× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR ROUTER 150 WNR1000

DLJMCGEE
Aspirant

NETGEAR ROUTER 150 WNR1000

My router has a blinking blue light....should I been conerned.??? Can I turn off the blinking light?

Message 1 of 8

@DLJMCGEE wrote:

My router has a blinking blue light....should I been conerned.??? Can I turn off the blinking light?

Do you have any problems with the router?

Did you check the manual for what the LEDs mean?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Troubleshoot With the LEDs.

I'd be more concerned that my 14 year old router might not be good enough to meet my current needs.

No 5 GHz wifi, LAN connections limited to 100 Mbps, possibly slower than your Internet service.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

According to the manual, that light blinks when data is being transmitted. so its normal. 

@michaelkenward has a good point though. You're using a very aged router that is incredible slow. 

Unless you're on some pretty slow dsl, upgrading to something from the newer generation tech is going to have significant performance increases. 

Message 3 of 8
DLJMCGEE
Aspirant

The Netgear 150 WNR 1000 has only a power line coming in to it. The other is a flat line that plugs into a Nighthawk AX WiFi Cable Modem Router Model CAX30.  

The Nighthawk has a power line.  Also the line from the WNR 1000 plugs into it.

Nightwawk has a line to Ooma-telephone, and a coax cable from Comcast, which is probably for Internet (guessing)  Comcast cable box is never turned on.  Does it sound like the WNR is not a needed unit and could be disconnected?  

Message 4 of 8

@DLJMCGEE wrote:

The Netgear 150 WNR 1000 has only a power line coming in to it. The other is a flat line that plugs into a Nighthawk AX WiFi Cable Modem Router Model CAX30.  

I don't follow. Power line? Is the WNR1000 plugged into the CAX30?

What are you using the WNR 1000 for? The CAX30 is a cable modem router.

Nightwawk has a line to Ooma-telephone, and a coax cable from Comcast, which is probably for Internet (guessing)  Comcast cable box is never turned on. 

What NIghthawk is that? The CAX30?

What is this Ooma telephone? A VoiP phone? You can't plug that into the CAX30.

What is this "Comcast cable box"? A connection for the phone?

Does it sound like the WNR is not a needed unit and could be disconnected?  

Probably. But I can't follow what is plugged into what at your end.

Just turn it off and see what happens.

Message 5 of 8
DLJMCGEE
Aspirant

I don't what what the NWR 1000 is used for....it has been there forever.  It is plugged into elec. outlet by transformer.  It is plugged into the the Nighthawk by a LAN line.

The Ooma is a system that allows you to ditch local service (ATT for example) and all my phones, land and mobile go though it.  And yes it is plugged into CAX 30 by Ethernet cable.

I have Comcast tv but never use it, therefore I never turn the box on. But I have Comcast Xfinity internet and home security

The coax coming out of wall plugs into the CAX30

I hope this answers your questions...

Thanks...

Message 6 of 8

@DLJMCGEE wrote:

I don't what what the NWR 1000 is used for....it has been there forever.  It is plugged into elec. outlet by transformer.  It is plugged into the the Nighthawk by a LAN line.

The rest of your network seems to do everything needed.

The WNR1000 is an ancient device of little value.

A couple of options:

• Unplug the WNR1000 from the CAX30
  • Turn off the WNR1000 

All being well, nothing will happen, thus proving that you don't need this museum piece.

If something odd happens, let us know what it is.

Message 7 of 8
DLJMCGEE
Aspirant

I may try that after the Holidays....don't want to mess things up at the moment...

Thanks to all for  your input....sorry, don't know much about all this.

My partner who did, passed away last Christmas...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series