× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear USB Control Center (ReadySHARE USB Printer) and Mac Ventura OS

Inetwl
Aspirant

Netgear USB Control Center (ReadySHARE USB Printer) and Mac Ventura OS

I have a Mac on which I am running macOS 13 Ventura. The closest Brother DCP-7040 printer driver is macOS 10.15, which seems to be compatible when directly connecting the printer to the Mac (by using a USB converter, btw).

However, the Netgear Control Center 3.1 (ReadySHARE USB Printer) does not completely install on the Mac. There is a message to the effect that it is a partial install, and to please re-install. Also, the webpage named news.trendmicro.com, 'How to Fix "macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware" Error' indicates that the app can be opened through the Finder shortcut menu, which adds the app to the whitelist. Consequently, despite the partial install, the Netgear USB Control Center opens on the Mac, but it is blank.

The DCP-7040 seems to be added to the MAC as an Air printer, recognized by the Netgear router (R6220, current firmware). However, when the test print page is sent to the printer, the page is blank. Furthermore, the printer ejects blank pages until the job is manually cancelled.

I don't know whether other drivers that are compatible with this printer are available through the Netgear USB Control Center. For example, on a Windows machine, the same printer is made available under the name "MFP..." instead of "DCP...". The printer driver may be irrelevant if the Control Center does not completely install on the Mac.

So, my questions are:
1. Can the Netgear USB Control Center be completely installed on the Mac?
2. Does the control center have a driver that is compatible with the DCP-7040, even under another name?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Inetwl
Aspirant

I located more drivers to experiment with, so it is a question of discovering a combination that works with the Mac while the printer is attached to the Netgear R6220.

For what it's worth, as previously mentioned, the Netgear USB Control Center is a partial install. I have no way of knowing whether this is associated with the Control Center being from a developer that is not registered with Apple. However, I downloaded a new copy, uninstalled the old control center, and when installing the new one, I still get "NETGEAR USB Control Center Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again." and the Control Center box is empty.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@Inetwl wrote:

The DCP-7040 seems to be added to the MAC as an Air printer, recognized by the Netgear router (R6220, current firmware).

Sadly, "current firmware" tells us nothing. It all depends on how you worked that out. The only reliable guide is the version number.

I have a Mac on which I am running macOS 13 Ventura. The closest Brother DCP-7040 printer driver is macOS 10.15, which seems to be compatible when directly connecting the printer to the Mac ....

Unfortunately. Netgear, and others, have a hard time keeping up with versions of macOS.Have you asked the Brother people for guidance?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Brother DCP-7040

Message 2 of 4
Inetwl
Aspirant

Sorry, current version of firmware on the R6220 is V1.1.0.114_1.0.1.

Yes, I asked Brother support previous to posting here. They recommended the driver that I was already using, which is macOS 10.15.

There are no plans to publish drivers that support macOS Ventura, which is not surprising. Usually they just publish software updates instead of plan dates.

The macOS 10.15 driver is not very old, and I see many messages in the Netgear community about the Netgear USB Control Center and known issues for various routers.  I tried backleveling to Netgear USB Control Center 2.46, and it does not install at all - something about a 32-bit incompatibility.

This is not a blocking issue, because I have other workarounds. I will experiment with the 2 editions of the USB Control Center and search for more drivers, and eventually there will be a combination that works without upgrading to a new printer.

Message 3 of 4
Inetwl
Aspirant

I located more drivers to experiment with, so it is a question of discovering a combination that works with the Mac while the printer is attached to the Netgear R6220.

For what it's worth, as previously mentioned, the Netgear USB Control Center is a partial install. I have no way of knowing whether this is associated with the Control Center being from a developer that is not registered with Apple. However, I downloaded a new copy, uninstalled the old control center, and when installing the new one, I still get "NETGEAR USB Control Center Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again." and the Control Center box is empty.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series