× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PC doesn't see router

Finnpak
Aspirant

PC doesn't see router

I had an older TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi router which was working very well, but I wanted better coverage throughout the house.  I had been able to connect with Wi-Fi with all devices on the older TP-LINK router.

Now with the new Nighthawk Mesh MR60 I cannot connect a Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7340 wirelessly.  The laptop had worked flawlessly with the TP-LINK router, but now I cannot connect with the new Netgear router.   The old TP-LINK is disconnected and powered down.  The firmware is updated to V1.0.6.116_2.0.54.

The laptop is running Windows 10 Professional and updated.  I have tried:

1. Rebooting the laptop.

2. Making sure the laptop wireless network is set to DHCP

3. Checked that it works with an Ethernet cable — it does.

4. Reset Network Settings on the laptop, which requires a reboot.

5. Powered the router and cable modem down and restarted both.

6. Moved the laptop to different parts of the house — it is presently located 8 feet from the router.

7. The laptop uses 2.4 GHz and I checked that other devices (such as webcams) in the house are connected ok with 2.4 GHz.

8. Turned off Wi-Fi on the laptop and turned it on again and sometimes it does see the Netgear router briefly, sometimes not.  It cannot, however, connect when it sees the router.

9. We are in a house with the closest neighbor at least 75 feet away and the laptop can see the neighbor's router, albeit weakly.

10. I have tried the Guest Wi-Fi.

11. I am also using a MacBook Air (which is connected wirelessly at 5 GHz).  I am running a monitoring program on the Mac called WiFi Explorer and it sees the Netgear network on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz using channels 7 and 153 respectively.  

12. The 2 Netgear satellites I have are connected (blue LED). 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: PC doesn't see router

What wireless card is installed in it and what driver is on it? 

some wireless cards have struggled with the new AX spec. 

Some you could fix by updating the driver directly from the manufacturer. 

In more severe cases where you couldn't update the driver, users would do one of the following.

1. replace the wireless card

2. disable AX on their router

3. Use an old router as access point. 

Message 2 of 4
Finnpak
Aspirant

Thanks for replying so quickly.  The WIFI interface is a Realtek RTL8188CE NIC.  I am trying to download the driver from Realtek now.  

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

there's also this thread that basically goes over the same. 

MK62 Networks not seen by Lenovo with Realtek RTL8... - NETGEAR Communities

a driver issue from that wifi card. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7