× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R6350 1750ac Are Antennae detachable?

bstreet
Aspirant

Netgear R6350 1750ac Are Antennae detachable?

I bought 2 of these routers thinking they were the general R6400. Got home and found out they are R6350 which seem to have some features removed from the mainstream 6400. Does anyone know if these have detachable antennae? My main router is in my study in the far corner of my house. My den is on the other side of the house. Trying to see if using directional antennae would provide better coverage.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
bstreet
Aspirant

I finally got an answer from Netgear support about the antenna. The antenna on the R6350 is NOT detachable. I wouldn't want anyone breaking the antenna trying to remove it.

I have questions about how to proceed with my setup, but it appears I will need to open a a new thread to get answers concerning either a higher level router and/or what type of wireless extender I should get to get signal in my den.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

@bstreet wrote:

I bought 2 of these routers thinking they were the general R6400. Got home and found out they are R6350 which seem to have some features removed from the mainstream 6400.

They are different models, among Netgear's bewildering array of options.

Do you intend to run three routers on the same network? That could cause serious headaches unless you configure the R6350s as access points.

There is support for the R6350 at the end of this link:

>>> R6350 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point Only.

I see no indication that the R6350s will operate as wireless repeaters, so they need to be wired back to your (unnamed) main router.

One way to get the internet to the den would be Powerline Ethernet.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

The use one of the R6350s as an AP. Or buy Powerline with wifi built in.

Message 2 of 6
bstreet
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. I have two routers. The cable internet comes in by way of a modem only (no router on the cable modem). My plan was to use one R6350 as the router with the other R6350 as an Access Point. They are replacing two Netgear 3500L's that I used in the same way. I was able to set this up with the 2 R6350's yesterday, though more will need to be done.

I tried Powerline networking in the past. In my house I was getting dropoffs every minute or so. I do believe if I can't just use one router, the Router and AP will be the way I will continue.

However, it would be great if I could only use one R6350 router. That was why I was possibly looking at directional antennae to screw on. This particular model does not appear to let the antennae detach and I don't want to break the router trying to remove it. That's why I was trying to confirm. I'll email support today to find out on that regard.

Message 3 of 6

@bstreet wrote:

They are replacing two Netgear 3500L's that I used in the same way. 

Do you mean WNR3500Lv1?

The R6350 is a pretty basic box. Not likely to have the best wifi around. But it should be better than the old ones.

Pair one R6350 with a wifi extender and it should work.

Looking at the aerials on the router is probably a red herring. Position the thing up high and it will have the same affect as messing around with aerials. For real wifi power you'd probably do better start off a better source.

Message 4 of 6
bstreet
Aspirant

I realize I left out a piece of the puzzle. My Access Point is hooked wired by a run of Cat5e cable from my main router.

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated. What would be a more powerful alternative to the R6350? Are we talking R6400 or 6700, or should I be looking for a higher AC router. I must say I can get a couple of bars in the den from the R6350 in the study. It's not enough for me to stream some 4k movies I've backed up from my personal collection to my 4k TV that average from 66 to 130Mbps. It was playing part of them then seizing up. I'm seizing up with the R6350 as AP, but that's another problem for a new thread. My previous solution was hardwiring the TV to the AP in the den using one of the ethernet ports. The TV only has 10/100 so I believe that was limiting my bitrate and stopping playing.

What I have is just an L shaped house in reverse. Study is at the top end of the L, and Den is at the end of L. Most of my router signal in the study is going out to the next door neighbors and the street. Would mounting it in the hallway outside the study as high as I can go before the antennae touch the ceiling be a better location? It would move it one wall closer.

You may be right about about the antenna problem possibly being a red herring. I'm not certain how well they work. I could never get the homemade ones I made to make a difference. 

The old routers were great as far as stability for my network. Couldn't ask for a better option reliability wise. I just need dual band and a more robust signal that can take me over the hump to get my highest bitrate objects playable.

I hadn't looked into just an extender as I need a very robust signal in the den in order to play the high bitrate 4k files on the Sony XBR 900E 4k TV. I admit the exenders and mesh networks are intriguing, but it takes me away from what I know.

Message 5 of 6
bstreet
Aspirant

I finally got an answer from Netgear support about the antenna. The antenna on the R6350 is NOT detachable. I wouldn't want anyone breaking the antenna trying to remove it.

I have questions about how to proceed with my setup, but it appears I will need to open a a new thread to get answers concerning either a higher level router and/or what type of wireless extender I should get to get signal in my den.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7