× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear 09 wireless router

ooki
Aspirant

Netgear 09 wireless router

Does Netgear require a customer to renew their router contract every six months for $79? 

I got a call 6 months ago from someone who said they were Netgear and I needed to pay to renew my router service.

I paid. I just got a call that I needed to renew again for the same amount of money. This doens't seem right.

Is this a scam? 

Elizabeth

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear 09 wireless router

Hi @ooki We would like to inquire further on your report. One of our Customer Support team will contact you regarding this.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It sounds like a scam.  Don't ever pay when receiving an unsolicited call.  Always look up the phone number online or in your manual and initiate the phone call.

Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ooki We would like to inquire further on your report. One of our Customer Support team will contact you regarding this.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 5
ooki
Aspirant

Thanks!  Now I know what happened. A few months ago My internet (satellite) had really slow speed and I called them up and they said everything was fine on their end and it was my router and gave me Netgear's number. Netgear tech service said I had to pay the money for them to fix it and they would not fix it without me signing a 6 month contract which I did.

When I got the call yesterday to renew my contract I thought someone was impersonating Netgear and if I didn't pay they would shut my router down.

I called a tech neighbor and he said that sometimes when there is a power surge the router and modem don't reboot at the same time and it's a simple fix to reboot. That must have been what happened six months ago when I called Netgear about my router problem and to recieve any help I had to sign a $79 contract. bummer!  well, now I know that I don't need a contract and don't feel so threatned and violated.

thank you for your response!!!! No contract for me!

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ooki You're welcome.

Feel free to ask the community should you need assistance with your NETGEAR device.

Have a great day!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7