× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for the best router for my slow DSL service

Hal2001
Aspirant

Looking for the best router for my slow DSL service

My existing router produced a max of 7.5 speed which is fine for all I do with it. but the router is about shot constant flickering of lights and speed test shows 1 or less. 

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

We still do not know how fast your DSL service is. " a max of 7.5 speed" tells us not much. So it is hard to tell where there might be any roadblocks on your network.

If you have a slow Internet service, no amount of fancy hardware will suddenly make it go faster.

@Hal2001 wrote:

A saleman sold me an ORBIWhole home wifi system dual band wifi with Ori RBR10 router and Orbi satelite. RBS10. when I got it home I read the box (didn't have my glasses in store) and it says I need a high speed connection which I certainly don't have. 

"High speed" can mean anything. I have an Orbi system working with DSL Internet service.  

The advantage of Orbi is that it gives you a good and, for most people, easily controlled local wifi service for everything you and the family play with.

But the Orbi does need a modem in front of it.

@Hal2001 wrote:

It is a Centurylink C100Z.

If you mean Zyxel C1100Z – I can't find Zyxel C100Z – that is a modem/router. You can get it to work in "bridge mode" with the Orbi, but I doubt if it will provide faster Internet. If you want to stop paying the monthly fee, then you need to buy a modem to go with the Orbi.

The bottom line is that the only way to get faster Internet is to take out a subscription for a faster service. But that may not be available where you are.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

@Hal2001 wrote:

My existing router produced a max of 7.5 speed which is fine for all I do with it. but the router is about shot constant flickering of lights and speed test shows 1 or less. 

We don't know what hardware you own or what problems you have.

By the way "constant flickering of lights" is what you want. It shows that your modem, router or whatever you own is working and that traffic is flowing through it.

Message 2 of 5
Hal2001
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. My home network is run by the router I got from my service provider, but I would like to upgrade to the best router my slow DSL connection. A saleman sold me an ORBIWhole home wifi system dual band wifi with Ori RBR10 router and Orbi satelite. RBS10. when I got it home I read the box (didn't have my glasses in store) and it says I need a high speed connection which I certainly don't have.  So my primary question is...will this even work? and will it help...or should I return it for something simpler. Spent over $100 dollars for it. I bought a repeater a few years ago and could not even make it connect to the router...I've been renting the router from my phone company for $10 /month. It is a Centurylink C100Z. Thank you for any suggestions..I haven't opened the box yet as I may need to return it...Hal

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 3 of 5
Hal2001
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I rent my router frm my service provider for $10/month. I would like to upgrade to a better one if possible. I bought and Orbi sytem router RBR10 with satillite 

RBS10.. It may be BS as the saleman said it would work well but when I got it home it says I need a high spped connection which I certainly don't have...so my main question is..will this work at all or should I get something a little simpler?Thanks for any advice, Hal

Message 4 of 5

We still do not know how fast your DSL service is. " a max of 7.5 speed" tells us not much. So it is hard to tell where there might be any roadblocks on your network.

If you have a slow Internet service, no amount of fancy hardware will suddenly make it go faster.

@Hal2001 wrote:

A saleman sold me an ORBIWhole home wifi system dual band wifi with Ori RBR10 router and Orbi satelite. RBS10. when I got it home I read the box (didn't have my glasses in store) and it says I need a high speed connection which I certainly don't have. 

"High speed" can mean anything. I have an Orbi system working with DSL Internet service.  

The advantage of Orbi is that it gives you a good and, for most people, easily controlled local wifi service for everything you and the family play with.

But the Orbi does need a modem in front of it.

@Hal2001 wrote:

It is a Centurylink C100Z.

If you mean Zyxel C1100Z – I can't find Zyxel C100Z – that is a modem/router. You can get it to work in "bridge mode" with the Orbi, but I doubt if it will provide faster Internet. If you want to stop paying the monthly fee, then you need to buy a modem to go with the Orbi.

The bottom line is that the only way to get faster Internet is to take out a subscription for a faster service. But that may not be available where you are.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7