× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing Wireless Connectivity

Double_Bogey
Aspirant

Losing Wireless Connectivity

I lose wireless connectivity to my WNR2500 router on average once a day. The firmware version is V1.0.0.32NA which is the latest version. I have the following devices connected to the router:

Dell desktop computer

Dell laptop computer

Apple computer

Netgear N300 Range Extender

Sometimes iPad

Sometimes iPhone

Uverse DVR

When the connectivity is lost, all devices lose connectivity to the router. At that point I cannot log in to the router with either Netgear Genie or by loging in with a browser. All I can do is remove power from the router. Once power is restored to the router, the connectivity is restored to all of the devices.

I have tried many things. I have looked at the router logs and don’t see anything unusual when connectivity is lost. I have checked the wifi channels and don’t see any other devices using the same channel. I have used a fixed channel selection trying several different channels. I have turned off the guest channel. I have turned off UPnP.  I have changed the Fragmentation Length. I have reset the modem to factory defaults. None of these things has helped. I still lose connectivity approximately once a day.

I have my desktop connected to the internet with a wired connection, and when the connectivity is lost to the router, I still have the wired internet connection to the desktop.

I don’t know what else to try or what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: WNR2500|N450 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Losing Wireless Connectivity

Sure! Feel free to mark the solution anytime. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Double_Bogey

Welcome to the community!

Will you have Internet access on wired connection? 

Aside from the Internet on wired, check if you are still getting a valid IP address on the wired computer. The IP should be in 192.168.1.x range. 

In this way, we can verify if the router is totally not giving out an IP address or if the problem lies on the WAN connection. 

If it's the WAN connection, it means that the router is losing your Internet IP address from your modem/ISP and your router may need to be reconfigured. 

Who is your ISP? 

If you are not getting a 169.254.x.x range when you check your IP address on wired connection, then you may want to reflash the firmware of the router.

You may have to re-upload the latest firmware available for your unit then factory reset the router before reconfiguring it manually. 

Message 2 of 10
Double_Bogey
Aspirant

My ISP is Uverse. I have a wired connection to the Uverse modem, and it maintains connection to the internet when the wireless problem is occurring.

The last time the issue occured, I set up a wired connection from a laptop to the Netgear WNR2500. I was able to connect to the router. i wnated to check the logs to see if I could see anything unusual. The strange thing is that when I connected the laptop with a wired connection, the wireless connectivity returned.

The WNR2500 has changed it's IP address to 10.0.0.1. I was reading that it does that when there is a conflict. That is the iP address I used to log in with the wired connection.

Message 3 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's odd. 

Will the SSID disappear when it disconnects the WiFi? 

As of this time, the only thing to do is to reflash the firmware. 

That's correct, the IP address will change if it detects a conflict. 

Message 4 of 10
Double_Bogey
Aspirant

Next time the wifi disconnects I will check if the SSID disappears.

I will also reload the firmware.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're very welcome. 

Is it working correctly at this time?

Message 6 of 10
Double_Bogey
Aspirant

The wireless just went out again. I connected my laptop with a wired connection and was able to log into the router at 10.0.0.1. It showed the SSID as Netgear12 which is what it should be. After connecting with a wired connection with the laptop the wireless connection to the laptop reconnected. But the wireless connection to the desktop comnuter did not reconnect. It did not show a connection in the Netgear Genie running on the laptop.

On the desktop, I disconnected from the wireless Netgear network and then reconnected, and the wireless connection came back.

I have not had a chance to reload the firmware yet, but will give that a try.

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Feel free to give us an update as soon as you have tried reflashing the firmware and factory reset. 

Message 8 of 10
Double_Bogey
Aspirant

I have updated the firmware and reset to factory defaults. So far it has not lost wirless connectivity, but I will reserve judgement for several more days.

Message 9 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sure! Feel free to mark the solution anytime. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7