× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Microsoft security started blocking my genie

BSh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Microsoft security started blocking my genie

A few days ago I noticed Microsoft security icon on bottom corner of my Netgear Genie icon. When I try to open genie I get a microsoft certificate notice if I want to allow Netgear to make changes. I say yes but the notice does not go away and will not allow me to open genie. I have also tried changing permissions/notifications from default to 0. I wasnt even aware Im using microsoft security... I use Norton. I did see an article about cleaning cache/internet tools and I did that. After that, and rebooting, I was able to open genie but only one time. That "fix" no longer works. Any suggestions and/or why has this suddenly become an issue?

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
BSh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Microsoft security started blocking my genie

Shortcut does point to program so now I know stand alone. However, last night and this morning it started allowing me again. The Microsoft cert warning still comes up but now when I say yes, it allows genie to open. Hopefully it continues allowing me.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

Which Genie is this? The standalone Windows program – if that one which version? – or the Genie bit of the browser interface?

I have Microsoft security and both Genies running happily side by side. No security alerts.

Message 2 of 7
BSh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll have to check the genie version but I do keep it updated with router model indicated. I imagine it is internet/browser based not a standalone Windows program. I use IE 11 with Windows 7. I never had a problem at all until about 1 week ago when this Microsoft Security appeared on it.

Message 3 of 7

It is standalone if you launch it from the start menu. It is browser based if you go in via your browser.

Message 4 of 7
BSh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a shortcut on my desktop that I use to access....??? so I am guessing browser based

Message 5 of 7

@BSh wrote:

I have a shortcut on my desktop that I use to access....??? so I am guessing browser based

Not necessarily.

Shortcuts can go anywhere. They can be weblinks (urls) or pointers to programs or even documents.

If it aims at:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe"

Then it is the standalone Windows thingy.

This is much more likely to upset antivirus software. But sometime that can gag on websites.

Message 6 of 7
BSh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shortcut does point to program so now I know stand alone. However, last night and this morning it started allowing me again. The Microsoft cert warning still comes up but now when I say yes, it allows genie to open. Hopefully it continues allowing me.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7