× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR R6350 Drops Internet Constantly

g2ktcf
Aspirant

NETGEAR R6350 Drops Internet Constantly

Interestly enough, the Model input field will not accept the R6350 AC1750 router that I have which already has me worried.

Several times a day, I lose my internet connection.  My ISP is stable and I can verify that the router is the issue every single time by bypassing it.  I have already reset, reflashed and bypassed the unit until I am sick of it.  

Firmware is updated as per router as V1.1.0.38_1.0.1

I have checked the MTU parameters with the router in place and bypassed and consistantly get 1472 so the 1500 setting is correct.

Cables have been replaced/checked

I just enable MAC Address Spoofing (actually the second time I have had to do this) and I am monitoring.

I have noticed that my logs clock is wrong (says 1969) and I cannot seem to change it.

Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
g2ktcf
Aspirant

For my original problem, I went through every answer and possiblity.  I monitored my ISPs uptime and just kept looking for answer.  In the end....it was a cable...and I am not kidding.  Not ONE cable but THREE bad cables as I literally changed cables three times.  All were manufactured, not terminated by me.  I am wondering how many others have changed one bad cable for another.  How many manufactored patch cables are out there tha have intermittent issues???

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
g2ktcf
Aspirant

and it dropped today at 3:30 and had to totally reboot router again.  

Message 2 of 14
g2ktcf
Aspirant

Dropped out again today at 12Noon Exactly.  Multiple reboots were required to get back online.  I changed the cable after the last dropout so I know my cables are clean.  I am using EMCO Ping Monitor to check the stablity of my connection.

Message 3 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @g2ktcf,

Welcome to the community!

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 14
plarab
Aspirant

Hi,

My R6350 is dropping all the time as well.  Did you get the answer to fix it?

I was hoping the admins would post the solutions so everyone could see them. It would help us as we try to improve our connections.  Just bought it yesterday and uploaded the latest firmware.  Seems to drop about every 20-30 minutes. Always hooks back up,but is frustrating as have to wait for a while.

Message 5 of 14

@plarab wrote:
Just bought it yesterday and uploaded the latest firmware. 

How did you update the firmware? Manually? Using the automated process in the GUI (browser interface)?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

And what is the modem in front of the router?

Message 6 of 14
plarab
Aspirant

Updated by going to Router setup and admin, then update firmware through Netgear.

I did not reset to factory settings prior or after update.  I can try this in near future. I did try changing channels as was recommended on another post, and that seemed to help, not fix it yet.

No modem in front of router, it is through United Fiber, signal through bouncing off tower, and through dish on house that cat 5 fed through house.  

Message 7 of 14
Tom53
Aspirant

I can be on the net with my computer, but when my wife turns her computer on the network drops out and I have to reboot the router. We have older systems with USB wifi interfaces. We ae on a fiber 100MBs signal. The router seems to not be able to handle more than one wifi adaptor at a time without rebooting the router. It dies and shuts down the network at times thoughout the day. I then have to reboot the router again.

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 8 of 14

@plarab wrote:

Updated by going to Router setup and admin, then update firmware through Netgear.

That still does not narrow it down.

There are two ways of using the browser to update firmware. One uses a file that you downloaded, the other tells the router to go and get it.

The second route does not guarantee that you have the latest firmware.

The best way to get the latest is to visit the support pages for the device and get the firmware from there.

R6350 Firmware Version 1.1.0.42 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@plarab wrote:

I did not reset to factory settings prior or after update. 

Try it.

@plarab wrote:

No modem in front of router, it is through United Fiber, signal through bouncing off tower, and through dish on house that cat 5 fed through house.  

That rules out a combined modem/router, with all the issues that can throw up.

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion. Not only does this get in the way of the attemnopts to fix problemns fior @g2ktcf, so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 9 of 14

@Tom53 wrote:

I can be on the net with my computer, but when my wife turns her computer on the network drops out and I have to reboot the router. We have older systems with USB wifi interfaces. We ae on a fiber 100MBs signal. The router seems to not be able to handle more than one wifi adaptor at a time without rebooting the router. It dies and shuts down the network at times thoughout the day. I then have to reboot the router again.

Doesn't sound like the same problem as the two other people in this discussion.

I suggest starting your own conversation before we all get terribly confused..

Message 10 of 14
g2ktcf
Aspirant

For my original problem, I went through every answer and possiblity.  I monitored my ISPs uptime and just kept looking for answer.  In the end....it was a cable...and I am not kidding.  Not ONE cable but THREE bad cables as I literally changed cables three times.  All were manufactured, not terminated by me.  I am wondering how many others have changed one bad cable for another.  How many manufactored patch cables are out there tha have intermittent issues???

Message 11 of 14
plarab
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Never would have guessed that the cables were bad.. Will check out.
Thanks again.
Message 12 of 14
plarab
Aspirant

I let the router search for the update.
I will try downloading the file. Thanks
Message 13 of 14

By coincidence, yesterday I wanted to connect a spare router to my laptop to update the firmware. I picked a cable from the dozens I have lying around. After several failed attempts I changed the cable and it worked immediately.

That dodgy cable came with a bit of kit. Possibly from Netgear.

Simple things can get in the way while we all moan about crappy hardware.

Grrr.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7