× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with WNDR4500v3: Intermittent WiFi Connection

bnc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Issue with WNDR4500v3: Intermittent WiFi Connection

Since switching internet providers twice (last one back to original provider), my wifi connection has been intermittent at lease 3 to 5 times a day, if not more. I went through my service provider who bypassed the router and it's not on their end. I didn't have this trouble with the previous provider, or before I switched back. I've reset the router and still the same issue. I've only had it since November/December last year, so it's out of tech support warranty. I don't know what else is wrong. I hope someone can help me! I'm tech savvy except when it comes to troubleshooting.

Model: R4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Issue with WNDR4500v3: Intermittent WiFi Connection

You may follow the steps here.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Issue with WNDR4500v3

Hi @bnc

Welcome to the community!

What's the firmware version installed on the router?

Is it also intermittent on the wired connection?

Make sure to avoid other wireless devices that may cause interference such as cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, etc.

Where is the router located? Try to put the router in a higher place in order for the wireless devices get a better signal.

What are the wireless devices connected (phone, tablet, computers)?

Are all wireless devices experiencing intermittent connection? How about if you move closer to the router? Will you still be disconnected?

Have you tried changing channel on the router? By the way, which signal you're connecting to (2.4GHz or 5GHz)?

Message 2 of 6
bnc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Issue with WNDR4500v3

Thanks for the welcome and reply! The firmware installed is the current version 1.0.0.32. There are no other wireless devices near the router. It is on top of my desk hutch near my PC. There are 3 to 4 wireless phones (only 1 during the day), an additional computer on a home network, and a Nintendo Wii (which is barely used).The phones and my son's PC lose connection, but it's not as bad as it was before I reset my router. All devices at night have faded in and out of connectivity, but only for a few seconds at a time. I haven't tried coming closer to the router when I've lost connection, but I'm in an adjoing room where the router is located (with 15 feet). I use both channels according to how I need to use it (distance or speed). I didn't encounter this issue until several weeks ago. How do I change channels on the router? I'm willing to try anything! Thanks again for the assist!

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may follow the steps here.

Message 4 of 6
bnc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Elaine, thank you for the help. Although you showed instructions for the router name change, the screen cap also showed where to change channels. We'll see if that helps. Thanks again!!!

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome.

Keep us updated.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation