.

Many thanks.

Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're very welcome.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements